Family Problems

aruth5000

k so my dad has PTSD (sorry for you guys that dont know what that is i really dont feel like explaining) and lately its been getting the best of him ... it seems like my parents are constently fighting ... i always feel like i have to pick a side ... half the time i get so angry that i leave the house ...well a while back we had our tithing settelments my dad refused to go with us just cause my mom was going to be there ... sometimes i wonder goes through his head ... well anyways next week my parents had their temple recomend interview and same thing he refused to go ... it doesnt seem like things are getting better and they are always fighting over the stupidest! things ...well ya thats the story i was just wondering if anyone has some suggestion

I am very close with two different people with PTSD. Both of them have it under control though.

If you figure your dad's condition is a major factor to your family's stress, get him to see someone that will help him. Shrinks are not bad people. A good one will help him figure out how he can live with his own brain, and help him develop good coping mechanisms that will serve him throughout his life.

If you have one in your area, LDS Social Services is a WONDERFUL place to start.

So, in two words or less, how did he get his PTSD?

LM

I am very close with two different people with PTSD. Both of them have it under control though.

If you figure your dad's condition is a major factor to your family's stress, get him to see someone that will help him. Shrinks are not bad people. A good one will help him figure out how he can live with his own brain, and help him develop good coping mechanisms that will serve him throughout his life.

If you have one in your area, LDS Social Services is a WONDERFUL place to start.

So, in two words or less, how did he get his PTSD?

LM

he was in a war i dont remember which one but ya ..

the problem with a shirnk is we cant even get him to except the fact he has it hes in major denial and refuses to get help... well the bishop knows now about his problems ... so maybe he can help some

• 3 weeks later...

PTSD is Posttraumatic Stress Disorder that usually occurs after someone has gone through a life threatening event. Something like military service (war), natural disaster like a hurricane...sexual attack.

Maybe that's the reason. PTSD, when being worked through, can be very difficult for the individual and can cause a lot of tension and family conflict. It is an upheaval of working through the trauma. It makes them feel very unsafe and is usually designed to help them become desensitized to that experience in the here and now.

Hey girlie! Wow! I'm sorry to read that ya'll are going through so much upheaval right now! I think the thing for you to do is help your dad get the help he needs. But no "forcing" him to do anything..that will get you nowhere. Just maybe when he has an outburst or whatever, you could gently point it out to him that he hurt your feelings or this is the way you feel when he does this..kwim? I'm glad your bishop knows, he may be able to get through to your dad when you guys can't. But the absolutely best thing to do is to love your dad no matter what. Like Dr. T said, PTSD is a way for your dad to handle what happened to him in war-time. It will be something that he can get under control eventually and even if he can't... still love him to the best of your ability. Let him know that you love him and that you're not going anywhere. No matter what. You'll always be his daughter and hopefully both your parents will come to understand that you shouldn't be in the middle of their issues. Sorry this is turning in to a book. I'll stop now. Let me sum up... LOVE your dad and HELP your dad all that you can. good luck sweetie!