Celestial Kingdom

kona0197

If I understand Mormon teachings correctly then there are three levels of heaven.

My question is this: If I don't know what it feels like to be in the highest kingdom why bother trying to get there? I would settle with the lowest kingdom as long as I don't end up in whatever hell Mormons believe in. Coming in second place is better than nothing.

While on the subject of hell why don't Mormons believe in an actuall lake of hellfire? The NT talks about it all the time...

While on the subject of hell why don't Mormons believe in an actuall lake of hellfire? The New Testament talks about it all the time...

Those who rebel against God will suffer for their own sins if they do not accept Jesus Christ's atonement. Once they pay the penalty for their own sins to the demands of justice, they will wait or suffer until the resurrection of the unjust. They will then be shut out of the presence of God and dwell in the telestial kingdom glory.

Edit: The telestial kingdom is the lowest degree of glory. Its glory is likened unto the glory of the stars.

As the Apostle Paul taught in I Corinthians chapter 15 (King James Version):

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

The celestial kingdom is compared to the light of the sun and the terrestrial kingdom is compared to the light of the moon.

To begin to understand what happens after judgment, read Doctrine and Covenants section 76

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/76

If I understand Mormon teachings correctly then there are three levels of heaven.

My question is this: If I don't know what it feels like to be in the highest kingdom why bother trying to get there? I would settle with the lowest kingdom as long as I don't end up in whatever hell Mormons believe in. Coming in second place is better than nothing.

While on the subject of hell why don't Mormons believe in an actuall lake of hellfire? The NT talks about it all the time...

Kona-

None of us remember what it was like to live with our Father in Heaven. That doesn't make the goal of returning to Him any less viable or appropriate. Life isn't a race with second place, it's an endurance marathon that must be taught to us. You said you'd settle with the lowest kingdom as long as you don't end up in whatever hell Mormons believe in. Could it be you also believe in the same hell? Why else would it matter to you?

Those who rebel against God will suffer for their own sins if they do not accept Jesus Christ's atonement. Once they pay the penalty for their own sins to the demands of justice, they will wait or suffer until the resurrection of the unjust. They will then be shut out of the presence of God and dwell in the telestial kingdom glory.

Edit: The telestial kingdom is the lowest degree of glory. Its glory is likened unto the glory of the stars.

As the Apostle Paul taught in I Corinthians chapter 15 (King James Version):

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

The celestial kingdom is compared to the light of the sun and the terrestrial kingdom is compared to the light of the moon.

To begin to understand what happens after judgment, read Doctrine and Covenants section 76

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/76

I might add that there are some who even after the resurrection will remain in their sins and who will be cast out with Satan and his angels. These are perdition.

My question is this: If I don't know what it feels like to be in the highest kingdom why bother trying to get there?

You don't know what the other kingdoms are like either - so why bother to try to get there?

Actually, its mentioned in the Book of Revelation 4 times (the most highly symbolic book of the Bible) and never anywhere else- not exactly what I would call "all the time" I wonder why Jesus never mentioned it, or Paul for that matter.

If I don't know what it feels like to be in the highest kingdom why bother trying to get there?

This is kind of a short sided view. Why be nice to anybody if you don’t know what being nice is like. First somebody would have to assume they are a follower of Christ and know the Joy that comes from Having Christ and our Heavenly Father in our life (through the holy ghost). When you realize you are on the path of God and his kingdom and realize the joy and happiness you feel, you want to have it more and more in your life. If you never experince that joy then I guess I could see how nobody knows what it would be like.

Also to some extent when you loose site of this ultimate goal and sin to some degree (big or small) and loose the holy ghost and loose the feeling of joy and love of God and Christ, you realize what you DON’T want in your life.

This then makes you do anything you can (keep all the Laws, and covenants) that you are given in this life to fill the Measure of your Creation (i.e do what you were created to do, which is return to your Heavenly Father).

