Veils

laronius

I'll get right to the question:

Is the "veil of forgetfulness" and the temple veil:

A. The same thing

B. Related 

C. Two totally separate things 

When I say related I mean closely related as all parts of the doctrine are somehow related. Feel free to expound upon your position.

I was listening to the hymn If you could hie to Kolob when it got my mind heading down this path of thought.

9 hours ago, laronius said:

A. The same thing

B. Related 

When I say related I mean closely related as all parts of the doctrine are somehow related. Feel free to expound upon your position.

I was listening to the hymn If you could hie to Kolob when it got my mind heading down this path of thought.

I would say they are related in that the general purpose of a veil is to cover or hide something. In this case, we have a veil hiding knowledge of the past (life in the presence of God), and a veil hiding the knowledge of the future (life in the presence of God). The Plan of Redemption sets our passage through these veils in one direction, but eventually, upon returning to life the presence of God, we will have knowledge of the past, present and future.

There are other veils such as birth, death, and in some ways each ordinance (baptism, confirmation, ordination, endowment, marriage), in that we pass and progress from one state of knowledge and experience into the next.

Edited by CV75

11 hours ago, laronius said:

A. The same thing

B. Related 

In my opinion they are related.  In our current condition, we are dual beings, the carnal and the spiritual body together.  The carnal mind clouds the spiritual and is a "veil" to our understanding as well as not being in the presence of God (could be a presence of mind - spiritually minded).  There may be moments in life that we are more spiritually minded and then the veil is thinner.  When we die, the veil is lifted because we leave behind the carnal mind, the body, the brain.  The "forgetfulness" is a function of us not having the capacity to access our spiritual minds with the limited ability of the human brain (carnal body) that we are using right now.  When we finally enter into Gods presence again with a perfected physical body (brain) then we will not have the "veil of forgetfulness" clouding the access to what we have learned during our spiritual development before coming here.  

22 hours ago, CV75 said:

I would say they are related in that the general purpose of a veil is to cover or hide something. In this case, we have a veil hiding knowledge of the past (life in the presence of God), and a veil hiding the knowledge of the future (life in the presence of God). The Plan of Redemption sets our passage through these veils in one direction, but eventually, upon returning to life the presence of God, we will have knowledge of the past, present and future.

There are other veils such as birth, death, and in some ways each ordinance (baptism, confirmation, ordination, endowment, marriage), in that we pass and progress from one state of knowledge and experience into the next.

It does make one consider other potential parallels such as the atonement which "covers" our sins. Interesting stuff.

20 hours ago, Fifthziff said:

In my opinion they are related.  In our current condition, we are dual beings, the carnal and the spiritual body together.  The carnal mind clouds the spiritual and is a "veil" to our understanding as well as not being in the presence of God (could be a presence of mind - spiritually minded).  There may be moments in life that we are more spiritually minded and then the veil is thinner.  When we die, the veil is lifted because we leave behind the carnal mind, the body, the brain.  The "forgetfulness" is a function of us not having the capacity to access our spiritual minds with the limited ability of the human brain (carnal body) that we are using right now.  When we finally enter into Gods presence again with a perfected physical body (brain) then we will not have the "veil of forgetfulness" clouding the access to what we have learned during our spiritual development before coming here.  

This thought has crossed my mind. We say this veil causes us to forget and then we stop right there not considering what exactly that veil is. When mortals come back into the presence of God a change must take place to their bodies to allow them to endure it. So we know that our fallen bodies do place limits on us. Though I am unsure if all of our premortal life comes flooding back to us the moment we die or if some restrictions remain temporarily. That I am not sure.

14 hours ago, mikbone said:

The temple veil is symbolic of the real veil that separates us from God.

We will not be able to see God the Father nor recall our premortal memories unless we successfully navigate thru life and the veil.  

As I listened to that hymn it made me think about how the purpose of life could be described in the context of our ability to see. First with an eye of faith and then literally as we seek to part that veil. It makes me wonder that if all things are before God, past, present and future, and hopefully for us too some day, how necessary is it to be able to "remember" when we can simply view the past as if it were all one eternal now? 

2 hours ago, laronius said:

As I listened to that hymn it made me think about how the purpose of life could be described in the context of our ability to see. First with an eye of faith and then literally as we seek to part that veil. It makes me wonder that if all things are before God, past, present and future, and hopefully for us too some day, how necessary is it to be able to "remember" when we can simply view the past as if it were all one eternal now? 

At least we''ll have a urim and thumim to live on, and a white stone.