Where do you draw the line?

my two cents

I think that in each situation, you need to consider the consequences. For example, if I help move a family this Friday, I will not be spending time with my wife. Hmm. My wife really needs to see me. So I will not help move this time. I think we all need to pause and say a prayer about these choices.

i have friends who always say, Yes to church duties but these same friends are quite depressed all the time. Sometimes you need to say, No...or you will go crazy. 

2 hours ago, my two cents said:

So when it comes to helping with Church things, where do you draw the line between 'everyone is supposed to be pitch in' vs 'I can't be all things to all people'?

My rule of thumbs for helping people (not just Church people):

1) If me helping you hurts you, then I shouldn't do it.  This includes hurting you by denying you the opportunity to become self-sufficient or encouraging unhealthy dependency. 

2) If me helping you is seriously hurting me, then i should take a step back.  It's still important to take care of me too.  I have the right to say no for my own health.

3) There is a priority list for getting help.  My immediate family in my first responsibility.  Then extended family and close friends.  Then other groups.  If my husband really need my help, then other people are going to have to wait- he comes first.

Edited by Jane_Doe