Evangelical with a question

1 minute ago, Tobeloved said:

the canon closed long ago, as seen by the carbon dating of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Who closed it?

'Twasn't God. He promised more scripture. The problem is that there are few people who will accept it.

Lehi

2 minutes ago, Tobeloved said:

Jesus also prophesized in the New Testament.

However, the canon closed long ago, as seen by the carbon dating of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The problem is JS wasn't in the Dead Sea Scrolls.  

No where in the Bible does it say that the cannon was closed.  And the Dead Sea Scrolls have nothing to do with any of this.

The purpose of the Bible is not for a bunch of erroneous teaching, but to equip each believer to do the things we have been called upon by Jesus Christ to do.  We are given the mind of Christ, the Word of God written on our hears and the indwelling Holy Spirit.  This also includes the 66 Books of the Bible cannon.

2 Timothy 3:16–17

16 aAll Scripture is 1inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for 2training in righteousness;

17 so that athe man of God may be adequate, bequipped for every good work.

4 minutes ago, Tobeloved said:

The purpose of the Bible is not for a bunch of erroneous teaching, but to equip each believer to do the things we have been called upon by Jesus Christ to do.  We are given the mind of Christ, the Word of God written on our hears and the indwelling Holy Spirit.  This also includes the 66 Books of the Bible cannon.

16 aAll Scripture is 1inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for 2training in righteousness;

Yes, that is the purpose of scripture.  Now where in this verse does it say that there shall not be more scripture?

And if this verse does close the cannon of scripture, why do you include the ~10 books in the Bible which were likely written after it?  Such as the Gospel of John and Gospel of Matthew?

Yes, that is the purpose of scripture.  Now where in this verse does it say that there shall not be more scripture?

And if this verse does close the cannon of scripture, why do you include the ~10 books in the Bible which were likely written after it?  Such as the Gospel of John and Gospel of Matthew?

After the death of the apostles, the cannon closed.

See after this point we have been equipped to do all that our Savior and Lord Jesus Christ has called us to.  We are not left alone, orphans, no.  We have the indwelling Holy Spirit with us always (so much better than a temp thing others claim).

16 aAll Scripture is 1inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for 2training in righteousness;

The Holy Spirit also leads us in truth.  

19 minutes ago, Tobeloved said:

I have no idea what you are even trying to say.  The Bible never said that all prophecy comes from Torah.  

And I didn't, either.

You did not respond at all to the example I gave. All you did was pick a nit. And a very trivila nit, too.

Lehi

22 minutes ago, Tobeloved said:

However, the canon closed long ago, as seen by the carbon dating of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

That is non biblical...  You complain that we do not follow the bible and demand that we provide Biblical citations...  Yet you step away from the bible whenever it suits you. That makes you hypocritical

Cite your biblical source for closed canon and the biblical source for of the creeds

22 minutes ago, Tobeloved said:

That is non biblical...  You complain that we do not follow the bible and demand that we provide Biblical citations...  Yet you step away from the bible whenever it suits you. That makes you hypocritical

Cite your biblical source for closed canon and the biblical source for of the creeds

If you do not like the answer, that is up to you.  Your question has been answered.

Now, what about your Book of Abraham and that forgery from Egyptian hyroglifs?  Maybe your deflecting away from your own problem.  That's why I think you guys are jealous of our Bible.  

You're the one that is deflecting.  And Mormons are not jealous of the Bible- we have it, love it, and study it.

Now: do you have a Biblical reference for your claim that there will be no more scripture?  I already dismissed the Timothy verse.

19 minutes ago, Tobeloved said:

I have no idea what you are even trying to say.  The Bible never said that all prophecy comes from Torah.  

And I didn't, either.

You did not respond at all to the example I gave. All you did was pick a nit. And a very trivila nit, too.

Lehi

10 minutes ago, Tobeloved said:

<!-- Bible Verse. http://biblia.com/plugins/BibleVerse -->
<biblia:bibleverse theme="header" resource="esv" width="500" reference="2Ti3.16-17"><blockquote style="width:500px;">All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. &mdash; <a target="_blank" href = "https://biblia.com/bible/esv/2Ti3.16-17">2 Ti 3:16-17</a></blockquote></biblia:bibleverse>
<!-- If you’re including multiple Biblia widgets, you only need this script tag once -->
<script src="//biblia.com/api/logos.biblia.js"></script>
<script>logos.biblia.init();</script>

Your interpretation creates a logical paradox.  If Paul (I assume it was Paul writing) was saying that they already had "ALL" the scriptures, then there is no way for his Letter (2 Timony) to be considered cannon because cannon had already closed and ALL the scriptures have already been given before the letter.  Under this interpretation it can't be used as authoritative because it must exclude itself.

Were as an interpretations that don't claim it ends or closes it... Well then it simply states an obvious fact, that everything revealed by God is important.

Edited by estradling75

Just now, estradling75 said:

Your interpretation creates a logical paradox.  If Paul (I assume it was Paul writing) was saying that they already had "ALL" the scriptures, then there is no way for his Letter (2 Timony) to be considered cannon because it had already closed and ALL the scriptures have been given therefore the letter.  Under this interpretation can't be used as authoritative because it must exclude itself.

Were as an interpretations that don't claim it ends or closes it... Well then it simply states an obvious fact, that everything revealed by God is important.

You may have missed when I said after the apostles were dead.  DEATH.  In the ground, buried.  Body decaying.

3 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Your interpretation creates a logical paradox.  If Paul (I assume it was Paul writing) was saying that they already had "ALL" the scriptures, then there is no way for his Letter (2 Timony) to be considered cannon because it had already closed and ALL the scriptures have been given therefore the letter.  Under this interpretation can't be used as authoritative because it must exclude itself.

You may have missed when I said after the apostles were dead.   If you would look at the dates of each book, you may understand instead of guessing.

Just now, Tobeloved said:

I don't care what you do.  Your opinion after your lies, means ZERO.  

It's still Timothy.

If the verse in Timothy declared the canon to be closed (which it doesn't even mention), how can you hold to the Gospel of John and Gospel of Matthew being part of the Bible, since they were written after the book of Timothy?   Your position appears to be very self-contradictory.

1 minute ago, Tobeloved said:

You may have missed when I said after the apostles were dead.   If you would look at the dates of each book, you may understand instead of guessing.

The verses in Timothy don't say anything about after the apostles being dead.  Do you have verse which say this?

6 minutes ago, Tobeloved said:

Put it this way.  Until anyone can tell me how they can believe a prophet who plagerized Egyptian hyroglifs text and photos to create a false book that you all believe in, the BIble is closed.

But the Bible doesn't say the Bible is closed....  

Why do you attack us for not saying that the Bible is closed when that position is un-Biblicial?  

Edited by Jane_Doe