Christ in our midst now

Edspringer

I was pondering the teachings in Doctrine and Covenants and a certain verse on the 38th section just caught my attention:

"But behold, verily, verily, I say unto you that mine eyes are upon you. I am in your midst and ye cannot see me" (verse 7).

It has been on my mind since the day I noticed it (which was a couple of days ago).

What do you think of the meaning of this scripture? Should we take this verse literaly and assume our Savior is somehow physicaly among us or only spiritualy? If He is physicaly among us, what sources can confirm this and the type of work He could be doing here, since we have been given enough sources indicating His spiritual influence on us through the Holy Ghost. 

All I know, by now (or at least that I can recall) is this reference from the D&C Institue student's manual:

President Harold B. Lee said: “I have a session with the missionary groups as they go out, in the temple, where they are permitted to ask intimate questions that wouldn’t be proper to be discussed elsewhere. They sometimes ask, Could you tell us a certain place in the temple where the Savior has been seen? My answer is, ‘Keep in mind that this is the house of the Lord; this is the place that we try to keep as pure and holy and sacred as any building we have. This is the most likely place he would come when he comes on earth. Don’t ask for a certain place because he has walked these halls. How do you know but what he is here in your midst?” (In Conference Report, British Area Conference 1971, pp. 135–36; or Ensign, Nov. 1971, pp. 12–13.) .

Any thoughts to add?

Thanx to all

I just noticed the following quote this morning, as I listened to Elder Eyring's recent conference talk:

The Lord promised that even with the great number of His disciples on the earth today, He would be close to each of us. He said to His little band of disciples in 1829, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, … where two or three are gathered together in my name, … behold, there will I be in the midst of them—even so am I in the midst of you” (D&C 6:32).

Now numbering more than one or two, a multitude of His disciples are gathered in this conference, and as promised, the Lord is in our midst.

Because He is a resurrected and glorified being, He is not physically everyplace where Saints gather. But, by the power of the Spirit, we can feel that He is here with us today.

Where and when we feel the closeness of the Savior depend on each of us. He gave this instruction:

“And again, verily I say unto you, my friends, I leave these sayings with you to ponder in your hearts, with this commandment which I give unto you, that ye shall call upon me while I am near—

“Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you” (D&C 88:62–63).

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04/where-two-or-three-are-gathered?lang=eng

Edited by tesuji

On January 21, 1836,Joseph Smith saw a vision in the Kirtland Temple.

“I saw the Twelve Apostles of the Lamb, who are now upon the earth, who hold the keys of this last ministry, in foreign lands, standing together in a circle, much fatigued, with their clothes tattered and feet swollen, with their eyes cast downward, and Jesus standing in their midst, and they did not behold Him. The Savior looked upon them and wept” (History of the Church, 2:381).

2 hours ago, Edspringer said:

I was pondering the teachings in Doctrine and Covenants and a certain verse on the 38th section just caught my attention:

"But behold, verily, verily, I say unto you that mine eyes are upon you. I am in your midst and ye cannot see me" (verse 7).

It has been on my mind since the day I noticed it (which was a couple of days ago).

What do you think of the meaning of this scripture? Should we take this verse literaly and assume our Savior is somehow physicaly among us or only spiritualy? If He is physicaly among us, what sources can confirm this and the type of work He could be doing here, since we have been given enough sources indicating His spiritual influence on us through the Holy Ghost. 

All I know, by now (or at least that I can recall) is this reference from the D&C Institue student's manual:

President Harold B. Lee said: “I have a session with the missionary groups as they go out, in the temple, where they are permitted to ask intimate questions that wouldn’t be proper to be discussed elsewhere. They sometimes ask, Could you tell us a certain place in the temple where the Savior has been seen? My answer is, ‘Keep in mind that this is the house of the Lord; this is the place that we try to keep as pure and holy and sacred as any building we have. This is the most likely place he would come when he comes on earth. Don’t ask for a certain place because he has walked these halls. How do you know but what he is here in your midst?” (In Conference Report, British Area Conference 1971, pp. 135–36; or Ensign, Nov. 1971, pp. 12–13.) .

Any thoughts to add?

Thanx to all

I think everyone might get something different out of it according to their need, but I take the particular verse as a general message of comfort and good cheer—that even though we may not see Him, He sees and watches over us and that by being in our midst, He understands the particulars and immediacy of our lives and is readily available to help. He tells us this so we can prepare ourselves to see Him and receive what He has to offer and His instructions on what to do.