Random strangers...

...can be so nice!  To put this in context, I will relate the following true story:

I have a really junkie car with a broken gas gauge.  My sweet toddler managed to reset the trip odometer, so I thought I had more gas than I actually did.  This morning, I ran out of gas.  I was on a reasonably busy road, still a mile or so from the gas station, and my toddler was with me.  Not exactly the way I planned to start my day!  

As I waved to the cars behind me to go around, I started to pray and formulate my plan for the best way to handle my predicament, two men happened by in their truck (presumably on their way to work, as it was a work truck) and helped me get my car off the road.  One of them then stayed with us while the other went to the nearest gas station, bought a gas can, filled it up, and drove back.  When I offered to repay them, they wouldn't take any money.

With that in mind, I thought, "Let's restore our faith in humanity and in miracles today."  In what way has the Lord answered your prayers before you have even finished them?  How has he used others (including random strangers) to bless your life?  Or have you been the one on the giving end?

Guest MormonGator
30 minutes ago, Southern_Bell said:

How has he used others (including random strangers) to bless your life?  

The beautiful LadyGator and I loved to take road trips in college. We were sort of broke, but we were adventurous and wanted to be together away from everyone else. One time, we drove from New England down to Jacksonville, Fl for no real reason other than to get away. We were broke and we badly miscalculated how much money it would take to get us there and home again. We didn't have money for a hotel, so we pulled over at a rest stop in rural South Carolina. We slept in our cars for a little bit. We woke up, got off the highway and stopped at a brand new hotel, assuming there would be a free continental breakfast where we could hopefully get some free food without much commotion. After eating, I walked up to the front desk and asked for a tooth brush, hoping to get one without any questions. The front desk lady asked what room number I was in and given I was not on my A game, I said "Oh, I'm sorry, I don't have a room here." I was immediately thinking "Oh no, they've found out. What about the breakfast?!" Keep in mind, I was very young at the time. This was decades ago, late 90s.  The lady looked confused, so I just unloaded on her "We're far from home! Slept in our car! Help!" She gave us a free room for a few hours which allowed us to shower, rest a bit, brush our teeth, etc and then she looked the other way as we took little boxes of cereal from the dining area. We thanked her profusely afterwards. She was an angel to us. 

Edited by MormonGator

52 minutes ago, Southern_Bell said:

How has he used others (including random strangers) to bless your life?  Or have you been the one on the giving end?

I was once trying to get to someone's house on a rainy night.  This section of town did not have any street lighting.  Because my wipers were pitiful, my visibility was severely hampered.  I finally found the entrance to their subdivision.  But I couldn't tell where the road was.  There was a marquee.  But I couldn't see what side of the entrance road it was.

--cut scene--

I called my friend and told him I was stuck in a ditch and would be a bit late.  As I was doing so, a few guys came around with a truck and a chain who offered to help me out of the ditch.  They did so.  I tried to pay them.  They refused.

I told them to have a Merry Christmas.  Yes, it rains a lot instead of snowing in Texas winters.

Edited by Guest

59 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

The beautiful LadyGator and I loved to take road trips in college. We were sort of broke, but we were adventurous and wanted to be together away from everyone else

Next time, try bicycles.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/resources/blog/seven-tips-for-bicycle-touring-on-a-budget/

If you've got Kindle Unlimited, search for "bicycle touring" in the Unlimited books and you'll find some really interesting reads.  Apparently small town fire stations are a great place to ask about bedding down for the night.  Even if they don't invite you in, they'll know who's likely to let you camp for free.

Thinking next time I find myself at a loose end with a little cash saved up, I just might try a 2-6 week ride.  Slowly building up the gear to do some weekend camping rides, as there are a couple of good state parks within 60 miles of here that I can get to mostly on back roads or highways with wide, smooth shoulders.

Edited by NightSG

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, NightSG said:

they'll know who's likely to let you camp for free.

The odds of me camping are the same odds as @LiterateParakeet wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat.

In other words, my version of "roughing it" is staying at a place that doesn't have mints on the pillow. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

The odds of me camping are the same odds as @LiterateParakeet wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat.

In other words, my version of "roughing it" is staying at a place that doesn't have mints on the pillow. 

I am so jealous that you were able to find a woman like @LadyGator to place them on your pillow for you.  Of course, if she stopped being so nice to you, you wouldn't let her do your laundry anymore.:P

Guest MormonGator
11 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I am so jealous that you were able to find a woman like @LadyGator to place them on your pillow for you.  Of course, if she stopped being so nice to you, you wouldn't let her do your laundry anymore.:P

lol. For the record, (and I know this is a cardinal sin) I stay at home and do the housework while she works outside the house. We don't buy into the traditional gender role garbage.