When you realize the blessings that are gained from going to Celestial Kingdom (like being sealed and living in the family unit, eventually gaining all that our Father in Heaven has), why would anybody settle for something lower?

Now the Terrestrial Kingdom probably isn’t that “Bad” for mortals that live in a fallen world. We even well be in the presents of Jesus Christ from time to time. But the difference in the glory (as the Sun is different then the moon) makes this a big step down.

But it really is all a matter of what Law we comply to. If we are trying to live up to a Celestial Law then we well gain Celestial Glory. If you don’t meet that requirement then we default to one of the lower ones. Just hoping for Celestial Glory and not keeping it won’t do it.

don't Mormons believe in an actuall lake of hellfire

Do you think God actually created a lava filled planet to put his children on with No Air Conditioning? That hell is just being to hot? The hell

spoken of is “LIKE” fire and brimstone. Its tring to explain the torment you would feel, not actually be at. (Its a state of mind then a location with out ice).

Those who rebel against God will suffer for their own sins if they do not accept Jesus Christ's atonement. Once they pay the penalty for their own sins to the demands of justice, they will wait or suffer until the resurrection of the unjust.

I don’t mean to derail this thread, but Still Small Voice brings up something I had thought about before that doesn’t make sense. (becuase his view here is how I use to see it) Can I really pay for the price of my own sins? The whole point of having Christ come was to satisfy the demands of Justice of breaking an eternal Law. We learn in Alma how this being that had to come to satify the demands of Justice had to be an eternal being, somebody that the eternal Law doesn’t effect. This leads me to believe that nothing I can do, can ever fully pay for breaking an eternal law. Even if I suffered forever could I ever satisfy the demands of justice? Correct? From what I read (and believe me I could be way off here that’s why I’m asking the question). It seems to me that those in the Terrestrial Kingdom, are the ones that had the chance to some degree to live the Gospel. They had a chance (on this earth life or the next) and rejected it. Then changed there mind. They still EVENUALLY turn to Christ, but they do it a little latter then the rest of us. I would have to assume (and I could be way off here) that they do repent and are forgiven of there sins by turning to Christ, they never do not suffer in hell.

The telestial Kingdom, seems like these do sufferer in hell, but not really for there own sins (kind of is, but more for there choice). More that they are cast out of the Presents of God and to feel of his wrath. But I guess this is only because nothing else well help them releize what they have done. (i.e. rejected Christ which is the Only source of salvation). When I was going through these arguments in my head years ago this quote from Talmage thats in the D&C instatute manual came back to me.

Elder James E. Talmage stated: “During this hundred years [of Church history] many other great truths not known before, have been declared to the people, and one of the greatest is that to hell there is an exit as well as an entrance. Hell is no place to which a vindictive judge sends prisoners to suffer and to be punished principally for his glory; but it is a place prepared for the teaching, the disciplining of those who failed to learn here upon the earth what they should have learned. True, we read of everlasting punishment, unending suffering, eternal damnation. That is a direful expression; but in his mercy the Lord has made plain what those words mean. ‘Eternal punishment,’ he says, is God’s punishment, for he is eternal; and that condition or state or possibility will ever exist for the sinner who deserves and really needs such condemnation; but this does not mean that the individual sufferer or sinner is to be eternally and everlastingly made to endure and suffer. No man will be kept in hell longer than is necessary to bring him to a fitness for something better. When he reaches that stage the prison doors will open and there will be rejoicing among the hosts who welcome him into a better state. The Lord has not abated in the least what he has said in earlier dispensations concerning the operation of his law and his gospel, but he has made clear unto us his goodness and mercy through it all, for it is his glory and his work to bring about the immortality and eternal life of man.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1930, p. 97.)

We know those that are even cast out well stand before God and be judged. It seems like (And I guess this is where my question is at). That those that go to the Telestial Kingdom aren’t suffering for there own sins, because that is impossible for a mortal to do (thus the reason for Christ). It more seems like those that are cast down to hell are there to realize why they need Christ! TO learn the lessons they should have learned at least a couple of times before! Once they realize this, (and accept Christ really kind of by force) then they are allowed to come forth and have the glory of the Telestial Kingdom? If they never come to realize this, then they go to outer darkness which really is hell.

