Come To The Temple

a-train

'I wish to say to everyone here, come to the temple. Live worthy to come to the temple. Live the commandments of God so that you may come to the temple. Do those things which will make you eligible to serve in the house of the Lord. It has been built for you, my brothers and sisters, that you might have the opportunity of coming here and receiving the wonderful blessings that can be had nowhere else in all the world, except in other temples, where you may be sealed together as husband and wife, where your children may be sealed to you, where you may work in behalf of your forebears, who have gone beyond. That great and marvelous and wonderfully unselfish work occurs in the house of the Lord. Come to the temple.' (Gordon B. Hinckley, meeting, Aba, Nigeria, Aug. 6, 2005; quoted from lds.org)

I was recently asked: 'Why isn't everyone allowed in the LDS temples?'

My answer: 'Everyone is! The work of the Church is to get everyone we can to go! The trouble isn't one of exclusivity, it is one of persuasion. It is the LORD's will that ALL would enter the temple.'

If there is anyone out there who would like to go and has not yet had the opportunity, call your local LDS missionaries or bishop and they can get you rolling!

-a-train

I'm guessing that those missionaries or bishops aren't offering guided tours to interested gentiles. :-)

Oh but they ARE! Especially at those open houses. I hope we as LDS's never see ourselves as the righteous elite by virtue of our possession of a temple recommend. The call from the LORD to enter the waters of baptism and continue on through the ordinances of salvation through the temple is not to us only. 'What I say unto one I say unto all..' (D&C 93:49)

For we say: 'Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths:' (Isaiah 2:3) For it has 'come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD’s house [has been] established in the top of the mountains, and [is] exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.' (Isaiah 2:2)

-a-train

I was being a bit facetious. The rituals of the Temple are conducted by believers, as laid out in your holy writings. The sacred is secret to those not called to do the work, but so it is in every endeavor.

When I offer holy communion in chapel, it is an "open communion." We welcome all who call themselves Christians and believe He has forgiven their sins. Yet, we urge those who have come to visit, to see, to investigate, etc., to hold back and observe--since the table is reserved for those who believe. Warnings are even issued to those who would partake in an unworthy manner.

The ritual is not secret, as anyone can observe it. However, participation is reserved.

Temple rituals have a greater veil of protection surrounding them, and I have no desire to intrude into a spiritual arena that I have not been invited to.

As for the open house--should the opportunity arise, I believe I shall make the visit.

Indeed, the LORD's supper is available at the hand of LDS ministers weekly to all who desire. But there is a great difference with much of the temple experience. You see, the administration itself is in a presentation and not in food and therefore it requires only your witness in order for you to partake. A 'spectators only' seat is therefore impossible by virtue of the nature of the ordinances there. If one there receives the instructions by witnessing the ordinances, they receive the ordinances.

At a baptism, we can witness the ordinance without obligating ourselves in the covenant. Much of what takes place in the temple is not so, if we witness those things, we are taking upon us the obligations thereof. Do you see why the need of protection? It is not as if the unworthy are so dangerous to the temple that we must protect it from them. Rather, the unprepared and especially the unworthy are in danger of bringing upon themselves the pains of covenant breaking if they are not able to keep the covenants they have so engaged in.

As you mentioned, we are warned against partaking of the LORD's Supper when unprepared. Again, this is not because the LORD's Supper will be harmed by the wicked, but that it will bring damnation to the souls of the ostentatious.

It is the will of the LORD that ALL would come unto Him and take upon themselves the ordinances of salvation, including His Supper, Baptism and Confirmation, and the ordinances of the temple. These privileges are now more readily available to the children of men than any time since our LORD's ministry. I hope we can make it clear that we desire all to come to the temple with us and that we seek not to segregate ourselves therein.

-a-train

Let me know when they announce the open house. It would be a 4-hour drive or so, but with advanced notice, could be a worthy experience.

A-train, your explanation that observation of the rituals implies participation--tied to the same warnings given about the Lord's Supper, all rounds out my understanding quite well.

