Hey Florida People

15 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Pretty soon we'll be saying, Hey Florida/South Carolina people. 

This post ^^ prompted me to start this thread.

What are you guys doing to prepare?  What is the government doing?  What is the Church doing (notice from GAs as well as local authorities)?

Plans?

The interesting thing about Florida is that we have Hurricane Season instead of Fall/Winter.  So hurricane preparedness is a yearly thing like buying school supplies for the Florida locals.  Florida has a lot of transients though so there is always that large sector of Floridians that have not experienced hurricane landfall in Hurricane Season and do not quite know what to do.  Our ward goes through hurricane preparedness lesson every year for this reason.

Irma is gonna be a big one if it doesn't shift out to sea.  So the biggest decision is... should I leave my house?  If you're east of the Atlantic intercoastal you should be gone already.  If you wait until Friday, you're going to be sitting out the hurricane in your car on the road if Irma hits.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

This post ^^ prompted me to start this thread.

What are you guys doing to prepare?  What is the government doing?  What is the Church doing (notice from GAs as well as local authorities)?

Plans?

So far, the Nature Coast is doing typical hurricane stuff. Getting gasoline, food, water, waiting to see an evacuation order, etc. People are freaking out over this, and that's the worst thing to do. Keep calm and carry on. 

I'm staying put and in the immortal words of REO Speedwagon, I'm going to ride the storm out. 

23 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

So far, the Nature Coast is doing typical hurricane stuff. Getting gasoline, food, water, waiting to see an evacuation order, etc. People are freaking out over this, and that's the worst thing to do. Keep calm and carry on. 

I'm staying put and in the immortal words of REO Speedwagon, I'm going to ride the storm out. 

Whatever you do, stay safe, friend.

The only real direct experience I have had with hurricanes is Ike, back in 2008.  (With Harvey, we experienced the hurricane's rain bands hitting us for four days straight, but not hurricane level winds, etc.)  By the time Ike reached my house, it was barely a category 1, and that was more than enough experience with hurricanes for me!  I still remember how crazy the wind was, to this day.  I was scared to death!

Edited by DoctorLemon

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

The only real direct experience I have had with hurricanes is Ike, back in 2008.  (With Harvey, we experienced the hurricane's rain bands hitting us for four days straight, but not hurricane level winds, etc.)  By the time Ike reached my house, it was barely a category 1, and that was more than enough experience with hurricanes for me!  I still remember how crazy the wind was, to this day.  I was scared to death!

Thanks bud. We'll be okay. 

As of 12:20 FOX 13 out of Tampa is stating that it's shifting eastward. I'm more worried for my friends on the Atlantic coast. Jacksonville, Miami, Ft Lauderdale. The only people I know in Jville have already evacuated to Pensacola. My family is coming up from Sarasota to stay here for the night too. 

21 minutes ago, DoctorLemon said:

We just had one hit last year - Matthew.  Cat 2 when it hit land.  My in-laws' are still living in the insurance-paid hotel until today because his house repairs are still not done!  So, it would be a major ugh! if they have to go back to square 1 with Irma.

We've been through several hurricanes.  But before Matthew, we had a few years of reprieve... nothing but tropical storms hitting land.  There was that one year where we got hit with 3 back-to-back hurricanes running down the alphabet.  There was also Floyd that was ginormous but stayed out on the Atlantic so we didn't get too much of it.  There was Andrew before that that wiped out Miami.  We had my son's baptism a few years ago on the ocean while a hurricane was brewing out in the Atlantic.  Made it easy to dunk my kid because they just had to stand there, say the rite, and wait a couple seconds for the wave to swell. 

We're still on letter I.  There's gonna be a lot more coming this year.  Welcome to Florida.

Edited by anatess2

11 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Thanks bud. We'll be okay. 

As of 12:20 FOX 13 out of Tampa is stating that it's shifting eastward. I'm more worried for my friends on the Atlantic coast. Jacksonville, Miami, Ft Lauderdale. The only people I know in Jville have already evacuated to Pensacola. My family is coming up from Sarasota to stay here for the night too. 

Are you in Tampa?

I have an uncle and brother in law in Tampa (Well, actually one is in St. Petersburg and the other in Clearwater, but close to Tampa).

Stay safe.

Guest MormonGator
7 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Are you in Tampa?

I have an uncle and brother in law in Tampa (Well, actually one is in St. Petersburg and the other in Clearwater, but close to Tampa).

Stay safe.

Thank you my friend. 

No, I'm about two hours north of Tampa 

Okay... Whew.  That was bad.

We had flooding but thankfully it didn't go inside the houses.  It just blocked the entrance to our subdivision.  Lots of our shingles are now in our backyard and we have a leak in one bathroom.  Our screened-in patio is now an un-screened patio.  But other than that, we've been very fortunate!  Even my DIY chicken coop sustained ZERO damage!  I am very impressed by my husband and kids' tying-down skills!  It was bone dry inside the coop even with the siding being built with deck boards.

The neighbor's tree fell on the road but that's a good thing because if it would have gone the other way, it would have hit her house.  But the whole tree did not fall, it snapped in half and the top half fell, which is good because it would have fallen on our house instead of just blocking the road.  Several other trees fell but they all fell towards backyards or frontyards but none on houses.  It's amazing actually. 

The power is out so we are enjoying the symphony of portable generators.  Our generator has been running for 20 hours and it still has almost half a tank on it.  We did very well on generator usage.  Yes, it helps that we're not powering the portable AC.  My husband is the only one that needs it so he capitulated and used a portable fan that's constantly pointing at him wherever he goes in the house. 

The city did not cut off our water supply which was a Yeay! so we still get to have cold water coming out of our fridge door.  No hot water though.  That ran out yesterday.  Which is just fine.  Cold showers are actually very refreshing after working out all day cutting off trees out of roads.

Kids can't go back to school yet as some schools are flooded and other are used for shelters.  Husband's work is still closed too.  So, they've been going places cleaning up debris, etc.  I am like a Disney Princess just nitpicking our house into order especially with dogs and chickens and birds sharing the space and fish and turtle filters not running.  The boys even come home to fire up the grill and cook our meals - my husband thinks grills are a boy's job.  That's one gender stereotype I don't have any desire to dissuade them from.  :)