Clothes

CourtneyP

It is just me, or is it getting more and more difficult to find clothing that is modest for women? All the clothes these days are so skin tight and short! Or the shirts are so low cut! It just seems to me that it's getting harder and harder to buy nice, modest clothing in this day and age. I really am not that old (will be 29 next Monday) but it seems that in my mind kids wore shorts that came to their knees and short sleeves shirts came to the elbow when I was growing up. Now they've got these "Daisy Dukes" style booty shorts and spaghetti strap tank tops for summer wear. And folks showing off their midsections and getting navel rings?

Am I just an old-fahsioned 29 year old or is clothing just too darn revealing now?

The philosophy used to be, "If you've got it, flaunt it." Now it's, "If you don't got it, flaunt it." Ack!

and "If you've got a LOT of it, flaunt it." (where is the green sick smilie when you need it???)

It is just me, or is it getting more and more difficult to find clothing that is modest for women? All the clothes these days are so skin tight and short! Or the shirts are so low cut! It just seems to me that it's getting harder and harder to buy nice, modest clothing in this day and age. I really am not that old (will be 29 next Monday) but it seems that in my mind kids wore shorts that came to their knees and short sleeves shirts came to the elbow when I was growing up. Now they've got these "Daisy Dukes" style booty shorts and spaghetti strap tank tops for summer wear. And folks showing off their midsections and getting navel rings?

Am I just an old-fahsioned 29 year old or is clothing just too darn revealing now?

oh, I was jut thinking of a question I had about clothes and here there is with a thread already started. Ok, if I wanted to say attend church one day to check it out (side question: are guests welcome?) is there anything special or is it just sunday best like at any church? I'll have to go shopping anyways, don't have any sunday clothes anymore...except for uniforms

oh, I was jut thinking of a question I had about clothes and here there is with a thread already started. Ok, if I wanted to say attend church one day to check it out (side question: are guests welcome?) is there anything special or is it just sunday best like at any church? I'll have to go shopping anyways, don't have any sunday clothes anymore...except for uniforms

Buy a white shirt and a plain colored tie with some dress slacks and you will be fine.

Actually anything that is clean will work. If anyone in the congregation makes a to-do over what you are wearing, then THAT is THEIR problem.

I am a woman, and when I reactivated after 30 years of inactivity I didn't own a dress, so I wore the nicest pant suit I owed. I wore pantsuits for four months until I could afford to buy some jumpers and skirts. I had lots of dressy blouses - I had once worked in a bank, so my banking clothes were really nice.

I have seen investigators wear nearly any type of clothing from Dockers to Levi's, Cords, wranglers, etc. As for tops - shirts, again - it really doesn't matter what color, as long as it is clean. If you don't own an iron, don't sweat it - if you take your clothes out of the dryer as soon as it turns off and hang your shirts up, the wrinkles are minimum. This goes for the gals as well as the gents.

We have three new female adult converts in our Ward. None of them wear dresses/skirts. They don't have them and can not afford to purchase them. They have also politely refused dresses/skirts from members and DI chits to purchase some - For once everyone in the Ward is in agreement in that it doesn't matter what these women wear - they are dressed modestly,and in clean clothes . I sort of wish the dress standards were loosened a bit - Church wide. I would prefer to wear long, pant-skirts. They are certainly modest. Plus they are such a cinch for me to make - only costs me around $6.00 per pair!

So, Proud - what ever you have that is clean, wear it. Oh, if you have t-shirts that have sayings or logo's on them, I don't recommend wearing them -

Also white shirts with or w/o tie, are NOT required. The Bishopric wear them, as does the Stake Presidency, and the young men who bless and serve the sacrament are supposed to wear them, but in my Ward, some of the young men wear white polo shirts under dark sweater vests. They look very nice, and respectful.

• 2 weeks later...

k so does anyone no where i could find a modest prom dress it seems pretty much impossible ... they are all like strapless and or are way revealing in not only hte front but back to ... i have till april... so i have a while but i've just kinda been looking and they are all strapless its so frustarting ... and i dont have time to make one or else i would i have hours of homework everynight im training almost every saturday to be a supervisor at this amusment park by my house ... and how im i going to fit time in for my family and friends and church stuff ... ya so if anyone knows a website or something that would be way helpfull

sorry about the whinning ..

