Reading vulgar book in English.

DrivenForSuccess

Hello everyone. Just want to ask for advice. I have an AP English class, and have just started a book 'Into The Wild'. It has already dropped an F-bomb in the first chapter... I felt the drop in spirit just seeing that filth on the page. Should I suck it up and continue the book? Should I ask my teacher what alternatives there are? I'm not sure how I could get out of this, we have a few big point assignments based on our reading of this book. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

If I were you, I would explain to my teacher that I neither use nor wish to hear (or read) such vulgar language, and ask for an assignment for a book that does not feature crude language or sexual activity. If s/he asks why, you might explain that you consider both language and sex to be sacred gifts from God and that their misuse is offensive.

Hello everyone. Just want to ask for advice. I have an AP English class, and have just started a book 'Into The Wild'. It has already dropped an F-bomb in the first chapter... I felt the drop in spirit just seeing that filth on the page. Should I suck it up and continue the book? Should I ask my teacher what alternatives there are? I'm not sure how I could get out of this, we have a few big point assignments based on our reading of this book. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

This is a tricky one  - because while the book has a bit of swearing and 'adult' content, it does challenge the reader to examine his or her values in our materialistic society. You can learn a lot about yourself from evaluating Chris McCandless experience. In the book, this young man questions what he sees is the soul-less materialism in society. He gives away all of his possessions, including $25,000 and sets off on an existential quest to  'find himself' or his purpose in life. (As Latter-day Saints we also have to find our own truth at some time, and not simply accept what we've been told, so we can all relate to this experience.) Some readers interpret Chis as brave, others as bit of a spoilt brat. Either way he doesn't come to a good end. I have not met a teenager who didn't enjoy  this book, although my students are predominantly non-members who aren't sensitive to swearing.

I don't know how old you are, but I personally wouldn't want anyone under 16 to read this book because the themes are quite mature (it was after all written with adult readers in mind). 

I'm sure your teacher can offer you an alternative text on the topic of self-exploration that you can read for your assignments.  Maybe you could ask to read 'Life of Pi' instead - it too is a story of survival, morality and perceptions of truth.  'Into the Wild' is an easier read though...

If you are taking an AP literature class, be prepared for this issue to come up at least a few times. Many of the texts we consider classic literature, even ancient ones, contain content that you may not feel comfortable with.

Edited by lagarthaaz

You won't be able to avoid adult themes when studying classic lit. They are writing of the world. 

You will find the prophets and general authorities well versed in classic literature. Many conference talks reference classic works. That is one thing I really liked about President Hinckley, and that we hear from President Monson, they don't just quote LDS writings and history.  One of President Hinckley's favorites was O'Henry. O'Henry often made fun of Mormons and used a crude word or two.

I imagine your teacher is already prepared for this sort of situation and has an alternate book in mind.

Now, I have never read the book but hear it has merit. That may be, but I don't think that automatically makes it appropriate for high school students. I'm all for great literature, but there are times and places and seasons and all that. (Were you in college, I'd tell you to remember your morals, make a decision and deal with it. )

Edited by Backroads

I'm not sure where you are growing up, but I was surrounded by vulgar language. It's something you learn to tolerate, even if it is not appreciated.

Just a little food for thought, The bible is filled with stories that involve sex, adultery, violence, strong words of condemnation.... This doesn't stop us from reading the bible.

Here is what I ask you, and you should ask the teacher, Does this book glorify the vulgar, or tell a story that can be contemplated, have a good moral, and ponders the human condition. If the book seems to be smutty, or promoting evil, by all means voice your concerns.

For what it is worth I have read into the wild and found it to be a thought provoking book.

First, I don't think it's ever wrong to bring up particular concerns to a teacher.  They won't know any differently unless/until you do so.  Just make sure you make it clear you want to fulfill the assignment and aren't just trying to get out of it so ask for another option.  

Just because some have been ok with it, doesn't mean all are or that you should be.  Some people are more sensitive to certain things than others and that's just fine.  Content in certain movies (not R) would bother me for days so I learned to just avoid it altogether.

I hope your teacher is understanding.  Good luck!