Let me know when they announce the open house. It would be a 4-hour drive or so, but with advanced notice, could be a worthy experience.

I've been to one open house, when i was a kid really cool, even tho at the time i didnt' know what i was looking at, it was the bountiful temple, one of my favorite to see from the highway

i'm not sure how long construction will take, probably about a year or so, but we'll keep you posted!

So, can I ask those of you who have been to the temple what these wonderful blessings are? I always hear people say oh you get so many blessings going to the temple. Like what? I'm curious to know what they are as Ive been to the temple and I dont see any blessings. It has caused more problems for me than I could have ever imagined by going. So, if people could tell me what blessings they feel they have receieved by going to the temple??

For me, Aphrodite, it was an increased portion of the spirit. I just understood spiritual things on a different level than before. I haven't been to the temple yet that I didn't gain some little bit of understanding that I didn't have previously. Also, the sense of peace is blessing enough for me. To be able to enter into the Lord's house and have the 'noise' in my head go away (yes, the little voices!). By that I mean, that while I could think of bad things, I had to try to do it (I did try that as an experiment, and while I could, it was all me, not anything else). When I walked back outside the walls of the temple then little thoughts would come right back. I truly believe that we need times away from Satan's minions so that we can feel peace and gain understanding without all of the background noise telling us to do wrong things...

Just my $0.02 worth...

The first and most instant blessing obtained through temple attendance is the accompaniment of the Spirit of the LORD there. This is no different from any of the other ordinances we engage. Many who sit at the LORD's Supper may have nothing but something to eat and drink. Those who come broken hearted and contrite in spirit obtain the feeling of the Holy Ghost in their penitent state. Baptism is to the end that a man will receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost, but even with the ordinance performed and the laying on of hands, one may not receive the Holy Ghost until they themselves are spiritually ready.

Notice that in all ordinances, our communion with the Spirit can neither be accelerated or blocked by outside influence or the powers of our fellow men. Only each individual in their own agency can obtain or refrain from the gifts of the Spirit.

Now, the presence of the Spirit is not just a feeling. It is always accompanied by comforting edification. You cannot receive the Holy Ghost without receiving revelation, without receiving knowledge. For the Holy Ghost is the Comforter whose work is to bring to our understanding the words of Christ.

Notice that different ordinances of salvation involve various symbolic acts that stimulate diverse senses. In baptism we feel ourselves lowered into and covered by the water. We pause our breath as we undergo the symbol of death and resurrection. In the LORD's Supper, we have texture and taste stimulated by food and drink, wherein we savor the fruits of the Atonement.

All of this casts images on the screen of the mind and affords us the stage whereon the Holy Ghost can present to us further light and truth. The ordinances of the temple are no different. There, visual and auditory presentation open great doors of understanding as we listen and follow directions. We stimulate the senses as we put on the vestments of the temple and pass through the various passageways therein. As we pass through the temple, we pass through a representation of the universe of our God, and we see the steps necessary to pass from this telestial domain through the terrestrial and on to the presence of God, where He is calling us and working from His end to bring us there. This is no different from the ancient temples.

In this regard, the blessings of the temple are essentially the same as those of the scriptures. When we prayerfully search the scriptures, we can obtain much light and truth by the Spirit of the Lord, when we attend the temple in the same manner of diligence and faith, we obtain the same. The temple offers a much more vivid learning experience however. The house of the LORD is a 'house of learning.' (D&C 109:8)

Of course, this is not all the temple has to offer, but it is one great and immediate blessing of temple attendance. The ultimate blessings of the temple are eternal and we therefore have much to look forward to.

-a-train

PC, I don't know how far a drive Rexburg, ID is for you, know you are in the Washington area, but here is the open house dates for their temple which looks beautiful.

website: http://www.lds.org/temples/main/0,11204,1912-1-588-1,00.html

Rexburg Idaho Temple

Dedication scheduled for 03 Feb 2008

Announcement 20 December 2003

Groundbreaking 30 July 2005

Open House 29 December 2007 - 26 January 2008

Dedication 03 February 2008

Just thought you might be interested.