Amber :)

k so does anyone no where i could find a modest prom dress it seems pretty much impossible ... they are all like strapless and or are way revealing in not only hte front but back to ... i have till april... so i have a while but i've just kinda been looking and they are all strapless its so frustarting ... and i dont have time to make one or else i would i have hours of homework everynight im training almost every saturday to be a supervisor at this amusment park by my house ... and how im i going to fit time in for my family and friends and church stuff ... ya so if anyone knows a website or something that would be way helpfull

Just Google Modest Prom Dresses then click on I'm Feeling Lucky

By the way - why do you start the majority of your posts with the letter K? Also, this is a Forum, not text messaging - please spell your words out. This forum has a wonderful spell check program. You will need to download it unto your computer, but then you can use it almost anywhere. On your on-line email programs too and on forums that do not have spell check.

(Not sorry for the complaining)

Shameless plug for the store I work for - New York and Company. I buy all my clothes there. They have this this really sneaky marketing ploy, Most of their shirts are kindof low cut, and then they have these "bodyshapers" (tank tops with a built in bra) that you wear UNDER those low cut shirts.

But neways, I have no problem finding modest clothes. I'm 23, trendy, well dressed. I don't shop in the juniors department. If I did, I would have problems. But I don't, so I don't. And live in South Carolina, far far away from Mormon land. :D

I'm with Iggy on the spelling etc.

But as for a prom dress, the easiest fix I have found is to just ear something over it. Or else make your own. I did both. I went to prom 3 years.... The first year my mom made my dress, the second year *I* made my dress, and my last year we bought the dress and I wore a jacket over it. Let me see if I can dig up a picture......That was a few years ago.....

I had the same problem with prom dresses when I was in high school. I ended up having a seamstress make one for me. All I could find in the stores were these slinky, shimmery ones that were either strapless or spaghetti straps. For woman who are.....rather well endowed in the chest area like myself, you look REALLY funny in those because you can't wear a bra. Plus, I am not a size 2 so those dresses just look wrong on my shape. I wanted a prom dress that fits the full figured girl that was more Cinderella than clingy. I think my mom paid about $250 for the material and $175 for the seamstress to make it but it was gorgeous! I still have it in case I have to do anything formal again.

Just Google Modest Prom Dresses then click on I'm Feeling Lucky

By the way - why do you start the majority of your posts with the letter K? Also, this is a Forum, not text messaging - please spell your words out. This forum has a wonderful spell check program. You will need to download it unto your computer, but then you can use it almost anywhere. On your on-line email programs too and on forums that do not have spell check.

(Not sorry for the complaining)

Sorry about that. Thanks for pointing it out though i probably wouldnt have ever realized it .... my texting a lot is starting to shine through <_<

Modest clothing is in short demand these days. Trashy skank is in. I don't get it. Meijer store here in Michigan and walmart carry everyday cloths that are modest. No it is no Aripostle(sp) but is modest. I appreciate the fact they carry so many long shorts for summer. My boss orders most of my clothes for me. Modest yes...Trendy no...Love getting a new pair of shorts that fit and cover everything. My daughter wouldn't leave my house in some of the clothes the local girls here wear. There dads and moms need there hind ends kicked up around there shoulders. 2 cents

Modest clothing is in short demand these days. Trashy skank is in. I don't get it. My daughter wouldn't leave my house in some of the clothes the local girls here wear. There dads and moms need there hind ends kicked up around there shoulders. 2 cents

I agree with you 100%! I look at even some of the styles I see for little girls out there and the clothes are so trashy and slutty! There's no way any child of mine is going to wear something like that! My parents didn't allow me to dress like a whore and I am not going to allow my children to do that either.

On a positive note, I read that in Atlanta they finally have banned the overly baggy pants from schools! I wish they would do that everywhere. I hate seeing boys with their bums hanging out of the back of their pants.

Sagging Pants Measure Passes

I agree with you 100%! I look at even some of the styles I see for little girls out there and the clothes are so trashy and slutty! There's no way any child of mine is going to wear something like that! My parents didn't allow me to dress like a whore and I am not going to allow my children to do that either.

On a positive note, I read that in Atlanta they finally have banned the overly baggy pants from schools! I wish they would do that everywhere. I hate seeing boys with their bums hanging out of the back of their pants.

Sagging Pants Measure Passes

they've banned baggy clothes from my school ... but we dont have a problem with that its the guys that wear the skin tight pants that we have problems with ... a little tip for you guys that is not attractive