Caffeine

Guest Ammon

Guest Ammon

I love Coca-Cola. It is, hands down, my favorite beverage. A day without a Coke is like a day without sunshine. Nevertheless, I know that many members refuse to drink caffeinated beverages of any kind, especially here in California. And I remember as a youth in the 70s hearing General Authorities speak against caffeinated beverages such as Coke, Pepsi, etc. Clearly, coffee and tea are out of bounds; that much is taught in the missionary discussions forthright. Nevertheless, what is the position on drinks such as Coke or candy such as chocolate? I honestly don't know at this point. Any insight?

EDIT: this question has nothing to do with my postings on other sites. I am simply curious, as I thoroughly enjoy ice-cold Coca-Cola.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Ammon@Apr 13 2004, 12:20 PM

I love Coca-Cola. It is, hands down, my favorite beverage. A day without a Coke is like a day without sunshine. Nevertheless, I know that many members refuse to drink caffeinated beverages of any kind, especially here in California. And I remember as a youth in the 70s hearing General Authorities speak against caffeinated beverages such as Coke, Pepsi, etc. Clearly, coffee and tea are out of bounds; that much is taught in the missionary discussions forthright. Nevertheless, what is the position on drinks such as Coke or candy such as chocolate? I honestly don't know at this point. Any insight?

EDIT: this question has nothing to do with my postings on other sites. I am simply curious, as I thoroughly enjoy ice-cold Coca-Cola.

The WOW says hot drinks which means coffee and tea. beyond that it is between you and the Lord.

This discussion reminds me of the movie SWAT. Those of you who saw it will likely remember the guy in the "cage" who converted to mormonism. The guy was always sneaking Dr Peppers and was accused of cheating on his wife with fast foods.

Why deny yourself something pleasurable if it's harmless? Read meats, white bread, and many other wonderful tasting foods are bad for you too. If you're going to try and eat healthy, at least go all the way. And do if because you want to, not because your church has a policy.

Our church doesn't have a policy about it. Various authorities have given their personal stance on it, even Pres. Hinckley. However, it's not in the WOW and I look at it as this..

If you can't go a day without a artifical chemical like caffeine, is it good for you? I drink Coke here and there, but for a while I saw myself falling into the "A day without Coke is like a day without sunshine" category, and knowing my addictive behavior I backed off. No offense Ammon lol

Why deny yourself something pleasurable if it's harmless?

Yeah and maybe drugs...if it's pleasurable. How about a little adultry...if it's pleasurable?

And do if because you want to, not because your church has a policy.

How about if it is from God?

Yeah and maybe drugs...if it's pleasurable. How about a little adultry...if it's pleasurable?

You consider a cup of coffee, a mars bar and a coke to be on the same level as adultery and cocaine?

How about if it is from God?

According to whom?

Our church doesn't have a policy about it. Various authorities have given their personal stance on it, even Pres. Hinckley.

Ok, their personal opinions are one thing but why would one human being live their life according to the will of another human being that has nothing invested in them personally.

If you can't go a day without a artifical chemical like caffeine, is it good for you? I drink Coke here and there, but for a while I saw myself falling into the "A day without Coke is like a day without sunshine" category, and knowing my addictive behavior I backed off.

Yes, I can go a day without aritificial chemicals like caffeine. I enjoy many things in moderation. I like beer, wings, steak, bar-b-q, and many other things. One of my first medic trainers once told me that if people eat too well then their immune systems will not know how to fight off disease, and we will pass that down to our kids. That is a big reason why my wife and I do not drink bottled water.

Guest Ammon

Originally posted by Faerie@Apr 13 2004, 03:19 PM

Our church doesn't have a policy about it. Various authorities have given their personal stance on it, even Pres. Hinckley. However, it's not in the WOW and I look at it as this..

