A Jewish journalist tours the Oakland Temple open house

tesuji

Guest Mores

I liked it too.  I found it amusing that the author said

This is a religion that loves The Jews™.

Tongue in cheek.

I have been surprised to find that apart from certain communities in Utah, the feeling is often not reciprocated.  Not that they hate us.  They just don't want to be all buddy-buddy with them.  More of an annoyance.

I guess I was raised in a sheltered community where I thought most Jews and Latter-day Saints thought of each other as brothers (or cousins).  Instead, I get the feeling that they look on us as the little brother who always wants to hang out with his big brother.  They're sometimes frustrated and often roll their eyes and try to be nice.  But they'd rather be left alone.

I've found a few individuals are ok with just being friends.  But they certainly don't feel a sense of kinship simply because of any LDS - Jewish connection.

Anyone else outside of Utah felt that way?

1 minute ago, Mores said:

I liked it too.  I found it amusing that the author said

Tongue in cheek.

I have been surprised to find that apart from certain communities in Utah, the feeling is often not reciprocated.  Not that they hate us.  They just don't want to be all buddy-buddy with them.  More of an annoyance.

I guess I was raised in a sheltered community where I thought most Jews and Latter-day Saints thought of each other as brothers (or cousins).  Instead, I get the feeling that they look on us as the little brother who always wants to hang out with his big brother.  They're sometimes frustrated and often roll their eyes and try to be nice.  But they'd rather be left alone.

I've found a few individuals are ok with just being friends.  But they certainly don't feel a sense of kinship simply because of any LDS - Jewish connection.

Anyone else outside of Utah felt that way?

I don't think most Jews give us a second thought. To us, Jews are the ancient covenant people, almost "dry Mormons". To them, we're just some weird Christianish cult with a Jew fetish.