Am I seeing things correctly? Can or do mortals ever pay the price of Justice? Can we ever satify the demands of Justice?

Can I really pay for the price of my own sins?

Great point. I don't think so. I think we can suffer for them, but never atone for them. Those who thus suffer in hell before the resurrection suffer for unrepentant sin. However, many will eventually repent and be cleansed by Jesus' atonement, in my view. If any one goes to any kingdom of glory, it is through the grace of Christ and in no other way.

Written like a true underachiever. Heh, heh. I am there with you, bruther.

The gospel, though, is all about lifting individuals above what they deserve. You may feel that the Terrestrial or Telestial Kingdom is what you deserve, but Jesus Christ thinks better of you.

Written like a true underachiever. Heh, heh. I am there with you, bruther.

The gospel, though, is all about lifting individuals above what they deserve. You may feel that the Terrestrial or Telestial Kingdom is what you deserve, but Jesus Christ thinks better of you.

I like that reply. And remember eternity is a long time to be in one state of being, no matter how glorious that state of being is, spending an eternity there will tend to make it boring.. and then go beyond that to make it torturous that you will have no way of further progression. You will be cut off from all that your Heavenly Father had in store for you, which will cause you to lament that you were not willing to see the bigger picture when you had the chance.

When all you have to do is be baptized and recieve the Holy Ghost to reach the Celestial Kingdom, why aim for anything lower?

I WISH that was all that was needed. That only starts the process.

My take on the original question:

Yes, the Telestial Kingdom better than anything we know here and now. But, we will have to stand before our Savior on that infamous judgement day. At that moment, if not before, we will see and understand what the Celestial kingdom is, as Christ embodies the highest of what we can and should be reaching for. If, when we are before Him, we have not lived up to all we should have, it will not be a pleasant experince. We will become completely aware of our mistake. We will at that moment fall at His feet, and I don't want to know what we'll experience. The scriptures tell us that we'll have all our sins open to Him, and have to pay our own price for them. The scriptures tell us what He went thru in the Garden at His time of Atonement, making even Him bleed at every pore. What will our pain be like?

We should NEVER be "satisfied" with "only" attaining the Telestial kingdom. The price is too much.

I WISH that was all that was needed. That only starts the process.

My take on the original question:

Yes, the Telestial Kingdom better than anything we know here and now. But, we will have to stand before our Savior on that infamous judgement day. At that moment, if not before, we will see and understand what the Celestial kingdom is, as Christ embodies the highest of what we can and should be reaching for. If, when we are before Him, we have not lived up to all we should have, it will not be a pleasant experince. We will become completely aware of our mistake. We will at that moment fall at His feet, and I don't want to know what we'll experience. The scriptures tell us that we'll have all our sins open to Him, and have to pay our own price for them. The scriptures tell us what He went thru in the Garden at His time of Atonement, making even Him bleed at every pore. What will our pain be like?

We should NEVER be "satisfied" with "only" attaining the Telestial kingdom. The price is too much.

It is all that is needed. Baptism is the gate through which to enter.

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering, and please do not take this as disrespectful, but have any of you searched the scriptures for the answers that you seek and prayerfully pondered upon them for those answers?

I believe that most of the questions posed in this thread are found in the scriptures to those who will but search them to know for themselves. Else why have they been given to us?

Section 76 Three Degrees of Glory and sons of perdition (also see cross references for both)

Section 19 Paying for your own sins and what is hell and God's punishment?

Section 132 more on power of Atonement and Exaltation and paying for own sins...

Note: Baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost - STOP - are not the ONLY only requirements that are necessary for one to meet for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom. IF you are under the impression that to ONLY receive these two ordinances is all that is required. To truly RECEIVE means much more than just this.. See Section 84:47 See the job of the Holy Ghost and you will realize that IF you RECEIVE the Gift the evidence will clearly be seen in the Path ahead, and it is not only two ordinances.