If you can't go a day without a artifical chemical like caffeine, is it good for you? I drink Coke here and there, but for a while I saw myself falling into the "A day without Coke is like a day without sunshine" category, and knowing my addictive behavior I backed off. No offense Ammon lol

Yes, sometimes it becomes, "An hour without a Coke is like an hour without sunshine." :( That cannot be a good thing. <_<

It's kind of silly that some would be so bothered about the way others eat. Just another nit to pick, I suppose. It may be galling for them to think that LDS dietary habits may lead them to live longer. :lol:

Some people actually eat the way the Bible commands in Leviticus; those laws were not rescinded, you know. Men just chose to stop following them.

Guest Starsky

Romans 14:

1 HIM that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

I just take it this far for my own good...My goal in this life is to get rid of my weaknesses, not make new ones.

Where you gonna get a coke in heaven when you crave for one? I prefur to lighten my load now. :D

Just a thought.

Laureltree

Guest Ammon

Originally posted by Outshined@Apr 13 2004, 04:54 PM

Here is an article on the WOW, with a link about cola drinks.....

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/daily/h.../Wisdom_EOM.htm

Thank you for that link. From the article addressing cola (and all caffeinated) drinks, it appears to me that the plea to avoid such beverages is just about as close to becoming official doctrine as one can get, without actually making it to the level of official doctrine. Such strong words against these beverages are, for me, a crushing blow, as I so enjoy Coca-Cola. Nevertheless, the words spoken by the prophets and apostles in that article are clear, and I will make a concerted effort to avoid such beverages.

Guest Ammon

Originally posted by Outshined@Apr 13 2004, 04:57 PM

The quote that zings the most is that we should avoid any substance that creates a need for itself.

Indeed, but one must be careful not to confuse a "need" verses a "desire." One may desire a prime, dry-aged porterhouse steak, but since steak has no known addicitive properties, it does not fall within the gambit of this particular quote. Caffeine, on the other hand, creates a scientifically-proven addiction. Hence, I propose that if it isn't addictive, meaning the creation of a NEED, then the quote does not apply to whatever food or drink is in question.

Originally posted by Ammon@Apr 13 2004, 01:20 PM

A really wise man, a friend of our family's who served as a bishop, said this...

If you get to the weekend and don't drink any sodas at all, and begin getting headaches and other withdrawal signs, you are drinking too much. The WOW is about health. Being addicted to a drug (regardless of how 'small' the drug may be) isn't healthy. If you can go all weekend without sodas and do not get affected by it, then odds are, you aren't drinking so much that it is unhealthy for you.

Pretty wise insight, isn't it?

broadway

Originally posted by srm@Apr 13 2004, 12:43 PM

The WOW says hot drinks which means coffee and tea. beyond that it is between you and the Lord.

Actually the WoW says hot drinks which means drinks that are hot.

The Church, as a matter of policy, currently interprets hot drinks to mean drinks that are hot or cold or lukewarm that are coffee or tea and lets pass for true the rumor that cold cola is also a hot drink prohibited by the WoW.

Originally posted by Tr2@Apr 13 2004, 03:44 PM

Ok, their personal opinions are one thing but why would one human being live their life according to the will of another human being that has nothing invested in them personally.

You mean like the personal opinions of the purported authors of the Bible? Is what way is their opinion not personal?

Originally posted by Tr2@Apr 13 2004, 03:44 PM

One of my first medic trainers once told me that if people eat too well then their immune systems will not know how to fight off disease, and we will pass that down to our kids. That is a big reason why my wife and I do not drink bottled water.

Come on Trident,

This one is a hanging softball. Give me something tougher to deal with... for all our sakes.

Originally posted by Snow+Apr 13 2004, 06:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Apr 13 2004, 06:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--srm@Apr 13 2004, 12:43 PM

The WOW says hot drinks which means coffee and tea.  beyond that it is between you and the Lord.

Actually the WoW says hot drinks which means drinks that are hot.

The Church, as a matter of policy, currently interprets hot drinks to mean drinks that are hot or cold or lukewarm that are coffee or tea and lets pass for true the rumor that cold cola is also a hot drink prohibited by the WoW.

It was Hyrum Smith (in the 1840s) that said that hot drinks mean coffee and tea. It is not just the Church's current interpretation.