What Are The Rules

cherisalorraine

I have stated many time that I am going to be baptized on 12/18 (well that is barring any great change of heart)but the more I read the more I wonder I am getting my children and myself involved in. I have thus far learned that I am joining a faith that practices fellowship and cares greatly for one another. I am also reading reading reading but the book of Mormon doesnt answer all of the questions at least thus far. I have also glimpsed at the Pearl of Great Price. I would like to know many things regarding practices and I will make a list and hope to get some answers and if any one can tell me anything else that I should know I would like to have them speak up. thank you .

1. What is this garment that people are speaking of and Why does Heavenly Father ask them to wear it.

2. I understand about not eating and drinking certain things but could some one tell me all of them

3. Will my children be treated as equals to their peers (they are not born into the church and will be behind in studies and they were both born out of wedlock

4. what steps do I have to follow to actually become a member of the Church after baptism

5. is taking medication for an ovarian tumor that has caffeine in it a sin

6. Can any one tell me any other things that I would be interested in knowing as I am a convert and I have had no contact with LDS until very recently and I think that I should at least know the basics I am getting scared and nervous the more I think about it and I am sure that it is something trying to get me to walk away but I would prefer to just learn and keep going

1. Garments are a reminder of the covenants we make when we go to the temple (this wouldn't happen until at least a year after you're baptized).

2. Coffee and tea

3. They should be considered equals. :) If they're not, tell me whose mistreating them and I'll smack them one.

4. Right after baptism is your confirmation - this is when you receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and are confirmed a member of the church.

5. No, if your doctor prescribes a medication for you, you can take it. Caffeine is not specifically forbidden in the Word of Wisdom, but it is wise to stay away from anything you can become addicted to. Migraine medications also contain caffeine. You have to do what you can to manage your health.

6. You will have many opportunities to serve. :) Have you been told about callings?

Wearing garments might seem weird to some people at first, but you get used to them really fast. They're not a big deal- and you don't have to worry about them for at least another year anyway, so don't sweat it. But like MorningStar said, they're just to remind us of covenants or promises we made in the temple to obey God's commandments He gave us in the scriptures. It's really not anything strange enough that I didn't get used to it right away. Garments are mentioned a little bit in the bible- you can search that out a little if you like at http://scriptures.lds.org. But the reason we as a church started wearing them is because of modern revelation from God to living prophets.

Read Doctrine and Covenants section 89 for the Word of Wisdom - No coffee, tea, tobacco, strong drinks (which basically includes alcohol) - and just show wisdom in taking care of your body.

I've heard that some areas might be bad for children being teased or not included- members of the church are definitely not perfect- but I think that generally children in the church are taught well and are of good enough character to reach out to new members and those in need of friendship. They're real good about it in my area.

the more I wonder I am getting my children and myself involved in.

I remember thinking that myself. But my spiritual confirmation got me past it. A couple times after becoming a member I wonder it as well, but again, spiritual confirmation helps me not to worry.

1. What is this garment that people are speaking of and Why does Heavenly Father ask them to wear it.

You don't really have to worry about this right away as you won't have to deal with it yourself until going to the Temple. I just went a few weeks ago....not a big deal. :D And as MS stated, they are just to remind people of covenants they make in the Temple. Sort of a protection against yourself.

2. I understand about not eating and drinking certain things but could some one tell me all of them

Stay away from drugs (illegal), alcohol, tobacco, tea (from the tea plant) and coffee. Everything else is sort of your disgression. If it is addictive, it is probably not a good idea either.

3. Will my children be treated as equals to their peers (they are not born into the church and will be behind in studies and they were both born out of wedlock

Both my kids were born out of wedlock by different fathers. They are treated as equals with their peers. Never had a problem there at all.

4. what steps do I have to follow to actually become a member of the Church after baptism

Um...you will get the Gift of the Holy Ghost typically the Sunday after your baptism for converts. At that point you are a full fledged member.

Taking caffeine isn't a sin. I unfortunately drink it every day to avoid headaches and because I am pretty well addicted. However because it can be considered addictive, many members stay away from it when possible.

