Conflicted after Stake Conference

Jane_Doe

That is only true if they are not fully obeying. There is not principle of the gospel that does not fall under obedience, and there is not falling short of any principle of the gospel that does not fall under obedience.

Obedience is the means whereby we become.

No disagreement here.  I simply like Elder Bednar's concept of becoming.  

Edit: Obedience is the first law of heaven. The Gospel is about obedience (John 14:15). The Gospel is about faith, hope, and charity.  The Atonement is applied through obedience. It would be impossible to apply the Atonement in one's life without obedience, and if not for obedience there could have been no Atonement. I just really really like the concept of becoming :) as taught by Elder Bednar.

Edited by Anddenex

The peace we feel when doing right in any given moment is the purpose.

This comment I find utterly fallacious. The purpose is to gain our eternal exaltation. The work and the glory of God is plainly stated, and obedience was given to this end. How we "feel" about keeping the commandments is irrelevant. While I agree that we will find peace in doing so -- eventually -- the plain fact of the matter is that sometimes stepping up and doing as the Lord has asked us to is hard, uncomfortable, and feels very little like peace. The peace will come from it if we are diligent and faithful, yes. But even if it didn't, the purpose remains. Our exaltation. If we obey we will be saved. If we do not, we will not. A failure to feel peace from obedience will not change that.
Eternal exaltation is simply a means to an end and that end is glory, joy, and peace. That is what our Heavenly Father wants for us and that is always what obedience brings.

You write of difficulties faced trying to keep the commandments. But to those that obey the spirit these difficulties are external not internal. If we follow the spirit of the Lord we will be free from such trouble, not after thousands of years but now. Elder Holland testifies, “There certainly can, and will be plenty of external difficulties in life; nevertheless, the soul that comes unto Christ dwells within a personal fortress, a veritable place of perfect peace. ‘Whoso hearkeneth unto me”, Jehovah says, “shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil’ (Prov 1:33)” (Jeffery R. Holland, “Come Unto Me”, Ensign Apr 1998, see also CES fireside March 2, 1997 at BYU). If we cannot find that peace in our souls then there is something amiss with how we are living our lives. Even if we are living the letter of the law.

If we cannot find that peace in our souls then there is something amiss with how we are living our lives. Even if we are living the letter of the law.

Yeah. Probably that we aren't, actually, living the letter of the law and we're lying to ourselves saying that we are when we, in fact, are not actually anxiously engaged at all.

I challenge anyone to live the letter of the law, fully and with diligence and determination, and not grow closer to God and find more peace in their lives.

Conversely, I'm not sure what you're suggesting as an alternative.

‘Whoso hearkeneth unto me”, Jehovah says, “shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil’ (Prov 1:33)” 

What, exactly, do you think "whoso hearkeneth unto me" means?