Going Back To Church

jarodb

My name is Jarod and I am 28 yrs. old. My parents started going to church when I was about 6 and I was baptized at 8. I began rebelling at around 13 or 14. I wont go into specifics but lets just say I did some very immoral and illegal stuff. I was in and out of jail until I was 21 when my son was born. Since then my wife and I have had a daughter and I have gotten my life together. We decided that we need to take our children to church. I have been trying to figure out where to go since I am not sure if can still be considered Mormon. I dont know if some of the things Ive done would keep me from being a "total" Mrmon again. Please help

I don't think that there is any church that would not accept you, including the LDS. Because repentance you can be forgiven. I would take the opportunity to talk with the bishop in the ward you are currently living in and see what he has to say. I have a brother that did time for sexual offences and he now has a temple recommend and has been sealed. Only you can keep yourself away, the church will welcome you back no matter what your circumstances.

checkerboy is absolutely right, Jarod. There is no church that would not want you there. I think I read on one of the boards here that a GA said that he loved the smell of cigarette smoke in sacrament meeting because that meant there was someone at church that really needed and wanted to be there. And raising your kids in the gospel is such a wonderful goal! I teach the 9 year olds in primary and can I just tell you that nothing makes me happier than knowing that their parents have taken the time to bring them to church?! Go ahead and take your family to the ward you're living in and when you're comfortable talk to your bishop. That is what he's there for and even though he doesn't know you yet you know that he already loves you and will help counsel you through it all! Good luck, brother!

Jarodb,

You will be welcome in any LDS Church you walk into. Go to the one closest too you. Take your children and wife and return to Church. If you like, go to lds.org and there will be a place you can put in your address and it will tell you where you are suppose to go to church and who your Bishop is. It will atleast give you the address and phone number for the Church. Call the number on Sunday morning or some other time you think the Bishop might be there, ask for the Bishop and tell him you want to bring your family back to church. He will take care of the rest and walk you back with love and understanding.

The Church is a church of love and faith. There is a place for all and remember, the Lord gave us repentance and His Atonement. There is always a way back to the Lord. The Lord will be so pleased.

Go to church Sunday morning and go in peace. The times for your meetings will also be posted on that site.

Josie

My name is Jarod and I am 28 yrs. old. My parents started going to church when I was about 6 and I was baptized at 8. I began rebelling at around 13 or 14. I wont go into specifics but lets just say I did some very immoral and illegal stuff. I was in and out of jail until I was 21 when my son was born. Since then my wife and I have had a daughter and I have gotten my life together. We decided that we need to take our children to church. I have been trying to figure out where to go since I am not sure if can still be considered Mormon. I dont know if some of the things Ive done would keep me from being a "total" Mrmon again. Please help

What a wonderful story you tell Jarod. It sounds like your precious babies played a big part in your deciding to do the work necessary to leave your old life behind you and search out what is best for you, your wife and your children. I think you are an incredible person, because so many people don't come back from where you were.

I am no longer Mormon, but I was for a very long time, and I see no reason you couldn't become active again, enjoy all the activities as a family, grow spiritually as a family and thrive in it with no repercussions. You would have to meet with your bishop who would develop a repentance process with you, but from the way you talk, I think that would be healing for you. Your bishop could also help you with advice on how to make your family even more solid than it is today. I think, if you decide on Mormonism, that it could make you very, very happy.

Whatever you decide, please don't dwell on your past or feel guilty about it. You need to focus on your future, which can be very bright indeed as long as your past isn't weighing you down. If you choose Mormonism, your bishop will help lighten that load. Doing that would not only help you, but also your wife, and especially your children. It's a horrible thing to grow up with a parent who is unhappy an depressed. So, if you're able, perhaps a time of repentance, and then a letting go, is just what you need.

Best of luck for the future, whatever you choose. If Mormonism is what you choose, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you will be welcomed with open arms, and will thrive in it.

Elphaba

Hi. Jarod. My Dear bother I'm like you right now. I have intellectual disability and my x wife use that to get what she wonted and got in to touble with law now I'm doing weekend detention which means i get loucked up from Firday night to Sunday afternoon.

