Hi kona0197,

As a long-term investigator (as you may already be aware), at a minimum, a newly baptized member must wait a year to go to the temple for an endowment. Remember that this is a minimum of one year; Some members wait many years to go. And, although all members are invited and strongly encouraged to attend the temple for their endowment, the ultimate decision to attend the temple is a personal choice. Some members decide not to. It is not a requirement enforced by the church.

If one decides to get their endowments though, they go to the temple and make additional covenants (or promises) to God that they will live a Christ-like life. It's really as simple as that.

For further reading, here are two wonderful articles about attending the temple and about temple garments: Russell M. Nelson, “Personal Preparation for Temple Blessings,” Liahona, Jul 2001, 37–40 and Carlos E. Asay, “The Temple Garment: ‘An Outward Expression of an Inward Commitment’,” Liahona, Sep 1999, 33.

If you attend church, you may also be able to get a lot of questions answered by attending a Temple Preparation Sunday School class. You can ask your Sunday School President or Bishop for details.

Kind Regards,

LatterDaySaint

Hi again,

I was talking to a friend and he knew a fair amount about the Mormon religion. Something he said disturbed me even greater than the wearing of garments...I find this hard to understand as well.

I must say that your friend is deeply misinformed. Nothing immoral, unholy, or unethical occurs in the temple. Having gone through the initiatory myself (many times), I can state in all honesty that it is not as he has described.

Kind Regards,

LatterDaySaint

My friend said that the general authorities go through some very strange ordinances.

My question would be:

When was your friend ordained a General Authority in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints??

Unless he, himself, has been ordained to this office, I sincerely doubt he knows ANYTHING about how the process is done!!

Silver Girl

:rolleyes:

The other day I was talking to my neighbor lady and she said something to me about wearing a garment that goes to her knees and I didnt think any thing of it because quite a few women in that age group wear things fro control and vericose veins and such. is this the garment that you are speaking of? and if it is then why do people where it? Well I guess I mean why does God ask people to where it?

http://deseretbook.com/store/product?produ...amp;sku=3706769

I suggest you all read this book. It answers many questions that you all may have about the temple and the temple garment and other apects of LDS culture. When we go to the temple we covenant to wear our temple garments at all times except in cases where it is not appropriate or exposes them to persons that would not respect their significance. I will answer a few questions about the temple garment however I ask that we all please stay away from discussing them in detail since this is not the proper place to discuss such sacred things.

1. Yes both the men and woman’s garment comes down to the knees and the top is like a sleeved camisole for woman and for men it’s like any undershirt.

2. There are different materials used but the styles are pretty much the same.

3. We are asked to wear them as daily reminders of the higher covenants we have taken upon ourselves in the temple.

4. We are told if we faithfully wear them they are to protect us from evil. (Whatever that means who knows there are tons of urban legends about temple garments out there, I doubt most of them are true and I do not want to find out if they are bullet proof)

5. They have marks on them that have special meanings that you will learn in the temple.

Hi there!

Great answers and information given here.

In regards to your friend's comments, perhaps he was speaking of the ordinance of 'washing the feet', as Christ also administered to His disciples... you may read this account in the New Testament. This took place at the passover feast where He also administered the ordinance of the 'Sacrament'. This took place immediately prior to Him going into the Garden of Gethsemane, then convicted without cause and sentenced to be crucified on the cross... which is the process that was 'The Atonement'. In all of these things, Jesus Christ did fulfill prophecy...

Many people find the ordinances of the Gospel quite strange, due to their lack of education and understanding of their sacred symbolism and the covenants that are involved in receiving these ordinances. Interesting that these ordinances are not recognized from where, when, how or why they are done in such ways as seem so strange. But upon studying the Old Testament, an individual can easily find and see, just what these ordinances symbolize, why they are done, and 'whom' they pointed towards. So in brief, the ordinances are a witness to that which has been done before...

Since God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, these eternal ordinances or this 'order' of how individuals come unto Christ bear witness of Him and His laws. God is law and He governs by His laws. Those who desire to come unto Him, must do this by submitting themselves to His Laws and ordiances. He said - Follow Me.

He submitted His will to the will of His Father and by so doing wrought the Atonement. He asks us 'to do the works' that He also did, that we too might have claim upon that which He Won - Victory over death/immortality and Eternal Life or Exaltation, and on our behalf.