So, can I ask those of you who have been to the temple what these wonderful blessings are? I always hear people say oh you get so many blessings going to the temple. Like what?

GAIA:

Hello Aphrodite -- It's great to meet a sister Goddess :D;)

I was taught (at BYU) that the Endowment is exactly what the term says, an "endowment" of added spiritual power and authority from God, given in the (LDS) Temple, to both men and women.

I think one of the problems that some people have with the temple is that generally, LDS worship does not have a lot of symbolism or ritual (compared with other religions, especially); and the Temple is a symbol-and-ritual RICH environment/ experience, so many are confused, bewildered, or even troubled by the experience at first. They just don't know how to "take" it.

THE GOSPEL PLAN:

Actually, the entire Gospel is a plan whereby the children of God receive -- and then extend to others (beginning with their own biological children) -- the powers, gifts, blessings, challenges, responsibilities and opportunities of *LIFE* -- in various forms and stages: first, physical life; then Spiritual Life, and finally, Eternal Life.

All along the way, there are "Parents" who help "facilitate" or administer each stage of Life -- with its attendant powers, blessings, obligations, responsibilities, etc -- to their children.

THAT, essentially, is (what i was taught as) the MEANING and Purpose of Priesthood.

We begin as Intelligence; Heavenly Mother and Father "organize" that intelligence and give it Spirit Birth, which affords new aspects and qualities of life. Then we are born into mortality by our biological Mother and Father, and through them we receive new aspects and qualities of (mortal) life. Then through the Gospel, we are "Born Again" as sons or daughters of Jesus Christ (and our MOther in Spriitual Rebirth, the Church) -- through whom we receive yet more and new qualities and aspects of Life.

When we're ready, we prepare to go to the Temple for an "ENDOWMENT" of yet more qualities, aspects, and powers of *Eternal Life* .

The Bible and modern revelation say that in the Kingdom of God, men will rule (under Christ) as "Kings and Priests" and women will rule (again, under Christ) as "Queens and Priestesses" .

A King or Queen is one who administers *temporal* blessings to others; a Priest or Priestess is one who administers *spiritual* blessings to others.

So, i would say that the Endowment is a *ritual* in which this spiritual authority and power to become a King and Priest, or Queen and Priestess, are given *conditionally* -- that is, depending upon one's continued faithfulness -- to the Gospel plan in general, and to the Endowment covenants, specifically.

RE: COVENANTS:

Remember that in the Gospel, "covenants" are contractual promises which have two sides: the side of the individual -- what s/he is responsible for, and what s/he receives as a result; and the 'side" of God: what He is responsible for, and what He is to receive, as a result.

Now about those covenants: they are generally found in the scriptures and Gospel teachings, but they are considered sacred, and you will not be told what they are *specifically*, until you are in the Temple, where they can be explained and where one is put under covenant to keep them sacred ---

RE GARMENTS:

The Temple Garments are a physical representation, symbol and reminder of those Temple covenants that are made, at the time one receives the Endowment.

The garments have special "markings" which are symbolic of the covenants, and are themselves considered sacred.

NOTE: it's NOT the garments which are sacred, rather it's the *markings* and what they SYMBOLIZE. Therefore, one should treat the garments with respect.

Interestingly, there is evidence for ancient Garments:

(Exodus 28:2-3.)

2 And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty.

3 And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

(Exodus 29:29.)

29 ¶ And the holy garments of Aaron shall be his sons' after him, to be anointed therein, and to be consecrated in them.

(Exodus 40:13.)

13 And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him; that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

When garments grow old and no longer useable, one should remove the markings (cutting them or burning them off is the usual method) and destroy them (again, burning is the usual method); and then the garments themselves revert to normal "clothing" and are no longer considered sacred.

