Question for Aish HaTorah

pam

I didn't want to derail the other thread...sorry tesuji.   

This is in response to what I would be afraid of at a synagogue.  This is totally my understanding and you can correct me if I am mistaken.  I understand that men and women sit on different sides.  I guess I'm just afraid if that were the case I'd go to the wrong side. :)    And I think it's just wanting to really be respectful.  I mean, we would hope for the same thing of anyone coming to one of our places of worship.  You just don't want to do the wrong thing that might be disrespectful.

18 minutes ago, pam said:

This is in response to what I would be afraid of at a synagogue.  This is totally my understanding and you can correct me if I am mistaken.  I understand that men and women sit on different sides.  I guess I'm just afraid if that were the case I'd go to the wrong side. :)    And I think it's just wanting to really be respectful.  I mean, we would hope for the same thing of anyone coming to one of our places of worship.  You just don't want to do the wrong thing that might be disrespectful.

I speak a lot about "flavors" of Judaism.  Your question is no exception.  In Orthodox (Hasidic, Modern, etc.) synagogues, women and men are separated.  In some cases, they cannot even see or speak to one another during services.  In (most) Conservative congregations, as well as Reformed and Reconstructionist, women and men sit together.

There are other major distinctions in the way services are conducted between the various movements.  (Women not reading from the Torah, for example.)

I think, for the most part, curious visitors would be warmly welcomed to a synagogue.  I am curious, however, how this would play out with Jewish sentiment toward LDS practice, from what I've been hearing on this site.  This is in part why I started the new thread in the Jewish sub-forum.

Do you have any synagogues near you?

2 hours ago, pam said:

Come to think of it, I suppose I would share your proclivity for fear if I were to enter a lot of churches.  Like you, I always wish to be respectful of other belief systems.

I attended a funeral for the mother of one of my friends once at his church (he is Catholic), and I thought I would have holes burned clear through me with all the stares I received.  I just knew they were thinking I was personally responsibility for what happened to Yeshua (Jesus).  Ok, this is a bit overly dramatic perhaps, but it is how I felt nevertheless.  During visits to other churches, I felt warmly welcomed.  Perhaps it just depends on a person's faith and upbringing.

6 hours ago, Aish HaTorah said:

I know there is a Chabad for greater Salt Lake.

I also get to Las Vegas on occasion so maybe you could introduce me. :)

I have another question but it's not related to the above question.  I'll ask it here, if that's ok.

Aish, my understanding is that a Jewish man marrying a non-Jewish woman would have non-Jewish children.  A Jewish woman marrying a non-Jewish man will have Jewish children.  Is that right?

Also, is it true that it is a contradiction for Christians to claim that Jesus is the son of God and then claim that Jesus is descended of David because Joseph is not Jesus father by blood?

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 1:15 AM, anatess2 said:

I have another question but it's not related to the above question.  I'll ask it here, if that's ok.

Aish, my understanding is that a Jewish man marrying a non-Jewish woman would have non-Jewish children.  A Jewish woman marrying a non-Jewish man will have Jewish children.  Is that right?

Also, is it true that it is a contradiction for Christians to claim that Jesus is the son of God and then claim that Jesus is descended of David because Joseph is not Jesus father by blood?

My apologies, tess, I just noticed your post.

To your first question, you are correct.  In general, Jewish ethnicity is traced through the matrilineal line.  I say generally, because this has not always been the case.  Take Ruth for example.  She is the ancestor of King David, the greatest of all Jewish kings, and she was most definitely NOT Jewish.  Many Jewish scholars attempt to say that she converted, but I have seen little evidence to back up this claim or dismiss it.  Currently, the State of Israel recognizes children born to Jewish mothers and not Jewish fathers as Jewish.  This has religious, political, and ethnic implications.

As for your second question, I have not heard of this.  Do some Christians make this claim?  We certainly do not accept the Yeshua of Christianity to be the Mashiach (Messiah) for whom we are waiting.  We do not recognize his divinity, but we certainly recognize his historicity.

On 4/16/2016 at 2:15 AM, anatess2 said:

is it true that it is a contradiction for Christians to claim that Jesus is the son of God and then claim that Jesus is descended of David because Joseph is not Jesus father by blood?

Not at all.

There are two genealogies of Jesus in the New Testament. One is generally thought to be Joseph's line, the other Mary's. Both go back to David.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

44 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

I was sitting here wondering where everyone was, and then it occurred to me.  CHURCH!  :)  Does everyone go to church at the same time?  It is always on Sundays?

Yes, it is always Sundays, except for where it isn't.

In Israel, for instance, we meet on Saturday because that's when most people are worshiping. In Saudi Arabia, it's Friday. But, in general, it's Sunday.

