Signpost or Subtle?

prisonchaplain

I usually post my occasional teachings at the Christian Beliefs forum. However, I believe this one comports almost entirely with the LDS message: Every member a missionary! Hope you enjoy . . .

WILL I BE SUBTLE OR A SIGNPOST?

A simple question today—will I be subtle or a signpost? There are two ways to be hidden. I can be so obnoxious and hypocritical that my frequent references to God and the scriptures do more harm than good. On the other hand, I can be so cautious about not disrespecting the faith journeys of others that they have no idea that I have one of my own.

We will consider examples of two reluctant missionaries. Lot was eager to go to the mission field—but not to be a missionary. Jonah, on the other hand, was so ready to serve God—just not where God wanted him to go. According to Moses’ account, Lot got to choose where he would live. The land he picked was rich with today’s blessing, yet a spiritual wasteland. We are often tempted to seek our eternal blessings in this life. Yet, Jesus warns us that those who take try to take care of themselves in this life will lose out with God, while those who leave the worries of today in God’s hands will gain God’s great blessings.

Lot chose for himself a land where the people were exceedingly sinful. If God chooses to send us to a sinful land, we can go in joy, knowing we have the strength of the Lord. I live in Seattle. It is known as the anti-Bible belt. Atheism is 3% in the United States. It’s 25% in metropolitan Seattle. So, if God’s in it, welcome to the mission field! If not, think twice before subjecting your family and self to spiritual hostility for better pay and a longer title!

Later in Moses’ account God informs Abraham Sodom and Gomorrah would be destroyed. He asks that God spare the evil cities if 10 righteous people can be found in them. Abraham asks God to spare Lot and his family. The reality is that even though Lot was so comfortable with Sodom that he referred to his neighbors as “brothers,” there were none that he influenced towards God’s righteous ways. After living in that place for so long, he did not manage to attract anyone to follow the Lord.

Rather than impacting his city for God, Lot allowed the evil culture to corrupt him. In one of the most heart-wrenching scenes in the Bible a gang of men demand that Lot send out God’s messengers so they can rape them. Lot offers his virgin daughters instead. Lot knows how the Soddomites think. Somebody is going to be raped this night. He is God-fearing and does not want to be blamed if two of the Lord’s servants are molested. So, he figures he must give over his two daughters. This is the lesser of two evils in his mind.

Yes, the community is evil. God judges it—doing the world a favor. Yet, how sad that Lot is so compromised! Lot chose the path of security and ease, rather than mission. He found himself in a morally hostile setting. He chose the safety of subtlety rather than being a clear signpost—directing the sinful to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. There were not 10 righteous to be found in the cities—suggesting that Lot and his family had no influence on their neighbors. Further, Lot had been so desensitized to the wickedness of sin that he offered his virgin daughters to be molested.

I may find myself in a difficult, morally hostile culture.  Will I simply try to get by—to be subtle?  Or, will we be signposts to the gospel? Unlike Lot, Jonah was eager to be a missionary, but not to go to the missionary field God had for him.

Like many Christians, he was probably eager to God’s work.  However, only in his own way. When God said, “Go to Ninevah,” Jonah ran away. Ninevah was part of a land that was an enemy to Israel.  The Jews hated Ninevah.

We need to learn from Lot and Jonah. Perhaps, like Lot, I have learned to fit in. However, I realize today that I need to be more open about my faith in Christ. I need to be a gospel witness. Perhaps, like Jonah, I have spent all my time dreaming of my next location. However, I realize today that God wants me to be His witness right now and right here.

How many of us run away, when God asks us to do something we don’t like? God may be telling you that he wants you to do his work at your job, school, or even neighborhood. You say, Lord, send me and I’ll represent You. God may be saying, “Represent Me right where you are.  I’ll move you when I’m ready!”            

You say, “I can’t.  I won’t!” Let us learn from Jonah. He also said he couldn’t and he wouldn’t. Nevertheless, he did! The reluctant prophet obeyed God. He walked great distances. He proclaimed the word of the Lord. The spirit of conviction was mighty, and the king of Nineveh led the people to repentance.  God help me to be a gospel witness, 24-7-365—all day, every day—in our seemingly godless culture, and wherever God takes me.

To see this message delivered go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwCYkYs14V8

Edited by prisonchaplain

Christianity, in its pure form, makes good people. There's no way around it; if you are practicing true Christianity, you are a good person, or are becoming one.

The world we live in is not yet so lost that it can't recognize goodness. Even the most depraved are capable of seeing it in others. Let this fact lend you faith when facing the difficult decisions to open up about your convictions. After all, how will they glorify God if they do not know from whence your goodness comes? (Mathew 5:16)

There are no true atheists. They'll know good when they see it. The only thing you have to worry about with atheists, is that their understanding of the divine is infantile. Often times they think they know what Christianity is about, but really have no clue. There is no way to tell it to them, you must show it by your example and lifestyle.

As an engineer and scientist, I have spent most of my life working with atheists.    Not all but by far, most of the atheists I have encountered were raised in Christian homes as Christians.  Most Christians think atheists are ignorant of Christianity.  @prisonchaplain is a really good guy but I do not think he understands why many atheists have turned from Christianity.

I have often thought the fastest way to lose an argument is to not listen to what someone else is saying.  We, including myself, want to set the narrative.   We want the discussion on our terms.  I would submit that @prisonchaplain will convert many more atheists by his kindness than his logic.  I could help him with his logic but he is not interested in that and for good reason.  For most atheists - the Traditional Christian logic has failed badly and historically Christians have not been known for their kindness towards non-Traditional (non Trinity) Christians any more than were the Pharisees known for their kindness towards the Samaritans. 

The Traveler