HOWEVER --Unfortunately, since many old garments have been found at Thrift Stores, and subsequently inappropriately used by those intending to embarrass and humiliate the Church, it's probably best to be careful about disposing of the entire garment.

Some good Resources on the Temple:

- Allen H. Barber. Celestial Symbols: Symbolism in Doctrine, Religious Traditions and Temple Architecture, Bountiful: Horizon, 1990, ISBN 0-88290-344-6

- Paul Thomas Smith & Matthew B. Brown. Symbols in Stone: Symbolism on the Early Temples of the Restoration, American Fork: Covenant, 1997, ISBN 1-57734-134-1

- Todd Compton, "The Handclasp and Embrace as Tokens of Recognition," in By Study and Also by Faith: Essays in Honor of Hugh W. Nibley on the Occasion of His Eightieth Birthday, 27 March 1990, John M. Lundquist and Stephen D. Ricks, eds., 2 vols. (Salt Lake City and Provo: Deseret Book Co., Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, 1990), 1: 620 - 631.).

I HOpe that is helpful -- let me know, ok?

Blessings --

~Gaia

<div class='quotemain'>

So, can I ask those of you who have been to the temple what these wonderful blessings are? I always hear people say oh you get so many blessings going to the temple. Like what?

GAIA:

Hello Aphrodite -- It's great to meet a sister Goddess :D;)

I was taught (at BYU) that the Endowment is exactly what the term says, an "endowment" of added spiritual power and authority from God, given in the (LDS) Temple, to both men and women.

I think one of the problems that some people have with the temple is that generally, LDS worship does not have a lot of symbolism or ritual (compared with other religions, especially); and the Temple is a symbol-and-ritual RICH environment/ experience, so many are confused, bewildered, or even troubled by the experience at first. They just don't know how to "take" it.

THE GOSPEL PLAN:

Actually, the entire Gospel is a plan whereby the children of God receive -- and then extend to others (beginning with their own biological children) -- the powers, gifts, blessings, challenges, responsibilities and opportunities of *LIFE* -- in various forms and stages: first, physical life; then Spiritual Life, and finally, Eternal Life.

All along the way, there are "Parents" who help "facilitate" or administer each stage of Life -- with its attendant powers, blessings, obligations, responsibilities, etc -- to their children.

THAT, essentially, is (what i was taught as) the MEANING and Purpose of Priesthood.

We begin as Intelligence; Heavenly Mother and Father "organize" that intelligence and give it Spirit Birth, which affords new aspects and qualities of life. Then we are born into mortality by our biological Mother and Father, and through them we receive new aspects and qualities of (mortal) life. Then through the Gospel, we are "Born Again" as sons or daughters of Jesus Christ (and our MOther in Spriitual Rebirth, the Church) -- through whom we receive yet more and new qualities and aspects of Life.

When we're ready, we prepare to go to the Temple for an "ENDOWMENT" of yet more qualities, aspects, and powers of *Eternal Life* .

The Bible and modern revelation say that in the Kingdom of God, men will rule (under Christ) as "Kings and Priests" and women will rule (again, under Christ) as "Queens and Priestesses" .

A King or Queen is one who administers *temporal* blessings to others; a Priest or Priestess is one who administers *spiritual* blessings to others.

So, i would say that the Endowment is a *ritual* in which this spiritual authority and power to become a King and Priest, or Queen and Priestess, are given *conditionally* -- that is, depending upon one's continued faithfulness -- to the Gospel plan in general, and to the Endowment covenants, specifically.

RE: COVENANTS:

Remember that in the Gospel, "covenants" are contractual promises which have two sides: the side of the individual -- what s/he is responsible for, and what s/he receives as a result; and the 'side" of God: what He is responsible for, and what He is to receive, as a result.

Now about those covenants: they are generally found in the scriptures and Gospel teachings, but they are considered sacred, and you will not be told what they are *specifically*, until you are in the Temple, where they can be explained and where one is put under covenant to keep them sacred ---

RE GARMENTS:

The Temple Garments are a physical representation, symbol and reminder of those Temple covenants that are made, at the time one receives the Endowment.

