Boy scout executive committee approves gay scout leaders

RMGuy

The individual is then required to complete YPT, which is supposedly available on line, 24/7.

Unfortunately IT HARDLY EVER WORKS! 

No problem! You don't have to do YPT training online

Q13: Can a council or district organize Youth Protection group training for its adults?

A13: Yes. It is encouraged that adults take the training via the online module, but the instructor-led model is still acceptable as long as the most current version of the Youth Protection DVD is used and the end-of-course quiz is proctored by the trainer at the end of the training session. Reminder: It is critical that training completion certificates be issued after successful completion and that a formal training record roster be submitted to the council registrar so proper credit can be recorded in the profiles of each participant. http://www.scouting.org/Training/YouthProtection/QA.aspx

You can even find the training guide here:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/100-023_WB.pdf

You would still need to talk to your local council to see who can do the YPT training.

• 5 weeks later...

1.  Two-deep leadership at all times.

2.  Again--at campouts, no adult is going to be sexually attracted to any of the teenagers present; whereas if my teenaged kid goes to his/her best friend's house, there's at least the potential for attraction between my kid and the friend's heterosexual parent of the opposite gender.

Re # 2... Do you really believe that? re the campouts

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2015/05/12/man-pleads-guilty-to-sex-offenses-during-camping-trip/

This was an 18 year old "man" who was the bad guy. 

In my life time there are two institutions from which I have personally been threatened by homosexuality while a member and involved with the organization.  The Boy Scouts of American and the United States Army.  This was in a time when homosexuality was considered evil and there were legal ramifications.  Such intrusions always began with what seemed genuine interest and friendship but at some point became physically violent.

I would like to say that such experiences have had no or little affect in my life and behavior - yet to this day hugging or showing any affection to any male is very uncomfortable to the point of being repulsive to me - even being physically affectionate with my own children or grandchildren is most uncomfortable.   I shutter to think what this upcoming generation will be afflicted with and how individuals will defend themselves - both physically and emotionally.

Some argue that to take advantage is not the reason that homosexuals want access to the Boy Scouts or the military.  I will believe that when I encounter a situation of a homosexual taking advantage of someone in the military or Boy Scouts and is stopped by another homosexual.  If anyone has such a story - I would be glad to at least know that it can happen.

In my life time there are two institutions from which I have personally been threatened by homosexuality while a member and involved with the organization.  ...

I would like to say that such experiences have had no or little affect in my life and behavior - yet to this day hugging or showing any affection to any male is very uncomfortable to the point of being repulsive to me - even being physically affectionate with my own children or grandchildren is most uncomfortable.   I shutter to think what this upcoming generation will be afflicted with and how individuals will defend themselves - both physically and emotionally. ...

In my own life experiences I, too, have been personally approached.  I felt shocked but I never felt threatened. My experiences did not come via contact with gay leaders, but they did come through associations in the LDS church.  I can say unequivocally that such experiences had no adverse affect on my life or behavior. Moreover, I sincerely appreciate hugging and displays of affection with other males under appropriate circumstances--they are not repulsive to me.  I appreciated the physical contact I received from male leaders in church, sports, on my mission, etc.  I particularly came to appreciate the physical contact among males that was natural in the culture where I served my mission.  Moreover, I have worked alongside men and women who "outed" themselves and I have felt no unease nor reluctance in forming professional relationships and even friendships.  I guess life can be very different for each of us respectively and even under similar (although not identical) circumstances.

Edited by UT.starscoper

Re # 2... Do you really believe that? re the campouts

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2015/05/12/man-pleads-guilty-to-sex-offenses-during-camping-trip/

This was an 18 year old "man" who was the bad guy.

The incident you cite is an excellent reason why gays shouldn't be accepted as BSA leaders. Nonetheless, LP's question was why slumber parties are less acceptable than Scout overnighters; and the fact is that a teenager is statistically *far* safer from sexual assault in a group of straight people of the same gender, than in mixed company.