Advise on teaching missionary lessons

I am informally teaching the missionary discussion to my friend.  She loves "Mormon stuff" and over the years has attended about every type of LDS event with me, including 2 temple open houses (one we drove 8 hours each way for), and touring Temple Square (another 8 hour drive both ways).  She's has her own quad, though she hasn't read it (she doesn't really read anything).  Through our many conversations she knows a ton about the Church, and is extremely open minded about getting her facts straight.  She's met several pairs of missionaries, but formally taken lessons.  She's a member of a Protestant church, where she teaches Sunday School every week and has attended with her parents for 30 years.  She's very socially connected to that church, and loves serving people.  Her church...I give them 6/5 stars for their fantastic humanitarian service but doctrinally they are uber-uber-uber-watered down (which she is 100% ok with).  She's not one really to take a hard stand on things.

Anyway- I am now informally teaching her the missionary lessons.  Any advice from RM's here?

Edited by Jane_Doe

I have some advice: keep up the good work!  Keep on talking about the Church, bringing it up, and having her feel the Spirit.  See where it leads!

As far as whether to be bold and encourage her to take the missionary discussions or not, you may have to make a judgment call here at some point as to when and how to encourage that - it is different for everyone, and you are closest to this person.  Use the Spirit, pray, and do not be afraid to be bold and to make a push if you feel prompted to do so.  In the words of Star Wars, "Trust your feelings [and the Spirit]!"  You may find that the person is ready and should receive a more bold approach, even though she is a member of a Protestant church and is attending regularly.  On the other hand, the Spirit may direct you to take things a little more slowly, and that is OK too.  The Spirit knows what is in the heart and mind of this person, and can help you know what to say and what to do.

Good luck!

Edited by DoctorLemon

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

She's met several pairs of missionaries, but formally taken lessons.

I'm assuming this is a typo and you mean to say she is NOT formally taken lessons.

Her church...I give them 6/5 stars for their fantastic humanitarian service but doctrinally they are uber-uber-uber-watered down (which she is 100% ok with).

What do you mean by the bolded words?

I of course am not an RM but as a person who took the discussions as a teenager I would advise you to be very honest with your friend about your intentions. If you are giving her the discussions with the hopeful intention for her to join your church, let her know that.

When I met my LDS friend (we were both teenagers) I was curious about the Mormon religion and she told me that the missionaries could teach me about the religion. I did not understand at the time that these "discussions" were meant to convert me. It was only after members of my friend's ward started asking me when I was going to be baptized that I understood my friend's and the missionaries' intentions. Be honest with your friend and she can let you know if she's still interested in taking the discussions.

M.

Edited by Maureen

I do not think you need to give the discussions solely with the intent to convert. I think having Jane give the discussions is an advantage for this reason. I took the discussions as a teenager just out of general interest but the spirit spoke to me during the discussions. Go Jane! 

Edited by Sunday21