The garments have special "markings" which are symbolic of the covenants, and are themselves considered sacred.

NOTE: it's NOT the garments which are sacred, rather it's the *markings* and what they SYMBOLIZE. Therefore, one should treat the garments with respect.

Interestingly, there is evidence for ancient Garments:

(Exodus 28:2-3.)

2 And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty.

3 And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

(Exodus 29:29.)

29 ¶ And the holy garments of Aaron shall be his sons' after him, to be anointed therein, and to be consecrated in them.

(Exodus 40:13.)

13 And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him; that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

When garments grow old and no longer useable, one should remove the markings (cutting them or burning them off is the usual method) and destroy them (again, burning is the usual method); and then the garments themselves revert to normal "clothing" and are no longer considered sacred.

HOWEVER --Unfortunately, since many old garments have been found at Thrift Stores, and subsequently inappropriately used by those intending to embarrass and humiliate the Church, it's probably best to be careful about disposing of the entire garment.

Some good Resources on the Temple:

- Allen H. Barber. Celestial Symbols: Symbolism in Doctrine, Religious Traditions and Temple Architecture, Bountiful: Horizon, 1990, ISBN 0-88290-344-6

- Paul Thomas Smith & Matthew B. Brown. Symbols in Stone: Symbolism on the Early Temples of the Restoration, American Fork: Covenant, 1997, ISBN 1-57734-134-1

- Todd Compton, "The Handclasp and Embrace as Tokens of Recognition," in By Study and Also by Faith: Essays in Honor of Hugh W. Nibley on the Occasion of His Eightieth Birthday, 27 March 1990, John M. Lundquist and Stephen D. Ricks, eds., 2 vols. (Salt Lake City and Provo: Deseret Book Co., Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, 1990), 1: 620 - 631.).

I HOpe that is helpful -- let me know, ok?

Blessings --

~Gaia

It is nice to meet a fellow goddess -_-

Thanks for your reply. Like sixpacktr, you say it is increased spirituality. What else? Your reply was very well worded and structered and you seem very knowledgable. Im going to PM you as I dont trust my comments on here with certain people reading them. As christians you'd think people will help. Most do but theres the odd few that get in there and start being all high and mighty and self righteous(qualitues I loathe and Im sure the Lod does aswell) so I wont post on here. Aph xxx

It is nice to meet a fellow goddess -_-

Thanks for your reply. Like sixpacktr, you say it is increased spirituality. What else? Your reply was very well worded and structered and you seem very knowledgable. Im going to PM you as I dont trust my comments on here with certain people reading them. As christians you'd think people will help. Most do but theres the odd few that get in there and start being all high and mighty and self righteous(qualitues I loathe and Im sure the Lod does aswell) so I wont post on here. Aph xxx

GAIA:

I understand; posting so publically can be a bit intimidating :wacko: ---

So please feel free to email or pm me, any time.

I would like to clarify one thing, for you and anyone else who might be reading/ interested, as well --

A lot of people make (what i think is) a small but very important mistake about the Temple: It isn't just about "added spirituality"; if that were all it was, i don't think LDS would have much to offer beyond that which other religions do, to be honest.

Instead, it's about spiritual POWER and AUTHORITY. Those are two different but related things. Let me see if i can explain: If a person says a prayer, the Lord answers it based upon the circumstances, what's best in the long run for that person, and their faith, right? But if that person has added spiritual POWER and AUTHORITY, they are no longer just supplicants requesting a "favor" anymore, they become in a sense, part of what ANSWERS that prayer.

One with true spiritual power and authority -- not just hoping or assuming s/he has it, but who KNOWS s/he has it and who uses it honorably, responsibly, and by the inspiration of the HOly Spirit -- is no longer just a supplicant, s/he can call down the powers of heaven with the knowledge that those powers / blessings are (to some degree) REQUIRED to respond to that call.

