When the landscape of our life is brown, dry, and weary

Whenever there is a post that focuses on grace and rest and God's sustenance for us, there are those who fear that such focus will provide unwarranted cover for those who are lazy about the things of God.  Even in the evangelical world, with our teaching of salvation by faith alone, we often decry the "cheap grace" that deludes people into thinking they can live for the Devil, while claiming to follow Jesus.

On the other hand, when a post focuses on the benefits of spiritual disciplines (tithing, fasting, clothing modesty, WoW observance, etc.) there are those who will almost automatically respond that God is full of grace, mercy, rest, and that he delights when his children can relax and enjoy life.

More often than not these reactions are not a criticism of the original post, but are reflections of where the respondent is at spiritually.

I will speak directly to my pushback.  That is - that I believe we will all (righteous and unrighteous) at times enjoy the days of sun or of light rain.  Then suffer other baron days of scorching sun and bitter rain mixed with powerful winds.   The doctrine that once we taste of Christ’s living waters that we will never experience spiritual difficulties is to me a false doctrine that will cause us to misjudge others and doubt our own spiritual experiences of past abundances.

I am confused - the rich man was told by Jesus to sell all he had and follow Him- this the rich man could NOT do as he loved his possessions more. Mark 10: 19-30

The Widow (poor woman) gave not a tiny bit of her funds - but all she had, AND she did it with a willing and happy heart. Mark 12:41-44.

I don't know that the rich man couldn't give up his wealth, nor that he didn't later change his mind. (Preachers who proclaim "That rich man is now in hell!" are testifying to a lot more than they actually know.)

But remember that in the early days of the Church, the cost of discipleship could be a lot more than money.

Some examples:

St. Hipollytus - torn apart by horses tied to his arms and legs

St. Ignatius of Antioch - eaten by lions to the applause of a roaring crowd

St. Lawrence - roasted and burned alive

St. Agatha of Sicily - breasts removed (and not in a nice way like a surgeon would perform a masectomy)

St. Bartholomew - flayed alive before being crucified

St. Clement - thrown into deep water whilst tied to an anchor

St. Agnes of Rome - a curious story: she was sent to a brothel (presumably to be gang-raped) but miraculously kept her virginity. Following this they tried to burn her alive, but the wood would not ignite. Finally they beheaded her with a sword.

St. Sebastian - another curious story: the emperor Diocletian ordered him to be shot by archers, but he survived, recovered and continued preaching. He was finally beaten to death.

St. Catherine - broken on the wheel (this is how the "Catherine wheel" gets its name)

St. Symphorosa - thrown into the River Anio with a rock tied around her neck. Her seven sons were then tied to stakes, and subjected to a variety of nasty deaths.

Jesus promises that He will instill in us a fountain of living water that shall never run dry. 

"Well, that's for the faithful folks--the active ones--those with multiple callings, up-to-date home visitations, and church giving that far surpasses the tithe and standard offerings."

Really?  Jesus made that promise to a 5-time divorcee Samaritan woman, who was shacking up with her boyfriend.  He promised her greenness, moistness, and vitality.  Life--a fount that would never run dry.

Maybe it's time to get back to the essential--to Jesus?  When He is the center we can endure/bare all things.

The title of this thread is a description of my world lately.  

I want to thank you again for the reminder PC.  When I've had a particularly bad day (in whatever way) I come read your post which reminds me that I need to focus on our Savior more.  Thank you.

I will speak directly to my pushback.  That is - that I believe we will all (righteous and unrighteous) at times enjoy the days of sun or of light rain.  Then suffer other baron days of scorching sun and bitter rain mixed with powerful winds.   The doctrine that once we taste of Christ’s living waters that we will never experience spiritual difficulties is to me a false doctrine that will cause us to misjudge others and doubt our own spiritual experiences of past abundances.

I'm not sure who is teaching this doctrine.  Of course, we do not always feel intensely close to God, despite decades in his service.  Still, there is always that residual presence, even when we're not feelin' it.  Difficulties?  Oh yes!  However, we are promised it shall not be more than we are able to endure.

I just read the following a book by Sheri Dew.  She quotes Sahar Qumsiyeh (who lived on the West Bank and had to travel through great hardship to go to church in Jeruselem every week):

"Through all the upheaval, she has learned that the "only true peace has to come from the Price of Peace Himself, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  The peace that the Holy Ghost brought into my life after I was baptized has remained with me during days of trouble and conflict."

I don't think anyone has ever taught that we won't have trials or hardship, just the opposite.  The notion expressed in Travelers post (quoted by PC) I believe is a misunderstanding.

I know that I personally feel the Savior more (taste of the living waters more) when I focus on Christ regardless of the trials that are surrounding me.  Sometimes I find it hard to do when I'm in the middle of circumstances and problems.  I often forget.  But then I find something that reminds me and the "living waters" do flow into my soul and circumstances aren't so bad.