Trivium -- Temple

Is it okay to cheat...sometimes?

"The Ogden Utah Temple was the first temple dedicated in the state of Utah; the four previous temples were dedicated in Utah Territory over 78 years earlier."

That's interesting.  I like trivia like this.

Okay, not temple trivia, but...

In early church history, what do the names Enoch, Ahashbah and Pelegoram all have in common with each other?

Okay, not temple trivia, but...

In early church history, what do the names Enoch, Ahashbah and Pelegoram all have in common with each other?

I think it has something to do with the D&C and original names if my memory serves me but I can't remember anything more than that.

Winners! Winners! Turkey Dinners! (no leftovers from the Chicken dinner, sorry)

"Some of the earliest revelations received by Joseph were directed at specific individuals in the Church. During the winter of 1831-32, secular newspapers in Ohio, after acquiring some of the revelations, began ridiculing Church leaders whose names were mentioned. To lessen embarrassment to his officers, Joseph began in March 1832 to identify certain individuals in revelations by code names. Joseph himself became "Enoch". He gave such names as "Ahashdah" to Newel Whitney and "Pelegoram" to Sidney Rigdon. Years later the real names were added in parentheses and the 1981 edition of the D&C no longer listed the names at all."

What I've heard is that code names were also sometimes used in revelations dealing with the United Order or Church-initiated business ventures, for fear that enemies of the Church might try to torpedo the plans by filing strike suits against their principals.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Okay, one more. Don't want to give my source yet, in case someone cheats...

What ever became of the stone box that held the golden plates? Could you travel to Hill Cumorah and find it today?

In 1875 David Whitmer said it had been washed to the bottom of the hill, and a Smith family acquaintance said the stones had been removed as of 1893.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Well it appears I need to find some other trivia that is harder. Correct again!

"Often ignored in LDS history is the fate of the stone box in which the golden plates were deposited on Hill Cumorah and to which Joseph was led in 1827. Once the plates were removed, neither the prophet nor anyone else appeared interested in the fate of the stone box itself. Almost fifty years later David Whitmer was interviewed by a Chicago Times reporter who wrote that "three times has he [Whitmer] been at the hill Cumorah and seen the casket (box) that contained the tablets and the seer-stone. Eventually the casket had been washed down to the foot of the hill, but it was to be seen when he last visited the historic place."

JAG's post would add even additional info on the stones being removed as of 1893.

We need Carborendum back with his play on words trivia.

Edited by NeedleinA