hi, well as you know i have had some people from the mormon church been visting me and so far so good until i read and heard some things about which the mormons believe which i didnt know about, now i want to give you guys the benefit of the doubt but if these things are true then my personal beliefs will no longer let me pursue this line of relgion.

wondered if you could just tell me if these things you believe to be true?

did God have sex with mary ?

do you think jesus was created?

do you think jesus was married not to just 1 wife but maybe 3?

do you think that you will become gods when you die?

do you think women will be pregnant for etenrnity (in which to populate your own planets???)

do you think God had to earn his status of God?

now if this is what you believe then that truly is your right and i will say no more on the subject, however for me these things i do not believe and will not be a part of any church that does.

any way thanks in advance for your help :D

Sounds like the anti-mormons have been visiting you. I am gonna let someone else go ahead and tackle these questions cause I don't have time right now, but just wanted to say you gotta have the milk before the meat. I think Paul talks about this. The most important thing you can do right now is gain a testimony of Jesus Christ and the plan of salvation. If any of those things were true would that effect what you have to do to gain eternal life with Heavenly Father? Answer that question and then you will know.

hi, well as you know i have had some people from the mormon church been visting me and so far so good until i read and heard some things about which the mormons believe which i didnt know about, now i want to give you guys the benefit of the doubt but if these things are true then my personal beliefs will no longer let me pursue this line of relgion.

do you think women will be pregnant for etenrnity (in which to populate your own planets???)

now if this is what you believe then that truly is your right and i will say no more on the subject, however for me these things i do not believe and will not be a part of any church that does.

I have to agree with Checkerboy- there's a lot of misinformation behind these questions. His advice is solid, and I can also recommend that you go to www.lds.org for straight info.

Now, to answer your questions:

Did God have sex with Mary?

We beleive (and the Scriptures plainly state) that Jesus is the only begotten son of the Father in the flesh. Some LDS leaders have speculated about how that took place (as have conventional Protestant leaders), but there is nothing canon or authoritative about those speculations. We don't know, and most Mormons find such speculation distasteful at best, voyueristic at worst.

Do you think Jesus was created?

This actually gets into some fairly deep theology about which we don't know much. Neither do the Protestants, the Catholics, or the Buddhists. Much of the talk on these issues (from all parties) is enlightened speculation, and more is wild guesses and ignorant opinion. The closest we as LDS come is the belief that Jesus is the literal son of Heavenly Father both physically and spiritually. Whether you beleive that mean he was created or that he existed eternally (just as his father did and just as our souls do) is a matter of interpretation and personal revelation.

Do you think Jesus was married not to just 1 wife but maybe 3?

Again this is something that the Scriptures are silent upon, and that has been speculated about endlessly. On the one hand, it would not be inconsistent with the requirements of his culture- this is a matter of history, not speculation. On the other, it's not doctrinally important and the Heavens are silent on the matter. There has been a lot of talk in both Mormon and Protestant circles on the matter. The official LDS position is that: 1)we don't know, and 2) it's not important to our salvation (which was the entire point of Christ's earthly mission).

Do you think that you will become gods when you die?

This is a little more concrete. The Scriptures (both Protestant and Mormon) are very clear that if we are faithful and endure to the end, that we can become joint heirs in the Kingdom of God with Christ- and by extension inherit all that the Father has. Logically, that would eventually include a similiar degree of wisdom, enlightment, and power. That does not for a moment suggest that we will ever supplant or replace God himself.

Do you think women will be pregnant for eternity (in which to populate your own planets???)

We expect that as husband and wives for all eternity, and upon keeping the fulness of God's commandments, that we will in turn have an increase, just as Heavenly Father did. The exact mechanic of this is subject to a lot of ill-informed speculation, and as typified by your phrasing of the question, inflammatory rhetoric. Frankly, we just don't know much beyond what I've told you. We expect that we will have spirit children and will follow the pattern set for us as joint heirs in the Kingdom of God.

Do you think God had to earn his status of God?

Again, there is a lot of speculation on this front- most of it wholly ignorant. The LDS position is that God is eternal, and has always been God. We also believe that this does not preclude a mortal ministry such as Christ had (remember, for 33 years Christ was mortal without giving up being God). There are those who beleive that Heavenly Father endured a period of mortality, in which he abided by the same laws, suffered the same weaknesses, and was tempted just as we are. The difference is, like his only begotten, he triumphed whereas we have failed and must be redeemed.

