Struggling with LDS in laws

ebie1995

On 4/23/2016 at 8:18 AM, letmeoff said:

You don't know what a biotheist is, so don't assume you do.

I read a little Greek and Latin.

An atheist has no god, because "a theis" means no god. A theist has a god (although the specific is unstated). A prytaneologist worships the state (prytaneo- seat of government/judgement; -olatry worship).

Elsewhere you said:

On 4/23/2016 at 4:40 AM, letmeoff said:

[Your husband] doesn't own your soul you know, no one does but life.

It would be more common to say "… no one does but God."

So, if biotheist doesn't mean your god is life, what does it mean?

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

7 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

I read a little Greek and Latin.

An atheist has no god, because "a theis" means no god. A theist has a god (although the specific is unstated). A prytaneologist worships the state (prytaneo- seat of government/judgement) -olatry worship.

So, if biotheist doesn't mean your god is life, what does it mean?

Lehi

The here and now is not life, it's reality. You have to enter life through the narrow gate, you don't get life until you've learned how to love.

9 minutes ago, letmeoff said:

The here and now is not life, it's reality. You have to enter life through the narrow gate, you don't get life until you've learned how to love.

This is getting tedious.

If you reject my definition of biotheist, why  not just tell us what you mean by it?

Lehi

7 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

This is getting tedious.

If you reject my definition of biotheist, why  not just tell us what you mean by it?

Lehi

I don't reject your definition, just your understanding of what's being defined. My ideas will be clear enough once I settle in and post more.

As you go about doing so, letmeoff, you'd be well-advised to give the LDS.net site rules a nice good reading.  Especially these:

3. Personal attacks, name calling, flaming, and judgments against other members will not be tolerated.

4. No bickering and nit-picking toward others. Realize that sometimes it is very difficult to be able to express how one feels through written words. Please be courteous and ask for a further explanation, rather then trying to attack and find holes in someone else's post.

You're welcome here as long as you follow the rules, no matter how nutty people might consider your ideas.  If someone breaks these rules against you, feel free to report the post and the mods will handle things.  

On 22 April 2016 at 1:44 PM, pam said:

But there is no church requirement of the year in countries that mandate that a civil ceremony must take place before hand. Such as in the case that Maureen cited.  She is correct on this.

In England, you have to have a civil ceremony and then get sealed as soon as possible. For most this is the day of the wedding or a few days later at most especially as we live so close to a temple. However, our SP has said that he thinks it is very much a grey area (as what soon as possible amounts to) and for us as my parents were unsupportive about it being close to the wedding but are now supporting us now is the soonest reasonable time. The decision was ultimately based on discretion due to our difficult circumstances and reflects almost a year of discussing and seeking counsel. However, other members of stake presidency gave very different opinions with one telling us that if we chose to get sealed after the wedding date we would have to abstain from intimacy until the sealing (the idea of waiting up to a year to be intimate made DH and I giggle) so I do wonder if we had a different SP if it would be a no. 

Regarding the family situation DH and I ended up having a meeting with his parents which seems pretty productive and Im really hopeful that it will help pave way to a better relationship and we are going to visit them this weekend for dinner. We both feel like their eyes have really opened as to why we've been feeling hurt and that we can all work to make it better. BIL is a whole other story and DH is really struggling with them BIL told DH he won't see him unless DH apologises to SIL for something DH hasn't done. There is a lot of work that can be done from all side but I'm not sure everyone sees it that way.  

3 hours ago, ebie1995 said:

...However, other members of stake presidency gave very different opinions with one telling us that if we chose to get sealed after the wedding date we would have to abstain from intimacy until the sealing (the idea of waiting up to a year to be intimate made DH and I giggle) so I do wonder if we had a different SP if it would be a no....   

Wow. :) Did this SP member forget that the LDS church is pro-marriage? That physical intimacy is a given when a couple gets married.

I'm glad things are looking better with your in-laws. Good luck.

M.

Edited by Maureen

4 hours ago, ebie1995 said:

However, other members of stake presidency gave very different opinions with one telling us that if we chose to get sealed after the wedding date we would have to abstain from intimacy until the sealing

So, does he also tell members married to nonmembers that they're breaking the LoC?  What about married couples converting?  Do they have to get separate bedrooms for a year?