He has given to all men eternal life/immortality, through overcoming death and in bringing about the resurrection. Every soul who has come to this earth, was given this assurance prior to their coming -- and this IMO must have been done by covenant. As we know that Jesus Christ was foreordained from the 'foundations' of the world. Thus our trust in Him enabled us to, with confidence, be separated from our Heavenly Father, which brings about His Eternal Plan for His children to become like Him. Without the atonement, we would all be lost forever due to the consequences of the Fall, suffering death and sin in the mortal body - never able to be cleansed, restored and returned to His presence.

Jesus Christ while here in mortality confirmed the LAW, that He IS, by submitting to baptism through John the Baptist. John the Baptist was the ONLY ONE who was authorized to baptize, and this was because of the Priesthood that He legally and lawfully was endowed with by His lineal birth.

I realize this is a long explanation as to ordinances , their importance and understanding. But think of the 'ordinance' of baptism? It is quite strange to take a person and hold them in a peculiar way, and then dunk them... if every part of their body is not immersed under the water, it must be done again. This is also witnessed by two others, not including the one that is performing the baptism.

Now, what is the symbolism in this 'funny' outward action that one participates in, so that they may become, by covenant, a member of The Kingdom of God, where Jesus Christ is ruler and king. (with laws of citizenship) Once baptized, a person is now a citizen or member of The Church of Jesus Christ (of latter-day-saints, in our day) and 'subject' unto the laws of that Kingdom.

Baptism has many symbols. A few of the most widely accepted are that it represents going from our spiritually dead state, as we are in mortality, and in being buried, or immersed... the old self dies and goes into the grave or water, completely -- and in going down into the water, the soul is cleansed... in coming up out of the waters of baptism, we are 'born again' unto a new life. This is in similitude of Jesus Christ and His death, and resurrection on our behalf, that we may enter His Kingdom and partake of these gifts. We then witness unto those in attendance, that we have followed the Savior physically in this outward symbolic act, but also spiritually as we make promises through that which the ordinance represents.

Also of interest, the number three is a symbol of a covenant. At the birth of Jesus Christ, John the Baptist, The voice of the Father is recorded and also that witness of the dove or sign of the Holy Ghost. Three individuals were involved with confirming this action as a covenant. Also Jesus Christ was three days in the tomb... but you will see the number three in many places when promises and covenants are made. This is a law of Heaven -- the law of witnesses.

Jesus Christ set the example for all to follow... Baptism by immersion, and done by one having authority given Him by God. This must be witnesses and recorded so that it may be a legal and lawful proof of membership in the Kingdom of God. Now one is accountable unto God, His servants and His Laws which they administer on His behalf.

Jesus Christ said that He was the Light and Life of the World, and that NO man COMES UNTO THE FATHER, but by ME. It is through the process of receiving covenants, through the ordinances of His Gospel IN His Name, that anyone Comes Unto Christ. He has not changed one whit, in how He brings us unto God. His work has been restored in these latter days, in preparation for His second coming. He prophesied a necessary refreshing of times in the latter days. Why, because He also prophesied of those who would come in and corrupt His work, after His death.

If you look to the Bible, you will find all of these evidences clearly taught -- and now they have and are being fulfilled as was foretold from the very beginning of time. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints should be of no mystery to the honest seeker of truth, who will but just LOOK.

Yes, ordinances seem very strange to those without faith. Also see the story of Elisha and how his servant, not him, told Naaman to dip, was it seven times, in a most filthy body of water, in 'order' that he would be then clean? Weird requirement to become clean, but so much symbolism in submitting to 'authorized' authority, even when we do not understand the WHY it is this way, etc...

God is able to bless us by our keeping His Laws... therefore He enacts Law by which we must abide. Only the truly humble, will abide such interesting request, and because they are only spiritually discerned, it is the humble that understand.

The number seven is symbolic of complete or finished. Naaman was required to dip seven times so that he would show his humility and that he could be completely cleansed of his leprosy. Cool huh? But was it the actual dipping that cleansed him from his leprosy?

So in all of the ordinances that we are blessed to receive, (or commandments that he requires) it is only by 'our' humble submission that we are blessed with His presence and influence in our lives, unto Salvation through Him.

Now, we receive the sacred 'garment' through an ordinance and covenant, as part of the Temple Endowment. They are a gift, with promised blessings to those who keep their covenants.

Please see this link for further information on the garment. It is quite useful. The site is not an official church site, but is well done and should answer many of your questions and as well give you background that may help in understanding the significant of the garment symbolism... yesterday, today and forever.

Mormon-Underwear :o

tdmg,

gVr

Again, sorry for the epistle, but I do hope this helps somewhat...