Do not fall for this deception that is widely being taught, currently in many respectable circles, as this is quite disturbing. This only gives a person possible entrance into the kingdom of God, but Not the Kingdom of Heaven. These are two different things that are being spoken of...

It is all that is needed. Baptism is the gate through which to enter.

Sorry. I either am missing your point, or have to disagree. Sound too much like Evangelicals concept of being "saved". There's waaay more to it than that. Yeah, it starts the process, but it's only the very beginning. There's this whole pesky thing of being faithful to the commandments, and the "worst" part, enduring to the end. ;)

We know those that are even cast out well stand before God and be judged. It seems like (And I guess this is where my question is at). That those that go to the Telestial Kingdom aren’t suffering for there own sins, because that is impossible for a mortal to do (thus the reason for Christ). It more seems like those that are cast down to hell are there to realize why they need Christ! TO learn the lessons they should have learned at least a couple of times before! Once they realize this, (and accept Christ really kind of by force) then they are allowed to come forth and have the glory of the Telestial Kingdom? If they never come to realize this, then they go to outer darkness which really is hell.

Am I seeing things correctly? Can or do mortals ever pay the price of Justice? Can we ever satify the demands of Justice?

Here is the official doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints concerning spirit prison found in the Gospel Principles Manual chapter 45:

The Apostle Peter referred to the spirit world as a prison, which it is for some (see 1 Peter 3:18–20). In the spirit prison are the spirits of those who have not yet received the gospel of Jesus Christ. These spirits have agency and may be enticed by both good and evil. If they accept the gospel and the ordinances performed for them in the temples, they may prepare themselves to leave the spirit prison and dwell in paradise.

Also in the spirit prison are those who rejected the gospel after it was preached to them on earth or in the spirit prison. These spirits suffer in a condition known as hell. They have removed themselves from the mercy of Jesus Christ, who said, “Behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent; but if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit” (D&C 19:16–18). After suffering in full for their sins, they will be allowed to inherit the lowest degree of glory, which is the telestial kingdom.

The hell in the spirit world will not continue forever. Even the spirits who have committed the greatest sins will have suffered sufficiently by the end of the Millennium (see Acts 2:25–27). They will then be resurrected.

All will be resurrected because of Jesus Christ's atonement. So all receive some of His grace.

Edit: I need to specify, all who have been born in flesh and blood in this life will be resurrected, not the devils that rejected our Heavenly Father's plan in the pre-existence.

Well kona, I don't know about you but I am one of those people who wants the best out of life, and subsequently I want the best out of eternal life too.

For example, on this world I could choose to live in a 1 bedroom apartment and exist just fine. But life was so much better for me and my husband when we bought a house. We moved up in the world and we like it better. Heaven is no different in the concept. Sure, the telestial and terrestrial kingsoms are way better than anything we've ever seen on this earth. But they are nothing in comparison to the celestial kingdom. That's our goal: to get there and be with God, who lives there.

I personally want the best and will do what I can to be the best I can be. How about you?

Sorry. I either am missing your point, or have to disagree. Sound too much like Evangelicals concept of being "saved". There's waaay more to it than that. Yeah, it starts the process, but it's only the very beginning. There's this whole pesky thing of being faithful to the commandments, and the "worst" part, enduring to the end. ;)

There is a reason we call baptism the gate upon which we enter in. Because if someone makes that covenant and keeps it dilligently they will obtain a cestial glory. The description of the Celestial Glory in Section 76 is clear on this:

50 And again we bear record—for we saw and heard, and this is the testimony of the gospel of Christ concerning them who shall come forth in the resurrection of the just—

51 They are they who received the testimony of Jesus, and believed on his name and were baptized after the manner of his burial, being buried in the water in his name, and this according to the commandment which he has given—

52 That by keeping the commandments they might be washed and cleansed from all their sins, and receive the Holy Spirit by the laying on of the hands of him who is ordained and sealed unto this power;

53 And who overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true. (D&C 76:50-53)

There are other ordinances after baptism but they are to prepare men and women for a higher degree of celestial glory. Joseph was clear that the highest degree of the celestial glory would be for those who entered into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage. But there are Saints who will not enter into these covenants. They too shall obtain a celestial glory, so long as they have been baptize. But that is the end of their increase.