Clearly, most of these questions were put to you in such a way as to inflame passions, inspire bigotry, and foreclose on thoughtful conversation rather than to encourage it.

Such contention and close-mindedness is not Christ-like and cannot serve his ministry. If I may be so bold, I might suggest that you look at your sources carefully and determine whether they are trying to inspire honest inquiry or shock and alienate.

Justa my 2 pence worth:

Even today it is possible to have a child without sex... so.... ??

Depends when you mean.. we were all created as spirits first...

Not sure about Jesuses wifes.. but they say you were not called Rabbi if you did not have rather a couple than one....

Depends on if we qualify... a handfull does.... me thinks

:o I doubt that!

Earn?? Hmm we to dont earn anything we are tested to see if we can qualify.... Either we do or we dont. Not sure how God become God... dont want to go there too far away...

Well, I was ready to start answering but then read Seleks answers and find I no longer need to answer, Selek has stated the LDS position very clearly. You will find that many people against us attempt to twist our beliefs for shock value, some do it intentionally and some out of ignorance, also many Mormons (even leaders) have speculated on some things that just are not doctrinal, yet those against us find that one or two sentance phrase that some one speculated on, they then take it out of context all while ignoring everything else that same person said over their lifetime about the same subject, also ignoring clear doctrine and try to say "Yup those crazy Mormons believe........." just to try to shock someone.

You may find selek's answers to be very ambiguous, as I did. He very correctly stated the LDS position at this time. However, this position has been different in the past.

Doctrine has not changed, peoples speculation has(and not just about LDS things?)

You should feel free to read from both pro and "anti" sources as truth does not change.

Yes, be sure to read both sides - the entire; story, sermon or talk, not just cherry picked quotes (especially quotes with lots of ellipses....) and then decide for yourself, its the only way to learn the entire truth.

I have to agree with Checkerboy- there's a lot of misinformation behind these questions. His advice is solid, and I can also recommend that you go to www.lds.org for straight info.

Now, to answer your questions:

We beleive (and the Scriptures plainly state) that Jesus is the only begotten son of the Father in the flesh. Some LDS leaders have speculated about how that took place (as have conventional Protestant leaders), but there is nothing canon or authoritative about those speculations. We don't know, and most Mormons find such speculation distasteful at best, voyueristic at worst.

This actually gets into some fairly deep theology about which we don't know much. Neither do the Protestants, the Catholics, or the Buddhists. Much of the talk on these issues (from all parties) is enlightened speculation, and more is wild guesses and ignorant opinion. The closest we as LDS come is the belief that Jesus is the literal son of Heavenly Father both physically and spiritually. Whether you beleive that mean he was created or that he existed eternally (just as his father did and just as our souls do) is a matter of interpretation and personal revelation.

Again this is something that the Scriptures are silent upon, and that has been speculated about endlessly. On the one hand, it would not be inconsistent with the requirements of his culture- this is a matter of history, not speculation. On the other, it's not doctrinally important and the Heavens are silent on the matter. There has been a lot of talk in both Mormon and Protestant circles on the matter. The official LDS position is that: 1)we don't know, and 2) it's not important to our salvation (which was the entire point of Christ's earthly mission).

This is a little more concrete. The Scriptures (both Protestant and Mormon) are very clear that if we are faithful and endure to the end, that we can become joint heirs in the Kingdom of God with Christ- and by extension inherit all that the Father has. Logically, that would eventually include a similiar degree of wisdom, enlightment, and power. That does not for a moment suggest that we will ever supplant or replace God himself.

We expect that as husband and wives for all eternity, and upon keeping the fulness of God's commandments, that we will in turn have an increase, just as Heavenly Father did. The exact mechanic of this is subject to a lot of ill-informed speculation, and as typified by your phrasing of the question, inflammatory rhetoric. Frankly, we just don't know much beyond what I've told you. We expect that we will have spirit children and will follow the pattern set for us as joint heirs in the Kingdom of God.

