At What Point Does One Become An Elder?

well for adult converts, the men are usually ordained to the office of priest in the Aaronic priesthood within a few weeks. Usually after there has been enough time to discuss the priesthood and explain its significance and then to clear up anything that would need to be cleared up (usually there isnt anything because its so close after baptism).

The convert would then likely be ordained to the office of Elder within the next year if nothing comes up to prevent worthiness issues. But sometimes it happens before than. It highly depends on the circumstances and inspiration and how well they have been prepared.

And although its rare nowadays, there have been Elders that have been ordained almost immediately after baptism. Again this is usually the exception and not the rule.

Mostly, it depends on the Spirit and the preparation.

• 3 weeks later...

I went for several years in the Aaronic status. It wasn't till we got a new Bishop, who asked me why I was not an Elder. All I could do is shrug, so he suggested that it was past due. My guess is that one just needs to wait around long enough and someone will eventually think of it. There is never a need to hurry these sort of things.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, I went through the temple prep class and then once my first year was up I went to interviews with both my bishop and stake president's first counselor. Both went through the oath and covenant of the priesthood from D&C 84 with me. After that, I was ordained and set apart by a member of the elder's quorum. Ironically, I had already been teaching in elder's quorum for three months prior to being ordained an elder.