That is a very different position to be in. Very few ever attain it, but the Gospel is designed to help those who can and wish, to do so. THAT in fact, is (again, imo) part of the ultimate design of the Gospel -- to make you no longer a beggar, no longer a supplicant, but rather, an "HEIR of God and joint-Heir with Christ", of "ALL that the FAther has". Now consider the position of an heir, relative to a servant -- even a trusted and beloved servant. VERY different, huh. We quote that all the time in Church, but think a bit on what it really means, what it implies, to be "Heir of all the Father has" (Romans 8:17, Hebrews 6:17, James 2:5) ---

THAT is what the Temple rituals are designed to do -- to start you on the road to becoming no longer a beggar, no longer a supplicant before God, but a JOINT HEIR with Christ, with spiritual power and authority, to extend the blessings that are given to you, to others - starting with your biological children, and then moving out into the community/ world, as a Queen (one who disseminates temporal blessings to others) and a Priestess (one who disseminates spiritual blessings) --

(Doctrine and Covenants 76:50-70.)

And again we bear record—for we saw and heard, and this is the testimony of the gospel of Christ concerning them who shall come forth in the resurrection of the just—

51 They are they who received the testimony of Jesus, and believed on his name and were baptized after the manner of his burial, being buried in the water in his name, and this according to the commandment which he has given—

52 That by keeping the commandments they might be washed and cleansed from all their sins, and receive the Holy Spirit by the laying on of the hands of him who is ordained and sealed unto this power;

53 And who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.

54 They are they who are the church of the Firstborn.

55 They are they into whose hands the Father has given all things—

56 They are they who are priests and kings, who have received of his fulness, and of his glory;

57 And are priests of the Most High, after the order of Melchizedek, which was after the order of Enoch, which was after the order of the Only Begotten Son....

58 Wherefore, as it is written, they are gods, even the sons of God—

59 Wherefore, all things are theirs, whether life or death, or things present, or things to come, all are theirs and they are Christ's, and Christ is God's..

"Becoming bone of bone and flesh of flesh, together, does not mean that I am trying to be more "womanly" and Charlotte more "manly"—nor that I am neglecting my own gifts and responsibilities, some of which are given, though only temporarily I think, because I am a man. I believe that the Melchizedek Priesthood and bearing the bodies of mortal children are simply assignments made for mortality. This does not mean the two are equivalent: certainly priesthood should not replace the nurturing duties of fatherhood nor does bearing children replace the spiritual gifts, including healing, nor the administrative gifts and duties given to women. But I believe priesthood and child-bearing are alike in providing, if we let them, similar opportunities to learn charity, to love and serve unconditionally. If we learn those lessons, we will pass beyond Melchizedek Priesthood and physical motherhood to a higher state of more perfect equality. That higher state, promised in the eternal marriage covenant, is called becoming kings and queens, priests and priestesses unto the most high God. Fatherhood and motherhood are equivalent right now in their intrinsic responsibilities. (President Lee said to both men and women that the most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own home—and President McKay said to us both that no success could compensate for failure there.) The roles of man and woman are absolutely equivalent in their intrinsic joys and opportunities to learn the greatest joy—and the ground of our salvation—which is that pure love of Christ."

(As Women of Faith: Talks Selected from the BYU Women's Conferences [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1989], 117.)

Monte S. Nyman and Charles D. Tate, Jr.:

"Alma explained that "this high priesthood [was] after the order of [God's] Son, which order was from the foundation of the world; or in other words, being without beginning of days or end of years, being prepared from eternity to all eternity, according to his foreknowledge of all things" (Alma 13:7). Joseph Smith declared: "The Priesthood is an everlasting principle, and existed with God from eternity, and will to eternity, without beginning of days or end of years" (TPJS 157). In the words of President George Q. Cannon, the priesthood "had no beginning; [it will have] no end. It is [as] eternal as our Father and God, and it extends into the eternities to come, and it is as endless as eternity is endless, and as our God is endless: for it is the power and authority by which our Father and God sits upon His throne and wields the power He does throughout the innumerable worlds over which He exercises dominion" (JD 26:245). The Holy Priesthood after the order of the Son of God is from eternity to eternity, from everlasting to everlasting, meaning from one existence to the next. It was in operation in the first estate, it blesses lives and seals souls to eternal life in mortality, and it will continue into the world of spirits and beyond, on into the kingdoms of glory wherein dwell kings and queens, priests and priestesses."