Again, there is a lot of speculation on this front- most of it wholly ignorant. The LDS position is that God is eternal, and has always been God. We also believe that this does not preclude a mortal ministry such as Christ had (remember, for 33 years Christ was mortal without giving up being God). There are those who beleive that Heavenly Father endured a period of mortality, in which he abided by the same laws, suffered the same weaknesses, and was tempted just as we are. The difference is, like his only begotten, he triumphed whereas we have failed and must be redeemed.

Clearly, most of these questions were put to you in such a way as to inflame passions, inspire bigotry, and foreclose on thoughtful conversation rather than to encourage it.

Such contention and close-mindedness is not Christ-like and cannot serve his ministry. If I may be so bold, I might suggest that you look at your sources carefully and determine whether they are trying to inspire honest inquiry or shock and alienate.

Very well stated!

debildo,

You may find selek's answers to be very ambiguous, as I did. He very correctly stated the LDS position at this time. However, this position has been different in the past. Please do your own research, including the positions and expressed doctrine of many past leaders (including the prophets Joseph Smith and Brigham Young). You should feel free to read from both pro and "anti" sources as truth does not change. However to paraphrase a recent LDS leader, some things that are true are not useful. (not sure why, I have always found truth (viewed from both sides of a position) to be useful...)

Because of the LDS view that the prophet often speaks as a man, it must be up to the individual to determine what is true and that is a result of a personal relationship between yourself and the Heavenly Father.

Good luck!!

For a sec, because of your tone, I thought I was on the other board. I actually had to double check ;)

~Kate

I'm surprised this is the first you've heard of these things that we supposedly believe in.

We don't believe God and Mary had relations and it makes me cringe when people actually ask it. We believe that Heavenly Father is the literal Father of Jesus Christ - how exactly He was conceived is not known and probably beyond our understanding.

Jesus was always God.

Not doctrine

We believe we will be made perfect through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, glorifying our Heavenly Father and doing His work - as Selek mentioned, we are joint heirs with Christ. We will always worship Heavenly Father. The way I look at it is when we become like Him, it brings Him joy.

There is no doctrine about women being pregnant for eternity. We do believe marriage and family is eternal and that we will have the opportunity to continue our family, but "pregnant for eternity" is misleading.

I believe He has always been God just like Jesus. :)

Guest moreholinessgiveme

I have my own personal thoughts on this, which I don't care to share. This is such a sacred topic. What is more important is that knowledge that He was the Son of God, that having a Heavenly Father (immortal) and mortal mother was crucial to the successful completion of His mission. He needed to be "able to die" while also having the power to hold death at bay indefinitely. No "mere mortal" could have ever done what Christ did. We often "forget" that Christ used this power over death to voluntarily, and quite literally, take our sins upon Him, and suffer beyond our ability to comprehend, and certainly beyond our ability to endure.

I spoke with Him this morning, so I'd say, yes. Any time you feel the influence of the Holy Ghost, that is the voice of Jesus Christ speaking to you.

He was our perfect example in ALL THINGS, specifically, the path to exaltation. He Himself teaches that we must be married couples, sealed for eternity, to dwell with Him and Father. Seems obvious He got married at some point. In the grand scheme of things, it's not crucial for my salvation to know the details of when and where.

Yes, that is what this is ALL about down here on earth.

Yes, much the same as here. Both men and women, together, are critical to the populating of these planets.

Keep in mind, being "pregnant" here in mortality and being "pregnant" as an exalted, immortal woman, will be much different. We are promised a FULLNESS OF JOY, both men and women. I don't know how it WILL be, but I know it WON'T BE this horrible, miserable suffering for 9 months, like it is now.

Yes.

Good luck on your search for truth. Jesus loves you and will not let you down.

well again thankyou for your time in answering my questions. yes this is the first time i have heard this things as when my friends from the mormon church visit me they have never said "ok, here you go here's a list on where we stand doctrinally" they have let me do all the talking and answered my questions honestly. however upon digging deeper i have come upon these questions.

now if these things that have been talked about are the view of the church then i will not be part of that church simply because some of the things talked about i simply dont agree with. as the bible tells me other wise.

some of you have been honest and said what they think of my questions but at the begginnig no one would give me a straight answer.

i do not believe God had to earn His status. He is the beginnig and the end the alpha and the omega . to say he had to earn it means He is not the beginning.

