White Privilege and Jewish Self-Hatred

srmaher

To begin with, the idea of "white privilege" is disgusting and destructive. We have already witnessed what these kind of ideas have produced. More specifically, in the aftermath of post World War I, many Left-wing Jewish Intellectuals actually thought that one of the best ways to deal with antisemitism was for Jews to recognize their own anti-semitism in themselves.Instead of healing, it reinforced the anti-semitism that already existed in Germany.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put the pieces of the puzzle together in that the same foolish ideas are being propagated by left wing white liberals today. The narrative is that whites don't realize how racist they are. Therefore they need to be re-educated about their unknown "white Privilege," and racism.  Whats scary is that these ideas are actually being taught as part of curriculum in elementary schools. 

White privilege conference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJpvFnL6dOk

Wisconsin Holds White Privilege Conference You think they make this stuff up, but it’s real.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/political-diary-wisconsin-education-follies-1403521121

Does anyone really think pushing the narrative that whites are somehow privileged is going to help heal racism? Only those on the left think so, which ironically comes from left wing white intellectuals. Those that are pushing the whole "white Privilege" scam reminds of a guy name Kurt Tucholsk'y. I am going to write more about him soon because his experience is so closely related to ours. 

You can read about Kurt Tucholsk'y in an article published in 1968 called, Tucholsk'ys complaint 

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article/kurt-tucholsky-and-the-ordeal-of-germany-1914-1935-by-harold-l-poor-kurt-tucholsky-what-if-translated-by-harry-zohn-and-karl-f-r/

Guest LiterateParakeet

Why does everything have to be political?  Those "Left Wing Liberals"....I believe in White Privilege (I already made my thoughts clear on this topic so I won't reiterate them here).  I'm not a Left Wing Liberal.  I don't claim to be Conservative either. There are things I both agree and disagree with in both parties. Ideas don't need to be connected to political parties.

To begin with, the idea of "white privilege" is disgusting and destructive.

But very real. I think psychologically speaking, it makes us very uncomfortable the possibility of knowing that we have certain "privileges" solely based on our race (and if anyone happens to travel abroad, particularly third world countries, things will be much easier to understand) but I think it is easier for us to deny it exist.

We have already witnessed what these kind of ideas have produced. More specifically, in the aftermath of post World War I, many Left-wing Jewish Intellectuals actually thought that one of the best ways to deal with antisemitism was for Jews to recognize their own anti-semitism in themselves.Instead of healing, it reinforced the anti-semitism that already existed in Germany.

I fail to understand the comparison?. Nobody is saying that the idea of "white privilege" will cause racism to cease.

Why does everything have to be political?  Those "Left Wing Liberals"....I believe in White Privilege (I already made my thoughts clear on this topic so I won't reiterate them here).  I'm not a Left Wing Liberal.  I don't claim to be Conservative either. There are things I both agree and disagree with in both parties. Ideas don't need to be connected to political parties.

I wish everything didn't have to be political, but unfortunately politics has found its way into everything. Including sports, but thats a whole other discussion. So why is that everything seems to be political? You might find this article interesting which helped me better understand this. http://www.libertylawsite.org/2014/11/19/what-tocqueville-can-teach-us-about-the-culture-war/

As to you being a left wing liberal. I am not accusing you of being one. But the media is, and they are the ones propagating such. All I am saying is that this idea is toxic, and if we continue to go in the direction we are heading I don't think its going to end well. I enjoy our civil discussions! 

But very real. I think psychologically speaking, it makes us very uncomfortable the possibility of knowing that we have certain "privileges" solely based on our race (and if anyone happens to travel abroad, particularly third world countries, things will be much easier to understand) but I think it is easier for us to deny it exist.

I fail to understand the comparison?. Nobody is saying that the idea of "white privilege" will cause racism to cease.

I didn't say that the idea behind white privilege was to end racism. But it does fuel racism. It causes division and resentment. As to white privilege being very real, how?  

. As to white privilege being very real, how?  

Simple. There are certain things we take for granted that are NOT available to other races without a struggle but because we do these things on a daily basis, we seems to assume everyone is able to do just as we do. Just to mention a few:

1. I can move to an expensive neighborhood and I can be assured that my neighbors wouldn't start gossiping that I am downgrading the area just because I happen to be black or of any other race/ethnicity.

2. I can shop in the most expensive stores, use my credit cards or purchase cash without the store attendants assuming that I cannot afford it (if I ask the price of an expensive item) or that I stole the money or be followed throughout the store just because I am not white.

3. No one ever assumes that I am uneducated or I do not speak English, just because my skin color is different or I have an accent.

4. If I happen to travel to a third world country, I will be treated as a queen/king. The same "privilege" it is not given to other races.

5. I can be nasty, rude, curse, steal, dress inappropriate, fight and nobody would ever make a direct connection between my behavior and my race.

6. I can talk about racism all day without being labeled as "pulling the race card".

"White privilege", to me, seems to boil down to this:  A person inside a particular racial/ethnic group (e.g., "whites"), will find it easier to gain acceptance within that same group, than persons not members of that group will have to gain acceptance in that same group.  I imagine that the same is true for pretty much any other ethnic group.

