What Are Your Thoughts On This Passage?

Guest Yediyd

Guest Yediyd

I have been reading my scriptures today, and as I was reading in D&C 138...it dawned on me...Jesus Christ will not actually be seen by those who have been assigned in the telestial kingdom. According to D&C 138, when Jesus went to preach among the souls who were dead in between the time he died on the cross and his resurrection...he actually organised missionaries to minister to people who had not believed or accepted him in life...as I read this, it dawned on me...if they don't believe now, what makes them so certain that they will believe later? Jesus will not just walk up to them and introduce himself, they will be expected to have FAITH in him even AFTER this life!! WOW!! That never occurred to me!!! My mother has said many times that she has no desire to accept the gospel now, but after she dies...she is sure she will change her mind, my friend, (Andrea) has said the same thing to me..I always comforted myself with the thought that after they died...they would see the truth...but now, after reading D&C 138...I am not so sure!!! I know that we will take our personalities with us to the afterlife...and if we are in denial about WHO Jesus is, what makes any of us think that we will not continue to be in denial in the Spirit world? This is a very sobering thought for me and IS NOT directed at ANY particular person on this board, just the impressions I got as I was reading today.

I would like to hear other people's response to these thoughts, but I hope this does not open a can of worms. I am not trying to start another "board war", I am truly pondering the things that I read about in D&C 138...and would like to hear other's thoughts on this passage.

(for those of you who do not have a copy of the Doctrine and Covenants, you can read the passage here:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/138

I had a very wise, very good religion teacher at BYU, and he told us the same thing. He told us that even after we die, we will be the same and will have the same tendencies, all that would be different is that we know we are dead. I raised my hand, snotty RM that I was, and said I disagreed, that after I died, I'd know that I had made mistakes and that I'd rectify them then. He looked at me and asked if I was doing things I knew to be wrong then. I said 'of course'. He asked me if I knew they were wrong. I walked into his trap. 'yeah' I said. He then asked me if I knew they were wrong why I didn't change? I had the knowledge, right?

He said the look on my face as the 'lights' went on told the whole story. And I realized that there is no such thing as deathbed repentance. If you have no desire to do it now, you aren't going to magically change once you die. Faith is as much a principle in the afterlife as it is here.

Good insight Yed. I hadn't thought of that incident in years. He was one of the best religion teachers I had at BYU.

Kind of to go along with that six....a Stake President explained to us that certain feelings due to addictions would follow us as well. Such as smoking. You would still feel that nicotine withdrawal but unfortunately never have the cigarettes to satisfy. So sort of a living hell in that aspect. How would you like having a nicotine fit for eternity? I had not thought of that talk in years. This subject just brought back that memory.

These are just my own ponderings based on the scripture:

I believe there is a difference between someone that knows the Lord and someone who believes in him. I do feel that some people who have different faiths know the Lord better than some Latter Day Saints. I see him in the countenance of people. Those people I believe are like the Pagan lady in the new testament - you know the story with the dogs and the crumbs off the table. When she saw Christ her faith was strong and she recognised him with no teaching - some people I do believe will be like that.

But there are also the Dwarves like in Narnia who were only for the Dwarves and could not be persuaded that they were in heaven and thought Aslans roaring was an earthquake.

-Charley

Guest Yediyd

Thank you, everybody for your thoughts...I agree with you, PC...the Bible says: TODAY is the day of salvation, NOW is the time to repent....I still think that repentance will be possible in the afterlife, but I believe that those who have no desire to change now will not get some "opiffiny" later.

I agree with you. That makes me think alot. I guess that we will only see them when we are judged, because we will see God the Father and Jesus at our final judgement, yes? If not until then, that would be kinda scary for some people. They will never believe until their final judgement ,and by then it would be too late. hmmmm... that makes me think some more.....

Guest Yediyd

I agree with you. That makes me think alot. I guess that we will only see them when we are judged, because we will see God the Father and Jesus at our final judgement, yes? If not until then, that would be kinda scary for some people. They will never believe until their final judgement ,and by then it would be too late. hmmmm... that makes me think some more.....

Exactly! This is what gave me pause, today... I am thinking of a Jewish friend of mine that I love dearly....I have comforted myself into believing that I will convince her in the Spirit world...now, I am not so sure and it makes me sad...I love her so much!!! But this passage has really started my head to pondering and re-thinking some of the things that I previously took comfort in...

...I went back and read D&C 76 today, too....been thinking about this stuff a lot today....

Yeah, it makes me pause and think about some of the notions I had believed on before. I guess faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and repentance are eternal, and are needed after this life. How far past our mortality, I am not sure. Isnt there a passage that thru faith on His name, worlds were created, or something like that? My memory is a bit vague. I will have to look that up to see if there is a scripture like that. If so, it may mean that even after our judgement...........no, wait, we would see Jesus at our Judgement, so is faith needed afterwards? Am I sounding too confusing here? Help me out....

Guest Yediyd

It is pretty clear to me that Faith is something that G-d requires...I don't know for how long...but I am confident after today's reading that it will continue after this life...I know that EVERY KNEE will bow, but I am not confident that every heart will repent or accept him even on bended knee....

It is pretty clear to me that Faith is something that G-d requires...I don't know for how long...but I am confident after today's reading that it will continue after this life...I know that EVERY KNEE will bow, but I am not confident that every heart will repent or accept him even on bended knee....

This is true.....and every tongue shall confess.........

Guest Yediyd

There has to be a reason that missionaries are needed in the afterlife...this is a computer world...there will be few who have never heard of Jesus...I believe the mission field will be to those who did hear and chose not to believe...I'm just now realizing that the truth will not be right in their face as I once assumed...I think Jesus will still require the souls to have FAITH that he is who he says he is...I don't think he will reveal himself to non-believers...but those of us who accept him now will be welcomed by him, this is a hope of mine, that is...I just fear for loved ones...I am not as confident about their futures as I once thought I was...

a Stake President explained to us that certain feelings due to addictions would follow us as well. Such as smoking. You would still feel that nicotine withdrawal but unfortunately never have the cigarettes to satisfy. So sort of a living hell in that aspect.

How can that be? In that case wouldnt you feel hungry and thirsty too?? That does sound like hell to me!

Guest Yediydforyou

a Stake President explained to us that certain feelings due to addictions would follow us as well. Such as smoking. You would still feel that nicotine withdrawal but unfortunately never have the cigarettes to satisfy. So sort of a living hell in that aspect.

How can that be? In that case wouldnt you feel hungry and thirsty too?? That does sound like hell to me!

Good question, Aphrodite...but Jesus is the water of life and we will have the tree of life, so I think G-d has food and water covered...

You mean Jesus eats and so does God? Um...... yeah. They were once human, so I would assume so. I dont know their biological makeup, so I dont know if they need to.... then again, before the fall, adam and eve ate. God told them so. So eating was known before the plan started, per se. Also..... No unclean thing can dwell with god, so cigarettes, tobacco, caffeine, etc, unnatural addictives.... yeah, they arent there in heaven.