i do not believe we will be gods, again God said there was no God before Him and there shall be non after Him.

to say jesus was married ...well ok i dont no 100 %, but i personally dont think He was because if he was i think the bible would of told us plainly and also because of the questions he and his disciples had about marrage and how it would be a lot easier to do the lords work if you were single, but it is ok to take A wife.

which brings me to you saying its ok to have more than one wife as the rabbi in those times would have done.......but jesus wasnt just another rabbi He was the messiah, holy one he was not like the rest of poeple on earth at that time so to compare him to an earthly being i think is wrong.

jesus was in the beginnig with God as john chapter 1 states , i believe that God the father God the son and God the spirit were together at the creation of the earth.

i do not believe we will be married in heaven as the bible says in luke if im correct that no one shall be married or given in marriage.

i understand there is room for dicussion and debate on a whole load of topics in the bible however i would feel comfortable if the church i was attending or about to attend knew where it stood on such matters.

for instance if i answered all your questions about my church and you became a member but then i told you that every sunday you have to wear bright pink (even your underpants) as this is what we as a church have decided is what God wants, you would feel a little bit silly and probably even mad, because a)you think this is silly and B) because no one told you this before you joined.

i hope you understand my point, these are my personal beliefs only, and i respect you for having yours. however i want to know where a church stands bibcally and doctrinally before i join it , and for me if it is even contemplating any of the above then for me its the wrong church.

i thankyou again and my intetion is not to offend any one so i hope i havnt. its just for me weather we no the answers or not they are really big topics and i need to know where a church stands on them before i join it. :D

I am glad you are curious, but I wonder if you have taken your questions to Heavenly Father as he is ultimately the one who knows all. Take some time in earnest prayer to know the truth of all things and he will reveal it unto you. Remember the scripture in Isaiah 28:

9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Know that the Lord loves you and wants you to gain knowledge but a man is not required to run faster then he is able. All things will be made known to us in due time and God's ways are not men's ways. These things that may seem almost abhorent to us today will be one day understood. We cannot comprehend the things that God comprehends and he doesn't expect us to. If we understand the basics of the plan of salvation then these questions honestly don't matter as they will sort themselves out after this life.

May God be with you in your quest for truth.

well again thankyou for your time in answering my questions. <snip> i thankyou again and my intetion is not to offend any one so i hope i havnt. its just for me weather we no the answers or not they are really big topics and i need to know where a church stands on them before i join it. :D

Okay. God be with you!

HiJolly

I do not believe God had sex with Mary. Salek said it best.

Was Jesus created? Well THis is a tough one to say. In the book of Abraham in the PoGP it says that our spirits are eternal. They exsisted before they shall exsist after. Since eternity is a pretty complex thing to wrap your head around, it is tough to understand. Consider Rev 3:14

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

It would seem to suggest that All of us were created at on point.

The scriptures are silent on the matter if Jesus was married. There has been much speculation both from LDS and Prodistent.

Do we think we will become gods when we die? You would need to consider what exaltaion is. Becoming like God is not some automatic privlige. Consider many scriptures that point to this. Rev 3:21

21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

I think this is pretty straight forward. Also consider Psalms 82:6

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Again this is pretty straight forward.

As far as women becoming pregnant and populating planets that is pure speculation. We do not know what all it means to have slavation or exaltation. We just know we eill be like God.

As far as God "earning" his status that has been speculated upon much as well. The only thing we know is that Jesus has done nothing save he saw the Father do it. Consider John 5:19

19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

So the question arises: what has the Son done. That which he seeth the Father do. What has the Father done? WEll that goes back to the Son. Jesus came to this earth and atoned for our sins. He did that becuase he saw the Father do it. So no Jesus and God did not "earn" thier godhood.

Please understand that these are some what deep and I didnt go into great lenght in some of them simply becuase we do not know. Some people have offered opinion on them. But opinion does not constitue doctrine. Hope this helps.

Hello debllo...

I can appreciate your trying to find answers... I would agree with those who suggest and encourage you to ask specifically in prayer to know whether these things ... and I think Selek gave a very good explanation... are true.

One comment... many protestants say that "the Bible says there will be no marriage in heaven." Actually, what the Bible says is that in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage (Matt 22:30). Because of the restored gospel and revelation, we understand this to mean that marriage is an ordinance to be performed here, under proper authority, and sealed here and in heaven (Matt 16:19).

