If you think bluegrass in inherently happy, listen to this.

Vort

I remember Steve Martin, back when he was a standup comedian and not a movie actor, saying how any song with a banjo was always happy. The banjo was a happy instrument. You just couldn't sing a sad song with a banjo. Well, this song actually made me shed tears (which, yes, probably says more about my own patheticness than about the song). But it's beautiful bluegrass with a prominent banjo and a great fiddle, and it's very sad. Ignore the silly video and just listen to the song.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Ignore the silly video and just listen to the song.

My willingness to torture myself lasted until...1:39 and not any longer<_<

41 minutes ago, zil said:

As long as we're being unhappy hillbillies...

Even less...1:01. The guy sitting with his mullet and Dolly Parton voice over creeped my kid out AND he has mullet himself!

download.jpg

Meanwhile, my neighbors now hate me.  I finally moved the Klipsch 5.1 speakers into this room where my laptop is, and hooked them up (with an adapter that takes their poor 2-speaker output and pumps it through the Klipsch speakers), and holy cow, Batman, the walls are vibrating. :lol::D:crackup::fullband::bandrock:

Edited by zil

Sleep On is a favorite, @zil Just beautiful. I love Alison and Union Station. I appreciate Appalachian music for the wonder that it is: incredibly skilled instrumentalists who were likely taught by a relative or neighbor from the time they were small. But in honesty, most of it I can only taken in small doses. However, Alison I can listen to for hours.

Just now, Eowyn said:

Sleep On is a favorite, @zil Just beautiful. I love Alison and Union Station. I appreciate Appalachian music for the wonder that it is: incredibly skilled instrumentalists who were likely taught by a relative or neighbor from the time they were small. But in honesty, most of it I can only taken in small doses. However, Alison I can listen to for hours.

I'm genetically predisposed to like it - before Mom's family were from Texas, they were from Tennessee. :)  (Bluegrass and Stevie Ray Vaughn and bagpipes - they were from Scotland before they were from Tennessee...)

Meanwhile, I can't stop laughing.  The floor is vibrating.  I can sing at the top of my lungs without having to hear it (previously, I could only do that in the car). :lol:  Soon, I'll have to get over it or the neighbors really will complain.  No idea why this makes me so happy, but it does.  I wonder if they'd complain if I blared MoTab this loud tomorrow.... :D

I'll check out Nickel Creek (never heard of them).

6 minutes ago, zil said:

Would it make you feel any better to know that it's now Beethoven's 7th Symphony vibrating my house?

It just feels too "smart/brainy" for a Saturday night!
Try vibrating the house to this instead. I made it part way through "both" your videos... you can make it through this:D

Edited by NeedleinA

1 minute ago, NeedleinA said:

It just feels too "smart/brainy" for a Saturday night!
Try vibrating the house to this instead. I made it part way through "both" your videos... you can make it through this:D

Um, there's no sound.  My neighbors thank you.  Ah, OK, fixed the sound.  Meh.  When I decide to start dealing meth out the back door, I'll be sure to play this stuff, and get some dance club lights...  It does have some serious bass...

Meanwhile, toward the end of the bacchanale in Saint-Saens' Samson and Delilah, they start banging on kettle drums...:wub:  (That's not the greatest rendition, but it'll have to do.)

Sorry, @Vort, we've totally ruined your bluegrass thread.  I blame @NeedleinA :crackup:

13 minutes ago, zil said:

Notice that I am replying over 2:39 later. I respectfully listened to the whole thing. If there were such things as "ear balls" I would have scratched them out already! :P
Okay for the purpose of testing the structural integrity of your walls, you can make it at least until 1:30, that will more than suffice. Just pretend you are camping in Jamaica:) 

Edited by NeedleinA

3 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Notice that I am replying over 2:39 later. I respectfully listened to the whole thing. If there were such things as "ear balls" I would have scratched them out already!

My intent was accomplished in the first line: "It takes all kinds to make a world."  (In other words, I'm OK if you like that song and it means nothing that I don't.)

4 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Okay for the purpose of testing the structural integrity of your walls, you can make it at least until 1:30, that will more than suffice. Just pretend you are camping in Jamaica:) 

This one was a little better than the first.  I think part of the vibration might have been Beethoven rolling over in his grave, though. :P

3 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

My willingness to torture myself lasted until...1:39 and not any longer<_<

You don't like bluegrass? Or the song was too sad (or sappy, or otherwise distasteful)? The tearjerking part comes after you stopped listening.

5 hours ago, Vort said:

I remember Steve Martin, back when he was a standup comedian and not a movie actor, saying how any song with a banjo was always happy. The banjo was a happy instrument. You just couldn't sing a sad song with a banjo. Well, this song actually made me shed tears (which, yes, probably says more about my own patheticness than about the song). But it's beautiful bluegrass with a prominent banjo and a great fiddle, and it's very sad. Ignore the silly video and just listen to the song.

I thought the music still sounded happy

I would have thought the music you were listening to earlier, particularly the Allegretto  sounded more Vortesque than the  the Hillbilly Little Joe.

Or maybe this. I'm pretty confident that this is what a veritable vortex of vortical vortices  sounds like