Traveling Car Repair Scamming people in Orem area

OREM — Police are warning drivers about a group of traveling car repairmen who push people into quickly paying them hundreds of dollars for frequently shoddy work.

"In all accounts they're very pushy, they're very aggressive; in some cases they've been very vulgar," Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez said Monday. "In one case that I've heard about, they put duct tape over a dent and painted over it to look like it was finished."

Martinez said the city has seen the group's work before — as recently as a couple years ago.

It's believed the group continuously travels the country, duping unsuspecting drivers with car damage.

Read the rest of the story here:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=35594408&nid=148&title=police-traveling-car-repairmen-victimizing-people-in-orem-area

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

Guest MormonGator

Yikes. Glad you posted this. When it comes to cars I am like Daniel walking into the lions den! 

I joke with my sister (she's a huge NASCAR fan and can even change the brake pads in her car!) that I'm the only mid 30's guy who calls his little sister for car advice. 

Honestly, basic stuff like changing the tires, oil and filters, and even the brake pads, is good to know. I taught my wife this stuff around the time we got married. I have done a less spectacular job teaching our kids, but I've sort of taught them, for the most part. (Add a few more qualifiers to that.)

Guest MormonGator

Honestly, basic stuff like changing the tires, oil and filters, and even the brake pads, is good to know. I taught my wife this stuff around the time we got married. I have done a less spectacular job teaching our kids, but I've sort of taught them, for the most part. (Add a few more qualifiers to that.)

That's why AAA is for. 

Honestly my sister has taught me the basics, but me changing a tire is like a gorilla doing calculus. It just hasn't stuck with me. 

My little 2013 Ford Fiesta is a stick, and I can drive that. That's about as "manly" as I get.  

I've taken marital arts and boxing lessons since I was in 6th grade though. That counts for something!  :P

Edited by MormonGator

I worked as a Service Advisor for several years .... When I take my car in for service I don't share that info .... I am always curious what they are going to call and tell me.

It's the fuel pump, and all your fluids need changing...and your tires need rotating...and the belts are worn...and your timing belt is due to be changed.

(It's amusing how many say my timing belt needs to be changed, when any decent mechanic who listens to it with the hood up can tell it's a chain.)

Edited by NightSG