Some of My Thoughts about Christmas

Traveler

16 hours ago, Vort said:

As far as I know, we do not reject the idea that Jesus might have been married, or that his spouse might have been Mary Magdalene.

I read this on... I think it was New Era or Liahona or maybe just in LDS.org ... it was a Q&A answer sometime around when DaVinci Code controversy came up... The question of Jesus' marriage came up and the answer was that it is possible that Jesus is married but the Apostles stated he wasn't married to nor had children with Mary Magdalene.  I searched for it on lds.org but I can't find it.  It would be around 10 years ago or so and my memory is not great so now I'm questioning what I read... waaaaa!

Ok, I've been thinking about the pigeon thing and poverty, etc.

While it is true that being a carpenter meant that he had a bit more means than the common people, he was by no means rich either.  We also need to remember that "poor" is a relative term.  The common person may have only made about $500/year (by today's numbers).  So, to be somewhat higher than plebes could simple mean he made $2000/yr by today's standards.  That still sounds pretty poor to me.

Not only that, but even if he had some more means than that, beginning with his public ministry, there is no mention that he continued his carpentry.  He was an itinerant rabbi.  As such, he was simply given donations for his means.  And that usually wasn't much since most of the people he taught were so poor, they barely had enough for themselves.  It was probably just room and board for a time.

Now, I'm not sure why this is such an issue that it merited an entire thread.  But if we're going to delve into the "facts", let's remember just how little we actually "know" about such details.