A Little Late Night Levity

mirkwood

Two of my partners got dispatched to an assault investigation this evening. One of them gets on the radio and asks me to come too because it is at a house where we had a drug rip last year. I know the street, so I know which house he is talking about. We arrive together and the fire department is already on scene. We park and as we walk to the house it is actually next door to the house where the drug rip occurred. My partner points to the house east of where we are going and says, “oh it’s that house.” I say, “no, it’s that house,” and point to the house to the west. My partner says, “no, it’s this house,” pointing to the house on the east again. I say, “no, it’s that one, in fact it was the call with the driveby too.” My partner looks at me funny and I say, “I think we are talking about two different calls. It’s funny how we are arguing about which house the drug rip was at and we are both right.” Only in the police world!

One of the things that's surprised me in my current job is just how much law enforcement "knows" that still isn't actionable (yet).  The officers I encounter seem to have a reasonably good picture of--e.g.--who the main local drug traffickers are, who the child predators are, which parents are beating their kids, etc.  But, they just can't get the proof (at least, not right away).

It must be hugely frustrating.  ?