I lost blessing and they will be restoed to me soon after in about 8 weeks time.

Take care to your Bishop tell him everything and before you know it you and your wife can be sealed in the Temple and to your children.

PM me anytime if you would like to talk your friend Steve. :)

I was once in a similar position about 4 years ago. I had been inactive for the previous 12 years. When my ex-wife left me for another woman, my business failed and I couldn't see my son everyday, I was at an all time low. I started to attend church again. First just sacrament meeting every other week. Then I started to go every week. Slowly I worked my way back into full activity. Within the past 2 years I've gone through the Temple to receive my endowments and this past July I was sealed to a wonderful woman :wub: for time and all eternity. I was apprehensive to go back after so many years, but the ward I attended was one of the most friendly wards I've ever seen. They didn't judge me, and didn't ask about my past. I brought that up when I felt comfortable to. That's my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck and I wish you the best. :sparklygrin:

If you were baptized into the LDS religion; you are still a member even if you are inactive. The only way you can not be a member of the LDS church is to call your local bishop's office and ask to be removed from the inactive list and tell him that you no longer want to be a member of the church.

My best of luck to you Jarod. Everyone is right when they tell you that any church you join is going to welcome you into the fold and show you love. The Lord loves you and your family and He wants to see you come back. That is why we have the Attonement and Repentence.

Good luck!

Kortney

Hey Jarod,

It was nice to read your letter and to see all the responses you've gotten.

A lot has been said, but one thing I would say is to draw close to the Spirit, if you can, through scripture study and prayer. The Spirit is my closest Friend and comforts me a lot when I struggle with things. I relate to your story. I've had a lot of repentance to do. It is so sweet to feel God's love and guidance as I try to come back. I go to church because that's where I feel the Spirit tells me to be, and He gives me a lot of strength to follow through with that.

Best of luck in what you're trying to do.

~Dove

You did not mention your wife's religious preferences. I would discuss these things with her. If she has never belonged to a religion or has not attended church since a little girl, you probably should have the missionaries visit you before attending church. They can help you answer a lot of these questions and if you decide to attend church, they will open the door for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jarod!

All I can say is awesome! I was married in the Temple and have been a member of the church most of my life...I returned to church in April after a 3 year absence...3 years ago, I got divorced and as a result of the pain and anguish I felt, I totally rebelled against God and really, I mean REALLY went off the deep end...Had you asked me three years ago if I believed in God, I would have said "Yes, but he does not deserve my devotion..." That's how angry I was...fortunately after a hard road, I reconciled myself to God and realized that God was not to blame...I returned to church in April...since then, I have experienced a tremendous ammount of joy as I have engaged in the repentance process with the help of some wonderful Priesthood leaders...As if this were not enough, my x-wife and I have reconciled and our family will be reunited officially on the first weekend of October...:) ...attending church with them has been a joy as well...I marvel at how merciful our God is, and that he would allow me this opportunity to get my life back and join my family together again...

I would like to echo much of what has been said here...You have received excellent advice from these postings...The church will welcome you back with open arms and help you in your repentence...your already doing that...you recognized the wrongs you have commited and you have forsaken them and are feeling that desire to establish a relationship with God for you and your family...Bishops are amazing...your bishop will love you regardless of what you have done, and I guarentee you that it is really hard to shock them...:) Trust me, I know! That's not to say it will be easy...It is hard to talk to someone about our darkest sins, but it really helps, and you will feel physically and spiritually lighter after you do...

Read Luke Chapter 15 if you want an idea of how forgiving God is to the soul that repents...

Here's a link to it: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/luke/15

And if I may offer my own humble annalogy: If someone says to you (or if you are saying to yourself) that your a sinner and you can't come to church, or that you have to repent before you can show up, or that your sins are just too bad, this would be like someone showing up at the local emergency room with a broken leg...The Doctor stops them at the door and says:" I'm sorry sir you can't come in, you have a broken leg and you will need to fix it before we can treat you." Seems kinda silly right? Church is like a hospital for sinners...

Remember that the Angel's of God rejoice over one sinner that repents!

God bless you and your family in your quest! PM me if you need support or if you ever have a question...would be happy to chat!

• 2 years later...