6. Can any one tell me any other things that I would be interested in knowing as I am a convert and I have had no contact with LDS until very recently and I think that I should at least know the basics I am getting scared and nervous the more I think about it and I am sure that it is something trying to get me to walk away but I would prefer to just learn and keep going

It might seem overwhelming at times because it has a bit of a cultural side to it besides the religious side, just take it slowly. Remember to tell people you are just learning and they need to really explain things to you. When I joined I knew a lot of the doctrine, but not policy and policy has been a bit of a thorn to me. Funny enough it tends to be ward policy, not Church policy. Just little things that make life work smoother, but I wasn't use to. The whole idea of Visiting Teaching and Home Teaching was rather alien, but now I love it. Anyway...just remember we all learn line upon line and precept upon precept. You aren't expect to know it all and there isn't a test.

Hi Cherisalorraine!

I think it's great that you're looking before you're leaping.

Nobody will ask you to wear anything (except maybe 'sunday best' to church), until you decide you want to go to the temple. And as someone already mentioned, a new member will wait a year before choosing to go. Some members do not go to the temple at all. I don't know about other wards, but my ward, maybe 20-30% of the people actually go to the temple.

Depending on where you live, your children will not just be treated as equals, they will be equals. There will certainly be converts in your ward. We don't send all those missionaries out into the world because everyone is already LDS! :D

I hope you don't think of this as arguing semantics, but you don't "have to" do a single thing. There is no force involved. When you go into the water you are not a member, when you come out, you are. The short list of things to do before you get baptized (from the church's Gospel Principles book:

Alma taught that when we are baptized we make covenants with the Lord to—

1. Come into the fold of God.

2. Bear one another’s burdens.

3. Stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all places.

4. Serve God and keep his commandments.

When we are baptized and keep the covenants of baptism, the Lord promises to—

1. Forgive our sins.

2. Pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon us.

3. Give us daily guidance and the help of the Holy Ghost.

4. Let us come forth in the First Resurrection.

5. Give us eternal life.

It's implied that before you get baptized, you believe in God, accept Christ as your savior, believe the church is "the fold of God", etc. I would certainly advise against baptism if you don't believe in God...

Oh heck no. The do's and don'ts of the word of wisdom are all about what is good for our bodies and souls. Medicine is by defnition, good for us. Now if you are abusing over-the-counter drugs, you may have a problem. :D

If you are an avid reader, and want a really good solid foundation into the founding of our church, I'd recommend the Work and the Glory series of historical fiction by Gerald Lund. 9 volumes. Don't panic - not too many mormons have read all of these. I'm just saying that if you are an avid reader, by the time you're done with that series, you'll know more about church history than maybe half of the people sitting next to you at church.

What it came down to for me - I felt the undeniable, inescapable prompting of the Holy Ghost, witnessing to me that the church was true. I came to this experience in my own time, on my own knees, alone in my own room. Has something similar happened to you? If not, I would suggest that you go and seek the answer to your prayer, and then if you recieve an answer, go forth firm and steady.

Good luck! Ask more questions if you've got them!

LM

I would like to know many things regarding practices and I will make a list and hope to get some answers and if any one can tell me anything else that I should know I would like to have them speak up. thank you .

I have really enjoyed the answers so far. As you can no doubt see, there is a variety of opinion and a diversity of viewpoints among the Latter-day Saints. So, here's my version of answers:

1. As we take the covenants of the Temple upon ourselves, we are given the sacred garments to wear as a symbol of those covenants. I think of it as similar to the wedding ring I have worn for 25 years now, that is a symbol of my covenant to my wife that I made before God in the Temple.

2. I can't tell you all of them, as we are expected to understand the principle, and apply it in our own lives. Some items have been specified by the Church, as has been mentioned. These are coffee, tea (herbal teas are mostly OK), tobacco, alcohol and addictive substances. Except chocolate, that one's OK. :P

3. They should be treated in every way as equals. If they are not, then the Saints need to repent!

4. That's pretty much it.

5. Not at all.

6. That opens a can of worms. The Gospel and the Church are two different things, as will become quite evident to you as you begin to participate more and more. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is why the Church exists. The Church is the authorized vehicle or guardian of the Gospel, and its mission is to keep it pure and administer the ordinances in righteousness, to the benefit of all mankind. It was established for that purpose in 1830, and it does a FANTASTIC job, overall. But...

