Is anyone doing/recently done an undergraduate degree or college course?

Sunday21

20 minutes ago, KScience said:

I am shocked at how much students expect lecturers to do for them and how little they expect to take ownership of their own learning. I come from a secondary school teaching environment and can honestly say that I taught 11 year olds with a better work ethic .

This is because the modern education system is designed to beat people into compliant cubicle-dwellers who do what they're told without question.  11-year-olds haven't been completely beaten into compliance yet.

I have a question that I hope doesn’t offend anyone. When I do research for law school acceptance BYU always has one of the highest gpa averages. That leads me to believe BYU undergrads receive some of the highest gpa’s in the nation. Is gpa grossly inflated at BYU or do the students just work harder?

I guess the other option to consider is that BYU law attracts some of the brightest minds.

Edited by Tyme

6 minutes ago, Tyme said:

I’m one of those students that probably upset you. I never read the textbooks. I’m still able to get a’s and b’s. It’s not something I’m necessarily proud of.

if you are sallying forth into a family business...I am fine with that. What i dread is that email that comes 2 years after graduation which says, I still do not have a managerial position. Even I am still working as a server. At that point, it is tough to know what to say. We have companies that come looking for managerial talent but they look at grades! And they ask for references.

4 minutes ago, Tyme said:

I have a question that I hope doesn’t offend anyone. When I do research for law school acceptance BYU always has one of the highest gpa averages. That leads me to believe BYU undergrads receive some of the highest gpa’s in the nation. Is gpa grossly inflated at BYU or do the students just work harder?

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings

Somewhere in the 40's

14 minutes ago, Tyme said:

I’m one of those students that probably upset you. I never read the textbooks. I’m still able to get a’s and b’s. It’s not something I’m necessarily proud of.

I would be FAR from upset (my reading is very rarely textbooks for my subjects its mostly research papers or government produced documents). You would not be emailing me asking me to explain basic concepts and would go away and study anything you needed to. I do explain that all students in each class can get a 2.1 or a 1st for each module but that will require reading around the subject and having a knowledge of current industry practices and research.

Edited by KScience

On 11/12/2018 at 10:56 AM, Tyme said:

I guess the other option to consider is that BYU law attracts some of the brightest minds.

If you're talking about BYU-Provo, they have a high standard for acceptance into the university.  From my last research into it (my kid is in senior year right now aiming for a BYU-Provo acceptance), the average GPA of incoming freshmen is 3.85!  That's mighty high!  So, right off the bat, they're only getting the best of the best high school grads.  I don't know BYU-Provo culture but I highly doubt the campus environment fosters bright, diligent, and goal-oriented kids into lazy ninnies.  So, that's probably why they graduate with top GPAs too.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, anatess2 said:

If you're talking about BYU-Provo, they have a high standard for acceptance into the university.  From my last research into it (my kid is in senior year right now aiming for a BYU-Provo acceptance), the average GPA of incoming freshmen is 3.85!  That's mighty high!  So, right off the bat, they're only getting the best of the best high school grads.  I don't know BYU-Provo culture but I highly doubt the campus environment fosters bright, diligent, and goal-oriented kids into lazy ninnies.  So, that's probably why they graduate with top GPAs too.

Higher GPA needed than Harvard, or at least very similar.  That's pretty competitive.