Quick dinner ideas

The thing is - when I'm really tired, I hate doing things... so, I kinda try to make it fun so I will look forward to making it.  You know?

But yeah, I also do crockpot ones.  Those are really easy - just drop in the crockpot (even frozen) in the morning, dinner by night-time.  I've had several nights where I would put cut up whole chicken in a crockpot with the gizzards, add a big can of pork and beans... set it and forget it.  No seasoning, no nothing else.  And then have the rice on the rice cooker - set and forget... dinner is served 6 hours later.

I make a sort of homemade hot pocket that's pretty good on the calories depending on what you put in them.

Take pre-made pizza dough (you can find it with the biscuits and cinnamon rolls) and spread it out into a rectangle. Put the ingredients in that you want (I go with cheese and ham/turkey most often, but I've made some with pizza sauce and pizza toppings too). Roll it up and pinch the ends so the dough stays together. Cook for the time amount listed on the package.

Super simple. I had 30 minutes on Monday between coming home from work and leaving to go to YSA FHE and I was able to get it prepped and cooked and sliced before needing to leave. Had to eat it while driving but it's very manageable!

All this talk about food preparation really mystifies me.  Many times for dinner I'll have a bowl of shredded wheat and a glass of orange juice, and I'm happier than Julia Child at a caviar festival.

Reminds me of that joke about restaurants for single people.  There are no tables or chairs, just a lot of kitchen sinks that diners can stand at and eat over.

I'll make some Vegetarian Slop tomorrow night and share the photos, but they won't be even remotely comparable to anatess's photoculinary triumphs here tonight.  Good grief.  When I was a kid, my grandmother sent me to school for years with a peanut-butter-and-mayonnaise sandwich on Wonder Bread.  It wasn't until many years later than I found out that other people thought this was really weird.

All this talk about food preparation really mystifies me.  Many times for dinner I'll have a bowl of shredded wheat and a glass of orange juice, and I'm happier than Julia Child at a caviar festival.

Reminds me of that joke about restaurants for single people.  There are no tables or chairs, just a lot of kitchen sinks that diners can stand at and eat over.

I'll make some Vegetarian Slop tomorrow night and share the photos, but they won't be even remotely comparable to anatess's photoculinary triumphs here tonight.  Good grief.  When I was a kid, my grandmother sent me to school for years with a peanut-butter-and-mayonnaise sandwich on Wonder Bread.  It wasn't until many years later than I found out that other people thought this was really weird.

Cold Cereal is always good. Shredded wheat or Captain Crunch or Honey Nut Cheerios

Cold Cereal is always good. Shredded wheat or Captain Crunch or Honey Nut Cheerios

You know, about 20 years ago when the Usenet first came out, I used to scan the cooking newsgroups and browse the recipes.  As a prank, a friend and I posted a spoofed recipe for a "healthy low-fat meat casserole" that intentionally used the most unhealthy ingredients we could think of.  As I recall, you pressed fatty ground beef into a cookie pan, slathered a thick layer of cream cheese on it, and then pressed sticks of butter into it.  Then you rolled it up and deep-fried it in lard.  You covered it in a "light sauce" made from cream and egg yolks.  We did the math, and each serving was like 4200 calories and had something like 350 grams of saturated fat.  It was a heart attack on a plate.

Sadly, our recipe is no longer online, I just Googled it.  But we got a lot of comments from people who didn't realize we were joking and asked us whether we really thought it should be called a "low-fat" recipe.  Cooks are kindly people.  

30 months ago we bought over $600.00 worth of Dehydrated/Freeze Dried foods from Emergency Essentials. One of those items was FD Asparagus bits. Both of us really like asparagus. What a disappointment. When rehydrated they were 95% tough, woody bits. Blah! I put the lid back on and shoved them to the back of the storage cupboard. 

The other day I figured I had better do something with them besides ignore them. So I got out my Nutri Bullet, using the grinder blade I turned those nasty bits into dust. 

A few nights later I was in need of filling comfort food. To me that is noodles under hamburger gravy. Hamburger gravy = scrambled and drained hamburger, can or two of cream of [your choice of: mushroom, celery, broccoli, tomato, etc.] soup. Mixed into the water [1/3 of each can of water, use a rubber spatula to get all of soup out] I put some of the asparagus dust. 

What I do is add water to the cans, scraping the inside of the cans with a thin, small rubber spatula then put the water into a 4 cup pyrex measuring cup. Nuke it to near boiling, then whisk the asparagus dust into it. I added about 1/4 of a cup of dust. Stir this into the hamburger and soup mixture, bring to a boil. Serve over whatever shape & flavor pasta you like. Sometimes I add chopped onions and celery if I have them. This time I also added diced carrots. If your burger gravy is too thick, add a splash or so of milk, making sure that it is mixed in well and gets good and hot. 

Hubby doesn't like this, so I fed him eggs, waffles and ham. 

Hubby doesn't like this, so I fed him eggs, waffles and ham. 

I really wonder if cooking is a sex-linked trait in humans.  The concept of "asparagus dust" is quite fascinating, but all that work!  Here's one of the most complex recipes from my portfolio:

BEANS.  Empty can of black or kidney beans into dish and microwave for 3 minutes.  Can be eaten even if not heated uniformly throughout.

In our house, if I asked my husband to make dinner, he would cook meat.  That's it.  No vegetables, no salad, no side dishes of any kind.  He has gotten a little better through the years.  The other day he cooked up some chicken and actually added some frozen veggies!