You don't hear anyone talking about "Korean privilege" in Korea, or "Persian privilege" in Iran, or "Japanese privilege" in Japan, or "Arab privilege" in Saudi Arabia, or (ulp!) "black privilege" within predominantly black neighborhoods in various cities around the US.  They exist, and are symptomatic of a broader "herd mentality" that is innate to human culture.  But our intelligentsia isn't really interested in that; because on the whole they actually like herd mentality in principle (ask one of 'em how many openly Conservative or practicing Evangelical Christian friends they have)--they just happen to want to restructure the particular "herd" that we commonly call "whites"; and so they invent narrowly-directed terms like "white privilege" to make us believe that we're a singularly dysfunctional society.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Simple. There are certain things we take for granted that are NOT available to other races without a struggle but because we do these things on a daily basis, we seems to assume everyone is able to do just as we do. Just to mention a few:

1. I can move to an expensive neighborhood and I can be assured that my neighbors wouldn't start gossiping that I am downgrading the area just because I happen to be black or of any other race/ethnicity.

2. I can shop in the most expensive stores, use my credit cards or purchase cash without the store attendants assuming that I cannot afford it (if I ask the price of an expensive item) or that I stole the money or be followed throughout the store just because I am not white.

3. No one ever assumes that I am uneducated or I do not speak English, just because my skin color is different or I have an accent.

4. If I happen to travel to a third world country, I will be treated as a queen/king. The same "privilege" it is not given to other races.

5. I can be nasty, rude, curse, steal, dress inappropriate, fight and nobody would ever make a direct connection between my behavior and my race.

6. I can talk about racism all day without being labeled as "pulling the race card".

Instead of going through each of the six examples one by one, let me ask you this. Do you think it is a good thing that "white privilege" is being taught in our schools, from elementary all the way up to the University level? 

Edited by srmaher

The following is a partial list of the many privileges I enjoy:

- Tall guy privilege

- 1st world country privilege

- Live in the world's only superpower privilege

- College educated privilege

- Born to two married parents who loved and raised me privilege

- White privilege

- Male privilege

- Live in a stable democracy that values personal liberty privilege

- etc.

The following is a partial list of disadvantages/handicaps/misfortunes/whatever the opposite of privilege:

- Overweight

- Introverted to the extent that it affects my body language

- Tragic background that it occasionally hampers my happiness

- Mormon, in an area that doesn't much value religion

- Lack of coordination

- Poor, deteriorating eyesight 

- Prone to certain medical conditions

- etc

You'll notice that both lists contain both 'blessings of birth' over which I have no control, and things that are indeed in my control.

Everyone has a similar list.

Ya single one out, ya limit your destiny, or your options, or what you can accomplish in life, or however you want to think about it.

And that's just goofy.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Here are just a few privileges I don't enjoy -

1. There is no assumption that I'm a racist because the color of my skin.

2. My opinion on racism is not disregarded because of the color of my skin.

3. I don't carry the full historical weight of genocide, slavery, and destroying the environment.  

4. When I achieve anything people think it's because of my merits and hard work not my "privilege" based on my skin color.

5. I can safely use the "N" word as a non-pejorative.

6. I can drive thru unsafe neighborhoods and not be in extra danger because of my skin color.

7. I can shop at the most expensive stores dressed like a bum or a thug and the store attendants assume I'm a wealthy rap mogul.

8. I can send my kids to school knowing they will receive a balanced, accurate account of the great scientific and social advancements their ancestors brought to our civilization including ending slavery and bringing about civil rights and not just  years and years of re-hashing the mistakes those of my skin color made.

9. I have many more scholarships available because of my skin-color.

10. I can apply for a job and beat out higher performers because my skin color fills a quota.

11. I get special consideration when applying for school based on the color of my skin.

Edited by Windseeker

I used to do tons of volunteer work to help out Bosnian refugees in the days of Milosovich... they were all white.  When I try to place them in apartment complexes in the "nicer" neighborhoods, I'd get this same reaction.

This is more about statistical probability that brings in a prejudiced perception than it is about race.

You have not seen Pretty Woman?  She's white.

Nobody assumes that black people can't speak English.  Asians, yes.  But then Asians assume Americans - black or white - are uneducated.  Hah.

But the way you speak is a strong indication of your education.  It's not the accent more than the vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, all contributing to one's ability to express one's thoughts in a manner that is easily understood by the specific audience.  There's a reason Language Arts is a required component of the American Educational System.

Philippines, Mexico, Brazil... yes.  Philippines are crazy about Hollywood movies - and if you haven't noticed, in Hollywood, Native Americans, Blacks, and Italians are gangsters, while Cowboys are heroes... but then Native Americans have really cool names (hah ha, no, Filipinos sympathize with their indigenous status) so they get a pass... which leaves Blacks to be feared and Whites to be revered.  But Black Catholics are okay - because there are a lot of black saints, Saint Martin de Porres being one of the favorites.

Dubai or any of the UAE countries, no.  White women who don't cover their hair in certain areas of these places could disappear at any given moment.  South Korea, no - they're extremely patriotic that this California-born Korean got kicked out of his k-pop band because he said he misses the US... but it's a puzzle because their pop stars make themselves look like westerners with their gyaru make-up and beyonce-inspired clothes... Northern Vietnam, no.  There was a time when having half-white children could mean death to the child.  Lots of UN work has alleviated that problem, though.

This is not just a black or white situation though... one of the surest ways to insult a person from India is to call him a Pakistani...

You think?  In the Visayas area of the Philippines... the Spanish word for Milk is a profane word - Milk indicates white skin which is synonymous to debased character.  That's why I had to elope to marry my white husband...

And... this is the reason a lot of people hate Americans/British in the Middle East - they see white folks as nasty, rude, and immoral.

Haven't you noticed that when white people say the word "black" in the middle of the restaurant they feel inclined to whisper it?  They can be talking about a black purse and they whisper the word black...