Abu Hamza

Jamie123

Now that Abu Hamza has been found guilty in the US, he is being stripped of his British Citizenship - despite the fact that this will make him stateless.

So I wonder what the Americans think they're going to do with him once his sentence is complete. They can't deport him. Where would they deport him to?

They'e going to be stuck with him! Unless they can find some other country to take him away. I can just imagine the sort of telephone conversation which wll be going on in a few years' time. 

*Ring Ring*

French President: 'Allo! 'Allo! Who ees this?

US President: Hello Mr. French President. This is the US President speaking. I was wondering if...

FP: Yes...?

USP: We have a really nice man here who is....er....very nice but a bit surplus to requirement, and since we're such good buddies with you cheese eating surr...err...nice French people, we were wondering if...

FP: I hope you're not talking about that hook-handed troublemaker you're trying to offload.

USP: Well...

FP: Because if you are, we don't want him any more than you do!

USP: He's not as bad as all that. He's really quite nice when you...er...get to know him...

FP: Do you really think I was born yesterday?

USP: Err...

FP: And another thing! If I hear ze phrase "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" just once more, you'll not be getting any more camembert from us! Good day to you, Monsieur President!

*Brrrrrrrr*

204 equally unsuccessful phone calls later...

USP: (to First Lady) Maybe we should have let the Limeys keep him!

You're such an optimistic fella!

I think you may be forgetting that not only do we have the death penalty here in the states (although New York doesn't at present, it changes periodically, and there are loopholes... Like if he's brought up on more charges in Pennsylvania or Texas), but our prison system has a rather high death rate.

I'm sure there's a pretty large betting pool on the number of days he survives, how soon he's in the infirmary with a non-lethal stab wound, & other -seriously repugnant- medical issues. Our prisons are not safe places.

Q

You're such an optimistic fella!

I think you may be forgetting that not only do we have the death penalty here in the states (although New York doesn't at present, it changes periodically, and there are loopholes... Like if he's brought up on more charges in Pennsylvania or Texas), but our prison system has a rather high death rate.

I'm sure there's a pretty large betting pool on the number of days he survives, how soon he's in the infirmary with a non-lethal stab wound, & other -seriously repugnant- medical issues. Our prisons are not safe places.

Q

Except that he is an Eygptian citizen by birth and British citizen by marriage... not American.  International laws apply here and Britain is a member of that International organization (can't remember the name) that prevents the US from putting him in a prison that will subject him to inhumane treatment - including getting non-lethally stabbed.  It is the US' reponsibility to make sure his incarceration fulfills the rules of said international organization...

I asked a similar question on here a couple of years ago. The UK are glad to see the backside of him, to the only country that actually wanted him - the states. Part of the agreement that the UK reached with the US on extraditing him was that he'd be treated humanely and as has correctly pointed out, that means not executing him. Assuming his life isn't cut short through other means, he'll spent the rest of his life living on the US taxpayers dollar.

From my personal perspective though, I can't get rid of him. He lived off my taxes here, and he'll be living off my taxes when I move over there!

Justice is a funny thing, you do evil and your punishment is to get a roof over your head, three square meals, a metal cot, and clean water for the rest of your life.

I actually foresee a short future for him unless an awful lot of special (expensive) care is taken to see to his safety. Would it really spark international outrage if he came to an unfortunate end in an American prison?

Justice is a funny thing, you do evil and your punishment is to get a roof over your head, three square meals, a metal cot, and clean water for the rest of your life.

I actually foresee a short future for him unless an awful lot of special (expensive) care is taken to see to his safety. Would it really spark international outrage if he came to an unfortunate end in an American prison?

I'm not so sure. They are still bound by the legal agreements they made with the UK, which in turn are bound by the European Convention on Human Rights, in order to get hold of him in the first place.

I don't know the finer terms of the agreement, but it likely wouldn't be difficult to argue that letting such a high profile and hated prisoner into gen pop within the prison where people can actually get to him is breaking the agreement.

Everyone already knows he is in greater danger than most, so if anything did happen, I don't think Europe would would look too kindly on it, and could damage EU/US relations - not something the US needs at this at this moment in time.

I predict he'll live for many years yet, but happy to come back to this thread in time and be proven wrong :)

"Accidents" happen all the time.  The only way to guarantee an accident doesn't happen would be to go beyond cruel and unusual in his "accommodations". Let's see if he trips and has a nasty fall down some stairs or something.

A guy that raped and murdered a girl in Idaho was sentenced to death until the 9'th circus overturned it.  He died of cancer shortly thereafter.  These things have a rather convenient way of working themselves out.