Now, I've just touched on this... it is something you can study further if you choose... there are many articles available through FAIRlds.org and its Topical Guide (numerous subjects of LDS doctrine). I for one encourage you not to simply dismiss the LDS Church because at first glance something doesn't seem to agree with your current beliefs... before you do that, I hope you'll do a little more serious study...

I have been widowed for almost 9 years... it gives me great comfort and joy to know that my dear love, my husband, and I will walk side by side together and continue our journey through eternity...

All good wishes...

The Garden Girl

I don’t know the whole situation here. It sounds like you are meeting with the missionaries and have a book of mormon. You have to realize everybody that is mormon had to start with the Book of Mormon. We each had to come to a point in our life where we had to find out for ourselves if the Book of Mormon is true and if Joseph Smith Saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. This is what our church is founded upon. Once this foundation is set, it leads to knew knowledge and understand of the Plan of Salvation. The problem is you want to build a knowledge of a church way to fast then really possible. Keep this in mind as I try to answer the questions at had.

i do not believe God had to earn His status. He is the beginnig and the end the alpha and the omega . to say he had to earn it means He is not the beginning.

This can get pretty deep. IN the LDS religion we believe that each of us had an “intelligence” before we were spiritually created. This “intelligence” has always existed. We really don’t know what this really is, except that it helps us grow closer to God and grow in light and truth. Because we believe there is this part of us that has always existed we all have part of us that didn’t have a begging and didn’t have an end. We also believe that God has this also. But to say he was created? We simply don’t know.

i do not believe we will be gods, again God said there was no God before Him and there shall be non after Him.

Again this is kind of tuff. I understand your point of view. The point of the scripture you sited was more of who we worship. For me, and everybody on this earth there well always be just One God that I well worship, my Heavenly Father. But because he is my spiritual Father, he wants the best for me. He even wants me to be partakers of his glory. We really do believe Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

We believe the biggest reason why Christ came to this earth, and why the Atonement was needed was so we could return to our Heavenly Father, and enjoy glory together (with Christ). This does not downplay God/Heavenly Father in any way. I will always look to God for who He is and what he has done. (and he well always be my Heavenly Father). It shows God’s perfect love for me, that he wants me to be the best I truly can be, even to be like him. Because I am his heir I can’t gain all that he has.

to say jesus was married ...

I haven’t seen anything from the LDS church’s position if Christ was married or not. My OWN PERSONAL belief is that Christ was married.

i do not believe we will be married in heaven as the bible says in luke if im correct that no one shall be married or given in marriage.

Like others have said this was talking about in the resurrection. Let me just explain the teaching of the LDS church. It really starts from this scripture found in Matthew 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

We believe that the apostles where given this power to bind on earth and in heaven. We in the LDS church believe this same power was restored again on the earth in our day. That what ever is preformed by the power of the priesthood is bound in heaven just as it is on earth. We believe this is true for Baptism, and even getting the Priesthood. That if is done by this Sealing power (this is what we call it) that it well be bound in the Heavens. This same thing holds true for Marriage. When a marriage is preformed by the Sealing power (that Christ explained in Matthew) that the Marriage well be bound in heaven. In the LDS church we called this being married for Time and all Eternity.

They way we look at it (and you can agree or disagree with this) is that When Adam and Eve where Married in the Garden of Eden there was no death. That married was meant to last beyond the grave. The point of coming to this earth is not for God to raise Children, but for God to Raise parents. I find this the greatest gift God can give us. That nothing ends at death! That this life is a continuation of what comes next. If you are talking the discussions with the missionaries then you well get this lesson soon.

i understand there is room for dicussion and debate on a whole load of topics in the bible however i would feel comfortable if the church i was attending or about to attend knew where it stood on such matters.

I can see where you are coming from, but you have to understand where we are coming from also. We don’t believe the Bible is all there is to say on Religion and what God wants of us. We believe that there is more revelation and scripture given to us (the world) in our day. We believe the Bible is one of the witnesses to the truth of what God has taught. But there is also other Witnesses, one being the Book of Mormon. What we ask is that you read the book of mormon with a open heart. See if there is more out that that God has to reveal and teach us! Once all the witnesses are put together, then we can come to see the joy of the Gospel that God has for us!

i hear of these other books "pearl of great price" and "d&c" ?? where can i get these books?