The Church is run by people, most of whom do their very best to follow the spirit of god in all that they do. But being people, sometimes we make mistakes. Sometimes, they are BIG mistakes. Most times, though, they are just stupidity or ignorance types of things. Some people are hypocrites, and that causes a lot of damage, especially if they are Bishops, Releif Society presidents, or such. But as I say, most LDS are truly sincere and try really hard to follow the spirit.

The Church membership tends to be politically conservative. We also tend to put the leaders (especially the Apostles and such) on an impossibly high pedistal. I like this little ditty:

The Catholics teach that the Pope is infallible,

... but none of them really believe it.

The Mormons teach that the prophet and apostles are only human,

... but none of them really believe it.

We tend to believe faith-promoting rumors more than we should. We have a list of policies a mile long, that have little to do with the Gospel (white shirts, brethren!). But it's all good. I hope this is helpful, and doesn't send you running for the hills...

HiJolly

WOW is the only thing that I can say about the thought people put into the answers. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I would like to clarify that I attend a very small branch and I have never personally seen more than 4 children other than my own there. SO my children are treated good as far as I know. I do believe in God! I am very anxious about being baptized and I am very happy that I found something that feels right. I am also glad that Elder Pond and Elder Ricks understand that I am not crying because their lessons are bad and that it is because I have uncontrolled emotion when ever I sit down to talk with them. Some one had spoken of what happened in their bedroom and I think I had a similar thing happen but I was with other people. My neighbor lady who is a Gem was the one who I first learned of the gospel through. She was speaking to me about the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine of the Covenant and I think The Pearl of Great Price and I couldnt stop crying and all of me wanted to just sit and hear more and more. I am still getting the milk but one day I will be ready to move on. Again thank you all for your help.I was also reassured that the garment is not some type of neoprene suit that causes heat strokes or anything weird so I am feeling a little better about this.

I am glad that you are seeking truth, it can bring light, and thus enlightenment to your soul. First of all I want to counsel you not to jump to Calculus when you have yet to master algebra. Yes, they are related but getting too concerned over garments can answer curiosity, but it will all come to you in its own due time. I believe it was Robert Millett who talked about the Second Simplicity, which in short means that after one comes to Christ via Faith, Repentance and the fundamental ordinances of Baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost (by those in authority of course) we sometimes travel the road of conjecture and speculation, supported by scriptures and truth, but ultimately we come back to the first simplicity or the fundamentals that brought us to our quest for a testimony in the first place, namely Faith, Repentance, Baptism, etc. . Don't get me wrong all truth is contained in the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS. For example, theBook of Mormon contains the fullness of the Gospel. That being said, if all we had was just Nephi I & II we would have sufficient because therein lies wonderful, wonderful doctrine on the doctrine of Christ, the Atonement, Grace, Mercy, etc. (see II Ne 4:16-35 & II Ne Chapter 9). There is so much more but it bulids on the foundation of Christ.

I am a convert also, (See New Era Oct 1979 - With the Spirit You Can Do Anything - by Vera Judge). You have to get the hard copy because the Church was unable to obtain digital copyrights for e-publishing that article.) The Gospel, gets better and better. As as has been said about the members reminds me a dream I had when I was once called to be Counselor in a Bishopric over Sunday School. The SS Pres wanted to consolidate all the classes from 6 to 3 for ease of management. I will summarize the whole thing. I wanted to 'fire' him for being insubordinate, as I would a secular business associate. Anyway, I had a dream where I was in a large and spacious field full of mud and muck - you know the kind that can ###### your boots off. Off in the distance President Ezra Taft Benson (then the Prophet) and his entourage were walking through the muck toward an embankment. President Benson could not traverse the hill alone so I carried him. When we got to the bottom there was a Stake Center and a throng of people gathered around him, as you can imagine a Prophet coming to a meeting. I was pushed out of the way. At the same time, President Benson looked at me and before he was whisked away told me this. "Accept people for their strengths, don't judge them for their weaknesses." That as you can imagine was very profound for me and I have never forgotten that advice.