There is a reason we call baptism the gate upon which we enter in. Because if someone makes that covenant and keeps it dilligently they will obtain a cestial glory. The description of the Celestial Glory in Section 76 is clear on this:

There are other ordinances after baptism but they are to prepare men and women for a higher degree of celestial glory. Joseph was clear that the highest degree of the celestial glory would be for those who entered into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage. But there are Saints who will not enter into these covenants. They too shall obtain a celestial glory, so long as they have been baptize. But that is the end of their increase.

Hi,

Please give me your references that you base your understanding upon so that I might refer directly to those in my response please. I stand firmly upon my previous statements from very careful study of this doctrine. I do not take this subject lightly nor do I make these statements carelessly. I am happy to stand corrected if need be. Thus, please give me credible statements if you feel I am incorrect and I shall respond to them as necessary.

You mentioned Section 76:

Here are the blessings for the celestial kingdom. This is exactly as they are written in the scriptures...

The people who will inherit the celestial kingdom are those that, after being baptized and receiving the Holy Ghost, overcome by faith, and are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, which the Father sheds forth upon all those who are just and true.

(Now, I am going to bold some important doctrines regarding what it means to fully RECEIVE the Holy Ghost and qualify oneself to inherit the Celestial Kingdom and I am not even going to focus on Exaltation which is the Highest Degree right now, which is actually what sec 76 is about.)

They are they who are the church of the Firstborn.

They are they into whose hands the Father has given all things—

They are they who are priests and kings, who have received of his fulness, and of his glory;

And are priests of the Most High, after the order of Melchizedek, which was after the order of Enoch, which was after the order of the Only Begotten Son.

Wherefore, as it is written, they are gods, even the sons of God. [D&C 76:53–58]

Section 76 continues:

Wherefore, all things are theirs, whether life or death, or things present, or things to come, all are theirs and they are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.

And they shall overcome all things.

Wherefore, let no man glory in man, but rather let him glory in God, who shall subdue all enemies under his feet.

These shall dwell in the presence of God and his Christ forever and ever. (This is the HIGHEST degree)

These are they whom he shall bring with him, when he shall come in the clouds of heaven to reign on the earth over his people.

These are they who shall have part in the first resurrection.

These are they who shall come forth in the resurrection of the just.

These are they who are come unto Mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly place, the holiest of all. . . .

These are they whose names are written in heaven, where God and Christ are the judge of all.

These are they who are just men made perfect through Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, who wrought out this perfect atonement through the shedding of his own blood.

These are they whose bodies are celestial, whose glory is that of the sun, even the glory of God, the highest of all [D&C 76: 59–66, 68–70]

In this revelation it is clear that to be a recipient of the blessings of the Celestial Kingdom, one must receive ALL of the Higher ordinances of the Gospel of Jesus Christ wherein the qualifications for the Sealing by the Holy Spirit of Promise has been met.

Whether you believe these blessings are for those of the first or third degrees, you will note that one must have received the Melchizidek Priesthood of God. This is also prerequisite for entrance into the House of the Lord, or The Temple.

I again, stand firm in my faith that the definition of one who RECEIVES the Gift of the Holy Ghost WIll receive the FULNESS as described in Section 76 and as stated in one of my favorite scriptures in Section 84:

47 And every one that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit cometh unto God, even the Father.

There is no doubt in the word of God, as here spoken, that the mission of the third member of the Godhead is to bring all those who receive His Light, back along the SURE path, that leads directly into the Presence of God the Father and not any place else.

