Cinderella as a deeply Christian movie

prisonchaplain

Hmm. I definitely did not think of it in such an allegorical way when I saw the film, but I see what he is getting at. I left the film thinking that for a live-action retelling of a classic but rather simple film, they did not add much in terms of dialogue or character depth. But we were shown rather than told a lot of things, and I can't fault the film for that.

And frankly, I was just relieved that it wasn't another "Maleficent."

I did not take the tale as being a Christian allegory either.  Yet, after reading the article, I see everything he said makes sense.  Would it not be interesting if the producers had no intention of making spiritually-under toned movie--and it just was?  On the other hand, many of us know that the Chronicles of Narnia was an intentional Christian allegory.  Yet, I'm sure many have read the book, and never realized.

I felt the same way about Interstellar and (surprisingly) Avatar. I am sure that neither director meant for those things to be there, but there are truths that just cannot be ignored, that reveal themselves in our storytelling. 

Man of Steel was full of Christ-like symbology, but director Zach Snyder said that it was all, in fact, intentional.

I really thought so. Kal-El's birth is miraculous, during the scene in the church he is shown standing right next to a painting of Christ and it comes across as very deliberate, Kal-El spends time alone in the wilderness to learn of himself and his role, Kal-El's age during most of the film is 33, and a couple of times during the big battle scene(s) he streaks through the sky with his body in the shape of a cross. And there are lots of other things too, but most could be said to just be part of the classic hero figure in literature. 

This article has a couple of quotes from Zach Snyder on the matter: http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/14/showbiz/zack-snyder-man-of-steel/

I haven't seen Superman Returns in a long time, I will look it up again. The comics themselves were quite packed with Christian ideas when they first started, so I wouldn't be surprised. The above article says that his earthly adoptive parents were initially named Mary and Joseph! 

Edited by char713

I hope to see Cinderella this Saturday it's my birthday gift to myself. I love all the Cinderella movies, I suppose I m kinda a mushy girl

Though a co worker who is a male love the movie and said he d like to see it again.

Edited by Roseslipper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I quite like Maleficent but onto topic, I can see where Christians might connect Cinderella to Christianity, though I think many stories can be even if not intended to be so. And yes, did read the article :)

Bini...I've even heard arguments that Harry Potter (gasp!) was a Christian-themed movie, because of the overriding good vs. evil motif.  Muggles were not mere unbelievers in magic, but of the spirit realm.  Yeah, I didn't buy that one...but are we not always interpreting life through our worldview?

I consider myself a near-expert in matters relating to the Harry Potter books. I feel very little affection for the films that were (loosely) based on the them. But I do believe that the novels were meant to have strong Christian themes, there is even a Bible verse quoted in the final one (1 Corinthians 15:26.) But that is not the point of this thread, so I shall not try to derail it by getting into this subject more (unless people want to talk Potter, goodness knows I'm always down for that!)

I think we would be hard pressed to come up with a story of any kind that did not have some, even very slight, connection with or allusion to Christian truths. 

Edited by char713

I could probably come up with a bunch of storylines that would reflect Christian values, or seem to directly reflect the story of Christ and Lucifer. I actually ended up quite enjoying Cinderella the second go around. The soundtrack is most pleasant as well.