Keeping in mind that the earth is round, and there are 24 (at least) time zones, we can't all meet at the same time. Typically, there are three, 3-hour blocks when we meet. This depends on how densely we are packed in a given region. The first block starts at 9:00 am and goes to noon. The second at 11:00 and runs 'til 2:00 pm. The last block begins at 1:00 pm and continues until 4:00 pm local time. Each block includes several meetings. One hour and ten minutes (the first period or the last) is Sacrament Meeting (or Fast and Testimony Meeting once a month). The are 50 minutes for Sunday School, and a full hour for Priesthood, Young Women, or Relief Society (for men and women, respectively). This is for adults and young men and women (age 12 and up).

Sacrament Meeting is for all ages, but the children under 12 have Primary for an hour and forty minutes. Primary is divided into two sections, of roughly the same duration: "Sharing Time" when those between 3 and 8/9 sing and hear (and give) talks while the older children (9~11) have classes. Half way through, they switch. In smaller wards the two groups may do everything at the same time, Sharing Time all together.

The Young Men and Young Women also meet for 1½~2 hours once a week on a weekday evening (typically 7:00~8:30/9:00). This meeting is more socio-religious than our Sunday meetings which are nearly 100% religious.

There are also four times a year we have conferences: General (April and October) and Stake (ours are in February or March and about six months later). General Conference is broadcast around the world via satellite internet, radio, and television. Saints may participate at home, or in one of the Church buildings nearby. There are also a limited number of seats available in the Salt Lake City area for the Conference Center, the Tabernacle, and the Assembly Hall. I have heard that the Church rents the Delta Center (or whatever it is this week), but I don't know that for a fact. General Conference is six, two-hour sessions. The first is the last Saturday of March for Women, at 6:00 Mountain Time. The second and third are on the first Saturday in April at 10:00 and 2:00 Mountain Time. A General Priesthood session, at 6:00 Saturday, is the fourth meeting. The next morning we meet again at 10:00 and finally at 2:00.

Stake conference is in four sessions. The first, on Saturday afternoon, is for local ward and stake officers. The second, Saturday evening, is a session for adults (sometimes including Young Men and Young Women). The third, Sunday morning, is a general session for all members of the stake. A General Priesthood meeting for men 12 and up is also part of stake conference, but it may or may not be held on the same weekend. If so, it's Sunday evening. Local practices may vary.

Now that I've thoroughly confused you, we return to your regularly scheduled discussions.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

22 hours ago, Aish HaTorah said:

My apologies, tess, I just noticed your post.

To your first question, you are correct.  In general, Jewish ethnicity is traced through the matrilineal line.  I say generally, because this has not always been the case.  Take Ruth for example.  She is the ancestor of King David, the greatest of all Jewish kings, and she was most definitely NOT Jewish.  Many Jewish scholars attempt to say that she converted, but I have seen little evidence to back up this claim or dismiss it.  Currently, the State of Israel recognizes children born to Jewish mothers and not Jewish fathers as Jewish.  This has religious, political, and ethnic implications.

As for your second question, I have not heard of this.  Do some Christians make this claim?  We certainly do not accept the Yeshua of Christianity to be the Mashiach (Messiah) for whom we are waiting.  We do not recognize his divinity, but we certainly recognize his historicity.

Thank you for the answer to the first question.

The 2nd question came from an argument I got to witness between a traditional Jew and a Messianic Jew.  I used to work with this Israeli company and they are all Jews but there was one Jew who is Christian... they were talking about the prophecy of the Messiah and the traditional Jew was saying that Jesus couldn't have been the Messiah prophesied because of several prophetic claims unrealized - one of which that as Christians believe Jesus is not the blooded son of Joseph then he couldn't have fulfilled the prophecy of lineage from David through Joseph's line as outlined in the book of Matthew in the New Testament.

41 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

one of which that as Christians believe Jesus is not the blooded son of Joseph then he couldn't have fulfilled the prophecy of lineage from David through Joseph's line as outlined in the book of Matthew in the New Testament.

Uh...so...if He is the literal, biological Son of God, then He can't be the Messiah over some genealogy issues?

My brain hurts.

12 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Uh...so...if He is the literal, biological Son of God, then He can't be the Messiah over some genealogy issues?

My brain hurts.

Well, it offers a contradiction which makes the claim that he is the Son of God questionable.  Basically, Christians have to explain how the Messiah prophecy of the Messiah coming from David's loins is fulfilled when Christians claim he is the Son of God and not the son of Joseph.  Basically - what's the purpose of God giving these clues to the prophets that we may know Christ when He comes when God would just turn around and ignore the prophecies He gave.

The Messianic Jews, like the LDS, believe that this specific prophecy is fulfilled through the genealogy in Luke and not in Matthew.  The genealogy in Luke is Mary's line.  Yes, Jewish tradition runs blood lineage through the Father (the claim of the traditional Jews that reject Christ as the Messiah)... but as Jesus only has the blood of Mary and not the blood of a father, then the lineage has to go through Mary, eschewing Jewish tradition.

Edited by anatess2