Tell me where I can go...

Bini

I'm in northern Utah and I'm wanting to go on a day excursion Saturday or Sunday. Mostly I'm just wanting to unwind and maybe sightsee but not looking to be too active, although, hikes would be fine and rivers or lakes are great. Also, I know there are lots of interesting little places in and around Utah, too, so if anyone knows of a hidden gem location let me know. Lastly, I'll be driving a car so I won't be able to path find any rugged terrain but smooth-ish dirt roads are doable. Any recommendations?

This place is very popular (will take a few hours to drive there).  Keep on going past that place and you get a beautiful drive.  Stop and hike around wherever you wish, or just turn around and drive back.

Antelope Island (not that exciting, IMO, but maybe I've been here too long).

Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge (north end of Great Salt Lake)?

Don't know about Route 39 to Pineview Reservoir, but pretty much all the canyons east of Salt Lake are a nice scenic drive, and you can stop and hike in any number of places.

On the west side of Salt Lake, driving up Butterfield Canyon is beautiful.  (Go west on the road this shows you.)

ETA: That last one will take you up to where you can look down into the copper mine - quite a sight if you've never seen it.  You probably want 4-wheel drive to get that far.

Edited by zil

On 8/7/2017 at 11:42 AM, Bini said:

I'm in northern Utah and I'm wanting to go on a day excursion Saturday or Sunday. Mostly I'm just wanting to unwind and maybe sightsee but not looking to be too active, although, hikes would be fine and rivers or lakes are great. Also, I know there are lots of interesting little places in and around Utah, too, so if anyone knows of a hidden gem location let me know. Lastly, I'll be driving a car so I won't be able to path find any rugged terrain but smooth-ish dirt roads are doable. Any recommendations?

How far are you willing to drive before you turn around to head home?

On 8/8/2017 at 1:46 PM, Mike said:

How far are you willing to drive before you turn around to head home?

I don't plan on spending the night wherever I end up. I'm thinking 2-3 hour drive is about the max I want to do... I will likely leave after work on Saturday about 12-1pm ish.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:14 PM, zil said:

This place is very popular (will take a few hours to drive there).  Keep on going past that place and you get a beautiful drive.  Stop and hike around wherever you wish, or just turn around and drive back.

Antelope Island (not that exciting, IMO, but maybe I've been here too long).

Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge (north end of Great Salt Lake)?

Don't know about Route 39 to Pineview Reservoir, but pretty much all the canyons east of Salt Lake are a nice scenic drive, and you can stop and hike in any number of places.

On the west side of Salt Lake, driving up Butterfield Canyon is beautiful.  (Go west on the road this shows you.)

ETA: That last one will take you up to where you can look down into the copper mine - quite a sight if you've never seen it.  You probably want 4-wheel drive to get that far.

Haven't driven to Butterfield Canyon... I have done the other places.

22 minutes ago, Bini said:

I don't plan on spending the night wherever I end up. I'm thinking 2-3 hour drive is about the max I want to do... I will likely leave after work on Saturday about 12-1pm ish.

Have you checked out Stewart Falls? (approximately 1 hr 35 minute drive for you). 

Stewart Falls is one of the most scenic and photogenic waterfalls in northern Utah. It falls in two tiers and is over 200 feet tall. It is a moderate hike through a beautiful forest on the east side of Mt Timpanogos.

The trail is well-marked and easy to follow. The descent from the ridge down to the base of the falls is quite steep (youngsters should be held in check at that point) but this is a great family hike. Summer is a good time to make the trek, and fall is even better because colored leaves are magnificent.