People that we sometimes disagree with are put in our path(s) so we can learn to apply Christ-like principles. We can never obtain Faith sufficient to be saved if we avoid the experiential moments necessary to try us and to polish us. There is a book out that you will read someday that discusses what I have come to coin as the 'spectrum of faith. In conclusion faith is much more than belief. For example, Alma tells us in chapater 32 that we need to 1) awake 2) arouse 3) hope 4) desire 5) believe (and we have not even arrived at faith yet), then we have faith. After we have faith in Christ we then come to knowledge line upon line.

I know I have given you a lot to think about but remember if Christ grew grace for grace, line upon line, precept upon precept should we not follow his as our grand Exemplar. You have made the correct choice for a gazillion reasons. Remember Mosiah 4:30, and you will put off the natuarl (worldly) man and come to Christ as Moroni so eloquently taught.

Let us know how it goes. We have been where you are, and hope and have faith we will arrive where He is. You don't have to learn it all in one year, or a lifetime for that matter

Warm regards,

Abraham

I am glad that you are seeking truth, it can bring light, and thus enlightenment to your soul. First of all I want to counsel you not to jump to Calculus when you have yet to master algebra. Yes, they are related but getting too concerned over garments can answer curiosity, but it will all come to you in its own due time. I believe it was Robert Millett who talked about the Second Simplicity, which in short means that after one comes to Christ via Faith, Repentance and the fundamental ordinances of Baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost (by those in authority of course) we sometimes travel the road of conjecture and speculation, supported by scriptures and truth, but ultimately we come back to the first simplicity or the fundamentals that brought us to our quest for a testimony in the first place, namely Faith, Repentance, Baptism, etc. . Don't get me wrong all truth is contained in the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS. For example, theBook of Mormon contains the fullness of the Gospel. That being said, if all we had was just Nephi I & II we would have sufficient because therein lies wonderful, wonderful doctrine on the doctrine of Christ, the Atonement, Grace, Mercy, etc. (see II Ne 4:16-35 & II Ne Chapter 9). There is so much more but it bulids on the foundation of Christ.

I am a convert also, (See New Era Oct 1979 - With the Spirit You Can Do Anything - by Vera Judge). You have to get the hard copy because the Church was unable to obtain digital copyrights for e-publishing that article.) The Gospel, gets better and better. As as has been said about the members reminds me a dream I had when I was once called to be Counselor in a Bishopric over Sunday School. The SS Pres wanted to consolidate all the classes from 6 to 3 for ease of management. I will summarize the whole thing. I wanted to 'fire' him for being insubordinate, as I would a secular business associate. Anyway, I had a dream where I was in a large and spacious field full of mud and muck - you know the kind that can ###### your boots off. Off in the distance President Ezra Taft Benson (then the Prophet) and his entourage were walking through the muck toward an embankment. President Benson could not traverse the hill alone so I carried him. When we got to the bottom there was a Stake Center and a throng of people gathered around him, as you can imagine a Prophet coming to a meeting. I was pushed out of the way. At the same time, President Benson looked at me and before he was whisked away told me this. "Accept people for their strengths, don't judge them for their weaknesses." That as you can imagine was very profound for me and I have never forgotten that advice.

People that we sometimes disagree with are put in our path(s) so we can learn to apply Christ-like principles. We can never obtain Faith sufficient to be saved if we avoid the experiential moments necessary to try us and to polish us. There is a book out that you will read someday that discusses what I have come to coin as the 'spectrum of faith. In conclusion faith is much more than belief. For example, Alma tells us in chapater 32 that we need to 1) awake 2) arouse 3) hope 4) desire 5) believe (and we have not even arrived at faith yet), then we have faith. After we have faith in Christ we then come to knowledge line upon line.