The D&C stands for Doctrine and Covenants. This is a book full of Revelations given to early leaders of the church (Mostly Joseph Smith). It shows how little by little God revealed added knowledge on how to form the church on the earth again.

Pearl of Great Price- is a great book. More added insight from the bible and other things Joseph Smith was able to translate.

You could get these books, but right now I think they would just add to your overwhelmness (I don’t think that is a word). Start with the Book of Mormon! Read it! Read it! Read it! Pray about it! When you start to feel what the book of mormon has to offer then talk to your “Mormon friends” and get a D&C. Deal!

hi again. your right i have been taught that things are black and white in the bible that there are no maybe's or what ifs. i realise that being taught this i too have limited God. i am excited in what i am learning but every now and then somthing come s up that i cant get my had around and i start to doubt.

any way the sister's that came to visit explained most of the above . i understand now about how we can all become like God because a) He tells us to become like Him. now thats not going to happen here on earth but it is possible. B) the bible say's we will be JOINT heirs with Him. pretty self explanatory hey ;)

i still dont know if jesus was married as the bible just doesnt say, i personally dont think He was. but as i keep being told is that important for my eternal salvation?

i now understand about marraige in heaven. and i was taught just last week in my church about Peter being given the "keys" so i guess now those keys have been passed on to todays prophets. and your right God married Adam and Eve with the idea that they would be forever.

i still dont understand about God coming from God but again i dont spose that is important right now , and i will find out when i reach heaven.

i found a verse in the bible that i am really excited about and would just like to share it with you (even though you know it already) isaiah 29:11, just more confirmation for me :D

Hello. I've been doing some research as well into this issue. Here are some quotes from Mormon leaders I have found regarding this question in particular.

"I will prove that the world is wrong, by showing what God is...God himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.345)

"God himself...is a man like unto one of yourselves...God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth...You have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves" (Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol.5, pp.613-614)

"Here then is eternal life---to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves...the same as all Gods have done before you...To inherit the same power, the same glory and the same exaltation, until you arrive at the station of a God" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.346-347)

"He [God] ...was once a man in mortal flesh as we are, and is now an exalted being...It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God was once been a finite being" (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol.7, p.333)

"as the Prophet [Joseph Smith] also taught, 'there is a God above the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ'" (Bruce McConkieMormon Doctrine, p.322, 1966)

It also appears that Mormons believe that Adam was God.

"How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which I have revealed to them, and which God revealed to me...namely that Adam is our Father and God...Our Father Adam is the man who stands at the gate and holds the keys to everlasting life and salvation to all his children who have or ever will come upon the earth" (Brigham Young, Deseret News, June 18, 1873)

"The doctrine preached by [President] Young for a few years back wherein he says that Adam is our God---the God we worship--- most of the people believe it...if the President makes a statement it is not our prerogative to dispute it...when I first heard the doctrine of Adam being our Father and God, I was favorably impressed---enjoyed and hailed it as a new Revelation" (A.F. McDonald, Minutes of the School of Prophets, Provo, UT, 1868-1871, p.38-39)

However, Mormons have recently denied this.

"We warn you against the dissemination of doctrines which are not according to the scriptures and which are alleged to have been taught by some of the General Authorities of past generations. Such, for instance, is the Adam-God theory. We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine"(Spencer Kimball, Church News, October 9, 1976)

"Brigham Young erred in some of his statements on the nature and kind of being that God is and as to the position of Adam in the plan of salvation...what he did is not a pattern for any of us. If we choose to believe and teach the false portions of his doctrines, we are making an election that will damn us" (Bruce McConkie, letter to Eugene England dated Feb. 19, 1981)

Orson Pratt (LDS apostle) stated: "the great Messiah who was the founder of the Christian religion, was a polygamist...marrying many honorable wives himself…God the Father had a plurality of wives…the Son followed the example of his Father…both God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ inherit their wives in eternity as well as in time" (The Seer, p.172, 1853)

Jedediah M. Grant (second counselor to Brigham Young) stated: "the burst of public sentiment in anathemas upon Christ and his disciples, causing his crucifixion, was evidently based on polygamy…a belief of a plurality of wives caused the persecution of Jesus and his followers" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, p.346)

"…Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee... Mary, Martha, and others were his wives ... he begat children" (Apostle Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p.210)

Thought this might help you get a better idea of the Mormon church.