I think we're saying the same thing, just mine is the Readers Digest version ;)

I like it simple. Like me :D

I think we're saying the same thing, just mine is the Readers Digest version ;)

I like it simple. Like me :D

For both Rick and 4321,

Is it both of your understanding that it is only necessary to receive baptism and the laying on of hands for the gift of the holy ghost for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom (not the highest degree) and not the path that leads to... or the gate, not necessarily entrance through the gate, as in a necessary qualification for entrance, among other things...

Is this a correct statement from your perspectives?

All I need to qualify for entrance into the Celestial Kingdom are to have two ordinances, first that of baptism, and second the laying on of hands to receive the holy ghost.

The important thing about learning doctrine is- how will you let it affect how you live your life? We'd probably all agree that you still have to continue to repent and strive to live the commandments to "qualify" for the celestial kingdom (it's actually our Savior who qualifies us). If we've been baptized, received the Holy Ghost, learned of the temple or priesthood, but chose not to receive the temple ordinances or the priesthood for whatever reason - I would think that could have a part in what glory we will inherit. Whether it cuts you off from the celestial kingdom, I don't know- I leave that to God to decide. But if we made that decision just because we thought we had it made already so we don't need to accept the further responsibility, I think that will probably condemn us.

The important thing about learning doctrine is- how will you let it affect how you live your life? We'd probably all agree that you still have to continue to repent and strive to live the commandments to "qualify" for the celestial kingdom (it's actually our Savior who qualifies us). If we've been baptized, received the Holy Ghost, learned of the temple or priesthood, but chose not to receive the temple ordinances or the priesthood for whatever reason - I would think that could have a part in what glory we will inherit. Whether it cuts you off from the celestial kingdom, I don't know- I leave that to God to decide. But if we made that decision just because we thought we had it made already so we don't need to accept the further responsibility, I think that will probably condemn us.

ztodd,

I agree with your statement when you say, "The important thing about learning doctrine is - how will you let it affect how you live your life?"

But it is not the Savior that qualifies us...

Because of Jesus Christ and His infinite Atonement, each and everyone of God's children have a SURE place in the Celestial Kingdom of God, even EXALTATION, which is the GREATEST GIFT. This is FIXED and IMMOVABLE with an OATH and a COVENANT, which cannot be broken or God would cease to be GOD.

For me zTodd, this is the most wonderful NEWS of The Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Our COVENANTS and our keeping them are what QUALIFY us. His work is FINISHED, as He stated infinitely on the Cross at Calvary!

He came, He lived and showed us the way and commanded us to Come Follow Me...

Joseph Smith explained that IF a man is to gain Salvation, they would need to do it in the same way that Jesus Christ did it, and that was by receiving all of the ordinances of the Temple.

This is the doctrine of salvation.

Jesus Christ submitted His will unto the Father in giving His Life up and Doing All that was required of Him in offering Himself an acceptable Sacrifice before God.

It is our choice to give up our will to Follow Jesus Christ as we make and keep sacred Covenants, as did He and lay claim to that which is our birthright!

But it is now, through the use of our AGENCY that we will prove our desires and loyalty to our Royal Family

By saying the Savior qualified us, I just meant that it was he who saved us and that we don't save ourselves (Eph 2:8-9). We've all fallen short of the glory of God because we are all sinners (Rom. 3: 23), but because of Christ's atonement we are able to be forgiven, or justified (Rom. 3: 24), and inherit whatever glory we are able to abide (D&C 88:22-24).

By saying the Savior qualified us, I just meant that it was he who saved us and that we don't save ourselves (Eph 2:8-9). We've all fallen short of the glory of God because we are all sinners (Rom. 3: 23), but because of Christ's atonement we are able to be forgiven, or justified (Rom. 3: 24), and inherit whatever glory we are able to abide (D&C 88:22-24).

Right on! You must forgive my doctrinal sermons... as I am a stickler for the word. :D