(Monte S. Nyman and Charles D. Tate, Jr., eds., Alma, the Testimony of the Word [Provo: BYU Religious Studies Center, 1992], 70.)

Sister Chieko N. Okazaki, Counselor in the Relief Society Presidency:

"Let us build upon our own faith and our own service. We can understand the mystery of Christian love that shines into the darkness around us and into the darkness of hearts and unites us with others. We can feel the steadfast and joyful love of the Savior in our hearts. Like Esther, we can respond with faith to the challenges we face, even if they seem too large and too complicated for us. We can find courage, even when trials beset us and our world seems dark. We can reach outside our small circles and take the risk of serving others. Like Mother Teresa, we can see the needs not only for food and shelter but for human kindness and divine love.

Esther was a queen, but all of us have the potential of being kings and queens, priests and priestesses, gods and goddesses. Like Esther we are called to live with faith and with service. We, too, whatever our circumstances, must meet those circumstances as queens and kings who are called and challenged to be here in this hour."

(Chieko N. Okazaki, Aloha! [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1995], 126.)

Then-Apostle Spencer W Kimball:

"They who dwell in his presence are the church of the Firstborn; and they see as they are seen, and know as they are known, having received of his fulness and of his grace;And he makes them equal in power, and in might, and in dominion. (D&C 76:94-95.)" ....

...The Psalmist had sung:

I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. (Ps. 82:6.)

And Peter was well on his way toward this glorious goal to become one of those who inherits positions, titles, powers beyond human understanding. The latter-day Prophet Joseph Smith spoke of men like Peter: They are they who are priests and kings, who have received of his fulness, and of his glory;Wherefore, as it is written, they are gods, even the sons of God--These shall dwell in the presence of God and his Christ forever and ever. (D&C 76:56, 58, 62.)"

(Elder Spencer W. Kimball, February 15, 1966, BYU Speeches of the Year, 1966 7.)

I hope that helps --

Blessings --

~Gaia

I must confess that I get a little leery with the constant references to being a priestess and queen and Heavenly Mother.

I believe that there is a Heavenly Mother, but I don't make that a 'part' of me. I feel that it is too sacred of a subject to constantly put out in front of people as fact. Our HF felt so strongly about this that he never let us know this, knowing that his name would be taken in vain, and to protect her he didn't let others know. I believe, personally, that this subject is too sacred to just openly flaunt and put out there.

I feel this way because I am relatively easy going. But if you disrespect my mother or my wife, I tend to get more than a little upset. I think that most men are this way. That is why I feel that just proclaiming this as doctrine, etc., is a little too sacred for me, and feel that it should be viewed as such.

I know all about 'O My Father' etc., but it isn't doctrine, just personal belief. Again, I do believe, but I think some discretion is advised...

Hopefully, this will not be taken as a poke or slam, and that it isn't some PH holder trying to keep a woman down, but rather in the light that I intended...

I must confess that I get a little leery with the constant references to being a priestess and queen and Heavenly Mother.

I believe that there is a Heavenly Mother, but I don't make that a 'part' of me. I feel that it is too sacred of a subject to constantly put out in front of people as fact. Our HF felt so strongly about this that he never let us know this, knowing that his name would be taken in vain, and to protect her he didn't let others know. I believe, personally, that this subject is too sacred to just openly flaunt and put out there.

I feel this way because I am relatively easy going. But if you disrespect my mother or my wife, I tend to get more than a little upset. I think that most men are this way. That is why I feel that just proclaiming this as doctrine, etc., is a little too sacred for me, and feel that it should be viewed as such.