<<snip>>

4. We are told if we faithfully wear them they are to protect us from evil. I take it to mean spiritual evil and to stop us from carnal evil, rather than physical-materialistic evil. No they are not bullet proof or knife proof. The latter I can attest to. Was cutting cardboard boxes up with a box cutter and the cutter slipped and sliced my leg. Went through the jeans, my garments and into my leg. OUCH was one of the nicer words I used. Thank heavens I didn't have to have stitches. The Dr glued and taped my leg up. (Whatever that means who knows there are tons of urban legends about temple garments out there, I doubt most of them are true and I do not want to find out if they are bullet proof)

Iggy & QP,

I know how it is with all the faith promoting rumors -- but I'll share this one since I saw it myself.

My stepdad was a welder at a ranch. One day he was cutting the tops off of old 55 gallon drums, and one of them had some gasoline still in it -- it exploded out the cut, which set his upper torso and head on fire. He had heavy worker's clothing on as a matter of course (being a welder, his shirt was very thick). When I went to the hospital, and later as he was recovering, it was easy to see where the burn was-- and where it wasn't. About 3/4 of his face, all of his neck, and a nice "smile" on his upper chest - no burn where the garments were. His farmer's tan on the upper arms was the same way. It was the garment line, not the shirt line, where his flesh had not burned.

For what it's worth.

HiJolly

Hello cheri...

About garments... garments are sacred reminders of covenants we have made with our Heavenly Father in the temple...to us they represent part of our "spiritual armor"... they are not to control varicose veins, or any other purpose. Most women prefer the 2-piece type, featuring a top with a small cap sleeve... and a bottom that can be just above the knee or mid calf. Garments come in several different materials, including one for servicemen.

The Church has put out a beautiful booklet titled "Temples of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints." It is full color with pictures of exterior and interior of many of our temples, including my Portland OR temple. The booklet provides articles on the history, purpose, doctrines surrounding our temples, and on the temple garment. Copies of this lovely and helpful booklet, which includes "Commonly Asked Questions" is available from any Deseret Bookstore or Church Distribution Center, and can be ordered online I'm sure. It is inexpensive. They may even have a copy available online. I would suggest you get a copy. (Note: I was just scrolling down and noticed that QuorumPrez gave a link to Deseret Book... I'll have to check and see what he is linking).

The Garden Girl

Well I know I would never wear the garment to sleep in. I wouldn't wear it in the Summer time when I wear shorts all day. I can't wear one garment all day.

I really don't think we need to wear a garment to understand or keep the promises we made in the Temple.

Sounds like a cult tactic to me.

The Church asks too much of us.

To wearing garments, I think of it this way its a way to be modest. My garments are very soft and there fore enjoy having the material against my body. Of course you don't wear garments all the time. I read somewhere in anti-lds church stuff that people also bathe with them. No that is just too stupid. I never wore them while swimming or wearing my bathing suit. Even if you did wear them with shorts you do know that people wear longer shorts that cover the garment. Have you ever heard of peoples testimonies of wearing the garments. I have one which you can believe or not. One day I was outside gardening on an over-cast day I was in my bathing suit and got burnt on my back. I didn't realize how painful until that night when I tried to work with it (the burn) of course it was very painful and it hurt the more I put something over it (material). I could only get some relief from using cold cream for burns I still don't remember at what degree I was burnt but I do believe it was pretty high. The next day I decided to fore go the thought that any material against the burnt would put me in extreme agony and put on my garments and you know what happened I never physically felt the pain. People may say that its mind over matter but when one feels real pain and tries not to think about it and trust me thats very hard to do and I have tried many times and still the pain wins. But I will always remember the garments and what I believe the material did for me that day.

My friend said that the general authorities go through some very strange ordinances.

like latterdaysaint said your friend is saddly misinformed! the general authorities go through the same ordinances as all other members do. And their garments too are the same color (white as in the color of purity) as the members do. the garments only change color if you decide to add your whites with colors. (hello) :blink:

After what everyone has said I still think my first comment was the one I'm sticking to.

I can't wear a garment just because a religion says I must.

I still think it's a way the Church controls people.

Thank you for playing, Kona.

You have no idea what you're talking about, and your sneering has gotten tiresome.

We wear garments as physical reminders of our covenants with God. They are no different in practice than the priestly vestments worn by the faithful members of other faiths.

Your insinuations about cults, controlling people, and the rest are merely the same tired, trite, bloviations we see from anti-Mormons with annoying regularity.

You have flatly ignored the answers you have been given in favor of pursuing your agenda, and you may now pursue it elsewhere.

These boards are NOT to be used to insult or belittle the LDS faith or faithful.

Honos