I have to question the integrity of anyone who quotes the Seer when the Church has officially condemned it and Orson Pratt was nearly excommunicated for what he wrote in it.

Note the elipses, have to cut out parts that arent in context.

Note the fact that scriptures arent even touched. Why? because they refute this nonsense.

Hello. I've been doing some research as well into this issue. Here are some quotes from Mormon leaders I have found regarding this question in particular.

"I will prove that the world is wrong, by showing what God is...God himself was once as we are now and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.345)

"God himself...is a man like unto one of yourselves...God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth...You have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves" (Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol.5, pp.613-614)

"Here then is eternal life---to know the only wise and true God; and you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves...the same as all Gods have done before you...To inherit the same power, the same glory and the same exaltation, until you arrive at the station of a God" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p.346-347)

"He [God] ...was once a man in mortal flesh as we are, and is now an exalted being...It appears ridiculous to the world, under their darkened and erroneous traditions, that God was once been a finite being" (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol.7, p.333)

"as the Prophet [Joseph Smith] also taught, 'there is a God above the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ'" (Bruce McConkieMormon Doctrine, p.322, 1966)

"How much unbelief exists in the minds of the Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which I have revealed to them, and which God revealed to me...namely that Adam is our Father and God...Our Father Adam is the man who stands at the gate and holds the keys to everlasting life and salvation to all his children who have or ever will come upon the earth" (Brigham Young, Deseret News, June 18, 1873)

"The doctrine preached by [President] Young for a few years back wherein he says that Adam is our God---the God we worship--- most of the people believe it...if the President makes a statement it is not our prerogative to dispute it...when I first heard the doctrine of Adam being our Father and God, I was favorably impressed---enjoyed and hailed it as a new Revelation" (A.F. McDonald, Minutes of the School of Prophets, Provo, UT, 1868-1871, p.38-39)

"We warn you against the dissemination of doctrines which are not according to the scriptures and which are alleged to have been taught by some of the General Authorities of past generations. Such, for instance, is the Adam-God theory. We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine"(Spencer Kimball, Church News, October 9, 1976)

"Brigham Young erred in some of his statements on the nature and kind of being that God is and as to the position of Adam in the plan of salvation...what he did is not a pattern for any of us. If we choose to believe and teach the false portions of his doctrines, we are making an election that will damn us" (Bruce McConkie, letter to Eugene England dated Feb. 19, 1981)

Orson Pratt (LDS apostle) stated: "the great Messiah who was the founder of the Christian religion, was a polygamist...marrying many honorable wives himself…God the Father had a plurality of wives…the Son followed the example of his Father…both God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ inherit their wives in eternity as well as in time" (The Seer, p.172, 1853)

Jedediah M. Grant (second counselor to Brigham Young) stated: "the burst of public sentiment in anathemas upon Christ and his disciples, causing his crucifixion, was evidently based on polygamy…a belief of a plurality of wives caused the persecution of Jesus and his followers" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, p.346)

"…Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee... Mary, Martha, and others were his wives ... he begat children" (Apostle Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p.210)

No actually reading the Book of Mormon might help you get a better understanding of the Mormon church. Um and maybe going to visit an LDS service. Hmmm but those things wouldn't be quite as fun as dragging up old quotes that don't make any sense. Reading snippets from what church leaders in the past have said will just confuse you more because like I said earlier you can't have the meat before the milk.

So, are those snippets untrue? Or, are they taken out of context? Can you provide the context to better explain these quotes?

Follower- those snippets are out of context, or not endorsed by the Church as canon, or flatly denounced by the Church- as you yourself noted.

Your innocent act is wearing thin- it is highly improbable that you could have drug these quotes from the obscure reaches of Mormondom without any idea of their standing and acceptance.

Your attempt to portay these quotes as conveying the official position of the Church is dishonest, and not in keeping with the behavior of a true follower of Christ.

This will be your final warning.

