Church-hunting? So are they!

Vort

Hahaha! :lol:  I once asked an uncle who is not a member of the Church if he paid tithing.  He said, 'I would, but right now I haven't found a church in my area that I like'.  I am so grateful I never have to search for a church, and pray for those who are searching for the truth sincerely.

Edited by person0

So wait - this is like parody, on a standup comedian's YouTube channel, for a Christian audience who seeks a little light-heartedness.  Sort of like BYU's Studio C.

Once I understood that, I dig it.  Funny stuff - people taking light-hearted jabs at themselves.  I'm just outside looking in here.

My ward and my family have had various good dealings with the community church across the street for a long time.  It was fascinating to watch things when they had to get a new head pastor.  Such an involved process!  There were informative posters for how a congregation finds a new pastor, hung up in the church, so the congregation could read it and know where they were in the process.  I found myself rooting for them, as there were so many stories from people who had ended up with a 'bad pastor'.  

HAH!  This one was filmed in the parking lot of the New Life Church in North Colorado Springs!  (I had to watch it slo-mo in high definition for a while until I got proof - that weird shaped building at :50 they call "the Onion".)  

My wife and kids did homeschooling in that building for like seven years!  When my wife was sick, I'd take the kids, and it was like a hundred mommies and me.  Overwhelmingly good people.  They love-bombed the crap out of us Mormons in ways that would make a ward's Compassionate Service Leader envious.

The words are a bit foreign to us LDS, but this one absolutely applies to any disciple of Christ, Mormons included.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVX-aQDPH8

Edited by NeuroTypical

27 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

So wait - this is like parody, on a standup comedian's YouTube channel, for a Christian audience who seeks a little light-heartedness.  Sort of like BYU's Studio C.

Once I understood that, I dig it.  Funny stuff - people taking light-hearted jabs at themselves.  I'm just outside looking in here.

My ward and my family have had various good dealings with the community church across the street for a long time.  It was fascinating to watch things when they had to get a new head pastor.  Such an involved process!  There were informative posters for how a congregation finds a new pastor, hung up in the church, so the congregation could read it and know where they were in the process.  I found myself rooting for them, as there were so many stories from people who had ended up with a 'bad pastor'.  

Church shopping is not unheard of for Mormons. I have a family member who moved, specifically and only, to get out of the ward they were in. Their pastor (the Bishop) and the congregation were rather toxic towards their family.

Church shopping happens among Catholics as well, in the form of parish hunting. 

Non-denominational folks stay within their church (church, as in religion), but will go church hunting, for a congregation and/or pastor that they approve of, or fit in with. 

15 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

Church shopping is not unheard of for Mormons. I have a family member who moved, specifically and only, to get out of the ward they were in. Their pastor (the Bishop) and the congregation were rather toxic towards their family.

Church shopping happens among Catholics as well, in the form of parish hunting. 

Non-denominational folks stay within their church (church, as in religion), but will go church hunting, for a congregation and/or pastor that they approve of, or fit in with. 

I sometimes wish I could move just so I don't have to have a leadership calling anymore, but then the Lord will probably just call me to it again somewhere else so I just try and put it in his hands and deal with it.  For me, not doing the calling, saying no, and 'resigning' are not choices I'm personally willing to make (without a really good reason).

2 minutes ago, person0 said:

I sometimes wish I could move just so I don't have to have a leadership calling anymore, but then the Lord will probably just call me to it again somewhere else so I just try and put it in his hands and deal with it.  For me, not doing the calling, saying no, and 'resigning' are not choices I'm personally willing to make (without a really good reason).

Oh I hear ya, sometimes I feel like parish shopping because the ministry I'm most involved in can get really frustrating at times. Other times it is rewarding, to witness God working in people's lives. But when I take it to God, I can only discern that I need to stay.