Does awareness breed sadness?

prisonchaplain

Many of us are passionate about grappling with "big picture" issues.  Whether we discuss current political events, trends in the church/religious world, our the moral state of society, we take a certain satisfaction in being aware, in having intelligent analyses--in knowing what's right and wrong.  As Christian believers in the second coming of Jesus, we sometimes retreat to "Well, the LORD must be coming soon..."--especially when our analysis point to society's decay.

I wonder if we sometimes carry an unnecessarily sad tune.  We may lament today's reality, but we have an inner joy, right?  Yet, when we talk with others, do we sometimes fail to communicate that latter part.  I'm starting to consider my own young adolescent children.  As I share my concerns about things like gay marriage, the efforts of some colleges to de-recognize religious groups (especially Christian ones), etc., am I communicating hopelessness?  How can I balance the very real decline I see with the Blessed hope, the sure confidence that I have in Christ?

Well, to me, that's the beauty of the gospel. Hope in hopelessness. The hope is personal. The world, by prophesy, is doomed. But even so, we can all find peace and joy through Christ. So the hopelessness of the world is a natural opener for the hope in Christ. The hopelessness in the world leads to the natural question -- what can we do about it. The answer, is to come to Christ.

Guest MormonGator

Happiness is often times a choice. It's hard sometimes to be happy in this world-but we have the glory of the restored gospel with us. One of my favorite stories of Joseph Smith is when he carefully rebuked his brother after his brother "caught" him playing a game with some children.  Hyrum thought it was "beneath" the status of a prophet, but Joseph knew that it was just harmless fun and gently told Hyrum to relax and let it go. 

Being happy doesn't mean looking at the world with rose colored glasses. I get that there is a lot of suffering out there-but there are those with much less than you and I that are very joyful. 

I am a recent convert (little over a year) after checking out many other churches. One thing that attracted me to the LDS church is the joy for life all the members have. 

Edited by MormonGator

Does awareness breed sadness?  No.

Awareness breed faith and hope.

In my observation, doom-and-gloom Christians (and yes, I'm generalizing) have this egotistical tendency to think that if they can't get others to come to Christ that it's somehow a mark against them.

If we offer our work to Christ and realize that it is the Holy Spirit that converts, then we can carry on and toil in the vineyard offering our best efforts to Christ and let God have the glory and allow Christ to carry the burden of Atonement freeing our consciences from the choice of others.

Edited by anatess

Perhaps part of the answer is simply being intentional about my communication.  We all have our default mode--what we do/say/think when we're operating "on auto pilot."  Mine is probably to try to be wise with my words.  These natural inc linations are a gift from God.  Nevertheless, if we know ourselves, we can fine tune our communication, to assure balance--especially with our children.  I want my children to be aware, but to be confident and to walk in the joy of the LORD.  So, I may to ask myself, from time to time, if my communication infuses joy into their lives.

Edited by prisonchaplain

My kids are too busy improving on themselves to worry too much about the decay in others beyond their control.  I don't know if this has become a trend or something... but ALL of the girls that send text messages to him are contemplating or have contemplated killing themselves.  My son just goes with the flow telling them about the Plan of Salvation and how killing one's self prevents them from helping others in the same desperate situation.  And that's really all he has time for at this moment in his life.

But then, our house is more about the grand possibilities of a wonderful future (like, wow!  We landed a probe on the meteor!  Can't wait to see if we get aliens to communicate with us!) rather than the plight of the honeybees and the 2nd Coming...

Edited by anatess

Guest MormonGator

My kids are too busy improving on themselves to worry too much about the decay in others beyond their control.  

You are doing this parenting thing right. It took me years to stop worrying about things beyond my control and focus on improving my own circumstances. 

Obviously Anatess has not read some of the Christian novels I have--the ones in which the aliens always turn out to be demons.  :eek:

Yeah...maybe I I need to just turn that parenthesis around?  :-( ... to :-)

I grew up on Damien Omen and The Exorcist - both books I read when I was 13... so aliens turning to demons are like... sweet!  LOL.  My husband, of course, sits with the kids to watch Walking Dead.  They think it's hilarious...

I guess that's why our household is not as contemplative of society's decay... we're decayed ourselves.  Hah!

I see nothing wrong with expressing honest feelings.  If things of the world bring sadness to you - I believe you should express your sadness.  If you can feel joy during turmoil and trouble - you should express that as well.  I am convinced that the way to destroy yourself is to find some way to feel guilty for your feelings. 

But if one is not finding joy in things that are virtuous, lovely, of good report and phrase worthy - There is obviously a spiritual problem.  Likewise if you find joy in things that are unjust, ugly, violent and should be shunned and condemned there is an obvious spiritual problem.  I am often amazed at the spirit many invite into their homes in the name of "fun" entertainment.