Book on supporting evidence for Book of Mormon?

Sunday21

Maybe I haven't been here long enough.  But I believe this is the first time I've seen you two fighting.

Yeah, you haven't been here long enough.  :)

TFP vs Vort on church stuff is a good watch... bring out the popcorn and sit on the sidelines and you're for sure going to get educated.

Same for Traveler vs Vort when it comes to scientific stuff.

Connie, I didn't watch the video (yet), but I know the name Ron Meldrum. If you spell it backward, it's Murd Lemnor. Furthermore, Ron is the guy who insists most fiercely on the so-called "Heartland Model" of Book of Mormon geography, going so far as to condemn as faithless or unbelieving those who hold to a central American setting. His extreme devotion to this relatively unimportant point (whether or not he is correct, which I think he probably is not) marks him in my mind as something of a crackpot. So I would tend to take whatever he says with a grain of salt. Too bad, especially if he is providing solid reasoning; but as I have found on this very forum, when you gain for yourself a reputation, even if you think it undeserved, you won't live it down.

Vorp, excuse me I mean Vort - His name is Rod Meldrum as in Rodney not Ronald.

Do you have evidence that Rod Meldrum has condemned other Mormons for differing opinions. I've looked but can't find anything yet.

M.

Vorp, excuse me I mean Vort - His name is Rod Meldrum as in Rodney not Ronald.

Do you have evidence that Rod Meldrum has condemned other Mormons for differing opinions. I've looked but can't find anything yet.

M.

No, I think I won't. Despite my seeming attack, I have no grudge against Brother Meldrum and don't wish to defame him. If you are sufficiently interested, it's easy enough to find context for what Brother Meldrum and his detractors those who disagree with him have written. Then you can decide for yourself whether my description is overboard. I tend to hold to more of a Mesoamerican model of the Book of Mormon, which might have something to do with how I perceived his statements.

I tend to hold to more of a Mesoamerican model of the Book of Mormon, which might have something to do with how I perceived his statements.

Sentimentally I hold a Mesoamerican model, intellectually...the Heartland model makes a lot of sense to me...but I'm really intellectually in the <shrug>mm-mm-mm</shrug> group.

Sentimentally I hold a Mesoamerican model, intellectually...the Heartland model makes a lot of sense to me...but I'm really intellectually in the <shrug>mm-mm-mm</shrug> group.

I've been looking a this for five decades. Can't afford to go to all the potential sites, but the references I have seen lead me to the Mesoamerican model for a number of reasons.

Not only did Joseph say that the Nephites landed in Peru (a place much bigger in 1935 than the country with that name covers today), but he pointed to it in talks about BoM geography.

Primarily it's the visit of Christ to the Nephites: it only took them one night to round everyone up. Simply not possible if they'd had to go from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon, and from Hudson Bay to Terra Del Fuego. Even the limited geography model is still extensive.

I also look at the Promised Land in Asia: David's empire was a tiny place, and yet it has all the requisite space needed for the events that took place there. And it was, like the area north of Guatemala, a natural cross roads where people going anywhere had to pass.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Where is the Peru statement?  I read it in Jesus the Christ, but I cannot find the source material for such a statement.  And I'd be hard pressed to find someone who says that Talmage doesn't do his homework.

I replied to this. It got deleted or lost. In short, the South American landing is a third-hand late report and unreliable. And the idea that "everyone" gathered to see Christ is just wrong.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Guest MormonGator
On January 26, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Vort said:

I tend to hold to more of a Mesoamerican model of the Book of Mormon

I do as well, for what little it's worth. 

To be honest though, it doesn't really effect my faith. I just find it a very interesting topic. 

<Lost to site maintenance>

We drove through Adam-Ondi-Ahman on our way to Nauvoo.  We stopped for a picnic and basic site seeing stuff.  The Church has built a beautiful park-like setting there.  There was a sign that spoke of a wall built by the Nephites that was somehow related to the altar that Adam built. (don't remember the details--that's why I was hoping someone else had moe details.)

The best I can remember the sign said it was supposed to be the temple site.  But the Nephites built it on the wrong spot. 

So we went down the trail to go look at it.  I had gaged that we had walked far enough and was frustrated that we hadn't seen it.

Carb: Where is that wall?  We should have come across it by now.

Mrs. C: It's gone.

Carb: What?  How?

Mrs. C: The sign said it was taken down due to safety concerns just this past year.

Carb: What?  What sign? (she rolls her eyes as if to say "the one you missed, apparently). It's been sitting here for thousands of years and just this past year it became unsafe?

Mrs. C: The sign didn't say.  My guess is that kids climbed all over it and various tourists took stones out of the wall as souvenirs.

AARRGHH!!

My guess as to why the Nephites built it on the wrong spot was that the prophets of their dispensation did not need to know the exact site because it was not for them to build.  That honor was reserved for our dispensation.  But they had a pretty good idea and made a guess anyway.  Or it could have been built by Moroni in his wanderings.  And all he could do was build a wall that was essentially a landscaping retaining wall.  And he didn't have the proper tools to either locate or build it on the exact right spot.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Carb: What?  What sign? It's been sitting here for thousands of years and just this past year it became unsafe?

Ah, tourist, able to make just about anything unsafe! Did you happen to talk to anyone about the missionaries having to weed out the wild marijuana at Adam-Ondi-Ahman?