I know I have given you a lot to think about but remember if Christ grew grace for grace, line upon line, precept upon precept should we not follow his as our grand Exemplar. You have made the correct choice for a gazillion reasons. Remember Mosiah 4:30, and you will put off the natuarl (worldly) man and come to Christ as Moroni so eloquently taught.

Let us know how it goes. We have been where you are, and hope and have faith we will arrive where He is. You don't have to learn it all in one year, or a lifetime for that matter

Warm regards,

Abraham

Awesome dream. The article you referred to...I wasn't sure if you were saying you wrote it?

~Kate

Abraham,

Thank you for giving my so much to think about. An idle mind is the Devils tool is what my grand says. I am very interest in so many things but I have to keep being told about needing to digest the milk first. I will keep everything that I hear on here in my mind. the baby is crying so I will come back later!

Hello cheri...

I would suggest before you are baptized you read and study absolutely as much as possible... ask questions here and of the missionaries... your comment that the more you read makes you wonder what you are getting yourself and your children involved in is telling, and waves a red flag to me that you are not yet ready for baptism. What is it that is giving you that concern? I know from your description of your meetings with the missionaries that you are recognizing gospel truths... but, you need to have more confidence in what you are learning, so that you are not concerned about what you're getting yourself involved in but understand and embrace the gospel... Read our Articles of Faith because they give brief statements of our basic beliefs... ask questions about them. Many people say that you can learn about many things after you're baptized... I somewhat agree, but you really do need to have a good foundation of the basics beforehand. I feel strongly about this and not everyone agrees with me.

I would suggest reading books like "The Mormon Faith" by Robert Millet (200 pages), and "Our Search for Happiness: An Invitation to Understand The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" by M. Russell Ballard (128 pages) in addition to the Book of Mormon, D&C, PofGP, coupled with the Bible. These are easily read in a day or two. There is also a very slim paperback publication put out by FARMS, edited by Robert Millet and Noel B. Reynolds titled "Latter-Day Christianity: 10 Basic Issues" with contributors such as Daniel C. Peterson, Stephen E. Robinson, Brent L. Top, etc. (53 pages).

I wish you well...

The Garden Girl

people here have given some good advice. I can only offer the following:

Baptism is just the entrance to the straight and narrow path. It's not the end of the journey, it's the beginning. So I suggest making goals of where you are heading and where you want to lead your family. These goals should be set after much pondering and prayer. I do have a few suggestions though.

1)Get the gift of the Holy Ghost. When you are confirmed a member of the Church, you will have hands laid on your head and will be commanded to recieve the Holy Ghost. And while the Holy Ghost may come immediate, the Lord may also wait for you to ask in humble prayer for His companionship. We learn in the Book of Mormon that the Nephites were specifically praying for the Holy Ghost to come.

This talk is a good resource:

Personal revelations

In it mentions President Lorenzo Snow's conversion and how He was baptized and several weeks later prayed for the Holy Ghost to receive His companionship. Man must live off the word of God, and we cant know it unless we have the Spirit with us.

2)Make a goal to go to the temple, First to do baptisms as soon as you can and later to go through to make your covenants and to be sealed with your family. It may not happen immediately, but reaching this goal will be worth more than anything in this life.

3)When you are ready, get your Patriarchal blessing. I don't know how much, if anything, you know about it, but its a very useful resource in our walk with God.

Other than that, you know you and your families needs. Listen to the Spirit. grow together. and have faith. If I've learned anything in this Church is that things always work out wih faith, even if its not how we expected it to.

I would suggest before you are baptized you read and study absolutely as much as possible... ask questions here and of the missionaries... your comment that the more you read makes you wonder what you are getting yourself and your children involved in is telling, and waves a red flag to me that you are not yet ready for baptism. What is it that is giving you that concern?

I took it she meant, can I really do all that is required of me. Doubting herself rather than doubting the gospel. That is what happened to me, why it took me so long. I was afraid of failing God and my children. Thankfully I realized what the Atonement was and what it meant for me and that I didn't have to be perfect and if I messed up....I had that to rely on.

But...those books you recommended are awesome (the ones that I have read). And the scriptures are always important.