This site is for congenial discussion of Mormon beleifs- it is not for propogandizing nor for proselyting.

If you wish to spread falsehoods, you may do so elsewhere.

One more thing- I noticed that you've been editting your posts to do away with the direct corrections you've received from the mods.

One more strike, and you're gone.

any way the sister's that came to visit explained most of the above .

Good! I think you well see that asking (and getting answers) in person is actually a lot easier then trying to do it over a message board.

i still dont know if jesus was married as the bible just doesnt say, i personally dont think He was. but as i keep being told is that important for my eternal salvation?

Its not. I don’t know of anything specify in the bible that says that. Its just from the LDS point of view, you well see how much we value that idea of Eternal Marriage. We kind of take that idea and feel that Christ would do the same. But it is all just speculation when it comes to this matter. For me I believe the Wedding feast that Christ turned the Water into wine was probably his own wedding, but again that is just my own view and not the churches.

Peter being given the "keys" so i guess now those keys have been passed on to todays prophets

Yes exactly! And you are even seeing the reason why having a prophet on the earth in our day is so valuable.

i still dont understand about God coming from God but again i dont spose that is important right now , and i will find out when i reach heaven.

There are a lot of things that God does that I don’t think us mortals would or able to understand. There are a lot more we well learn after this life!

Really!! What made you want to “research” this subject? How did you conduct this so called “research”? Did your “research” include the Book of Mormon D&C and Pearl of Great price because I don’t see any “research” done in those areas? You must have a lot of old Mormon Books to be able to do this kind of “research”????

This has been missed quoted and re-shaped so many times. If you would have done your “research” you would have found this scripture in the D&C 107:54-55 In a revelation given to Joseph Smith, he saw (in a vision) a meeting Adam had with all his posterity. This is part of what happen:

54 And the Lord appeared unto them, and they rose up and blessed Adam, and called him Michael, the prince, the archangel.

55 And the Lord administered comfort unto Adam, and said unto him: I have set thee to be at the head; a multitude of nations shall come of thee, and thou art a prince over them forever.

So if you understand this scripture, then you also well understand how Adam to some extent is the Prince over us. He was the first man? But others confuse this idea and what Brigham Young taught to mean something completely different because they haven’t done enough “Research”

I suggest your research is taking you in the wrong direction.

Still using that extensive Mormon Library of yours Follower? For someone who claims to not have the time to study..."every religion uder heaven..." you seem to spend a considerable ammount of time doing original research...and seem to posess and a great library on the subject of Mormonism...Interestingly enough, you quote things in the exact same way as Anti-Mormon writers do, which is to say that you use elipses in the exact same spots, and quote in such a way to serve your point without regard to context...YOu use half truths, misquoted sentences(deliberately misquoted by the way). If God were inspiring men in love to bring people out of a cult, he would use truth (in its purity) to do it, not by using the methods that anti-writers use and that you by extension(since you are using their books and arguments) are also doing...You refuse to cite your source for your quote...Which I contend, is not the sources your citing...You do not have the Journal of Discourses, The Seer, The Church news, McDonald, Minutes of the School of Prophets, Provo, UT, 1868-1871, p.38-39), Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith (particularly retarded use of elipses on that quote by the way...since most Mormons, including me, have this book and can read "The King Folet discourse" in its fullness and in context...great speech by the way...you should read the whole thing and then you might actually understand the Mormon viewpoint on the subject) and I doubt you even have a copy of Mormon Doctrine even though it is a common enough book...I have pointed out to you before that it is not an authoritative source for Mormon thought since Bruce R McKonkie was not an apostle at the time he wrote it and it represents his opinions, not doctrine...the fact that you continue to use it as a source, despite this, shows that you are either ignorant of true scholarship, or you are blatently ignoring the truth in order to find support for your arguments, (although they are not really your arguments since you are simply parroting and regergitating the arguments of someone else)...You continue to cite sources which you yourself have not examined...instead you are using either an anti-mormon book, or website as a source for your quotes (which you do not identify) even though it has been pointed out to you many times that the quotes are being taken out of context...this is dishonest and puts you in the same class or category as Anti-Mormon writers who also borrow from eachother...Just so you know...The word "devil" means "slanderer or "spoiler"...If I were you, I would do your best not to emulate that particular attribute...