I know all about 'O My Father' etc., but it isn't doctrine, just personal belief. Again, I do believe, but I think some discretion is advised...

Hopefully, this will not be taken as a poke or slam, and that it isn't some PH holder trying to keep a woman down, but rather in the light that I intended...

I have heard views like yours expressed of keeping the idea of Heavenly Mother sacred. But due to our doctrines, sisters have a hard time with this.

Since both men and women have their own specific roles it would be great to have a role model that could understand the needs specific to each and be sensitive to them. There are some things which are easier discussed amongst females ;)

<div class='quotemain'>

I have heard views like yours expressed of keeping the idea of Heavenly Mother sacred. But due to our doctrines, sisters have a hard time with this.

Since both men and women have their own specific roles it would be great to have a role model that could understand the needs specific to each and be sensitive to them. There are some things which are easier discussed amongst females ;)

The above being said. If we are to trust the authority of the church there must be some reason why there is little to no mention of a Heavenly Mother. Keeping it sacred is as good a view as any. Many times trouble is started when someone brings up "your mother this or your mother that."

Everything that you said is totally true.

I believe that some people are just trying to get their way when they do not understand this. We have a Relief Society President who can address the Sisters and help them to understand the views of the Church and the Heavenly Father.

An example: If Dad says no, go ask Mom. If she says no too, ask your Grandparents. How far will someone go before they get what they want?.....Satan, is that you? :lol:

But this isn't a private discussion "amongst females". It is a public message board; hence, the discomfort.

<div class='quotemain'>

But this isn't a private discussion "amongst females". It is a public message board; hence, the discomfort.

I really was debating whether to say anything or not, as I don't want to cause another eruption here, but when I read that, I got chills up my spine, and they weren't good chills. Our HF and our Savior, his Son, Jesus Christ, PERFECTLY understands ALL of our trials and tribulations here upon the earth. Even if we taught openly about a Heavenly Mother, we still wouldn't pray to her, or ask her because 'Father wouldn't understand'.

Again, not a poke, just want to clarify that.

Forgive me, but I think: 'So, if people could tell me what blessings they feel they have receieved by going to the temple??' is more of a question about blessings already experienced. In other words, if I asked this about Baptism and one said: 'It gets you into heaven.' This answer would be concerning the ultimate blessings of baptism, not the immediate blessings. I think that is what is being asked for here.

Although we are to ultimately sit in Christ's throne with Him (Rev. 3:21), we do NOT do so the day we take out our endowments. Although those in the Celestial Kingdom enjoy the blessings of exaltation, immortality, and eternal lives, we walk out the door of the temple and drive our little family in our honda through the traffic of the telestial world; and junior has a cough and a sniffle and needs food.

One will notice that although the temple (and the gospel in general) will direct our minds to the eternal perspective, we must never forget 'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.' (Matt 6:34) This principle, that we must focus on the present and rely on the LORD, is not only a popularly noted precept of the Saviour's famous sermon, but vividly and beautifully manifested in the ordinances of the temple. One will notice, that our faithful parents Adam & Eve held to the instructions of the LORD and awaited patiently His further light and knowledge.

I think the question offered by Aphrodite is a brilliant one. What blessings can one realize here and now in this the telestial and temporal world? The temple offers answers to this question. Our parents Adam & Eve faithfully commited themselves to the kingdom of God and were unwilling to allow worldly pursuits to thwart their current righteous objectives. It was through this that they realized the ministration of angels and the comfort and blessing of revelation here in the telestial world. The peace and happiness afforded them thereby are of more value than any worldly treasure as mentioned also by the Saviour in His sermon.

We too, following their example, and indeed that of the LORD, can 'seek first the kingdom of God' and have added to us the temporal and spiritual blessings necessary for our passing through our mortal probation without fear or concern for the things of the world. As we receive these blessings we will advance and continue onward until we ultimately realize the great blessing of the presence of the LORD.

I personally have received much in my temple attendance and I blush that I do not attend more often.

-a-train