Technology to Improve Gasoline Mileage 50%?

Still_Small_Voice

I was just looking at website that I found in a Popular Mechanics magazine, March 2008. These people guarantee they can improve your gasoline mileage up to at least 50% with the technology they invented. Their technology breaks down fuel so it's burned more efficiently improving your gasoline mileage. They also claim automobile emissions are drastically decreased.

I don't know if it's legitimate or not, but I took some automotive classes in and the technology seems like it could possibly work in my mind. I wanted to get an auto technician to look at it and see what he thought.

The website is below. Look at the internet site and watch their video. Any opinions would be appreciated.

PICC

I was just looking at website that I found in a Popular Mechanics magazine, March 2008. These people guarantee they can improve your gasoline mileage up to at least 50% with the technology they invented. Their technology breaks down fuel so it's burned more efficiently improving your gasoline mileage. They also claim automobile emissions are drastically decreased.

I don't know if it's legitimate or not, but I took some automotive classes in and the technology seems like it could possibly work in my mind. I wanted to get an auto technician to look at it and see what he thought.

The website is below. Look at the internet site and watch their video. Any opinions would be appreciated.

PICC

I am sorry I did not look at the website - I have limited time for internet. In general for many years there have been claims to increase gas mileage. Currently the loss in efficiencies has more to do will mechanical and temperature loses. The other possibilities are in reducing wind friction and the weight of the vehicle. If these issues are not address – it is just another outlandish claim.

The Traveler

just looked thru the website, there is a big tadoo about hydrogen injection systems for diesel trucks, they are claiming less that 50% increase for heavy trucks, and i know a guy that ran one for 3 months and only saw an increase of .2 MPG, he went from 7.4 to 7.6, not worth the 10,000 instalation price, i wouldnt trust it, lke i said in the prevoiis post, if it acutally increased milage by 50% it would be the lead story on CNN

How do companies get away with this claiming to improve gasoline mileage dramatically when in reality increases are almost unnoticeable?

I hope the guy you know reported them to the Better Business Bureau.

the compnay paid him to test the product cause he hosts a radio show on XM

instead he just said the reuslts to an audience of 5 million

I am an ASE Certified Master Technician, as well as a Nissan Master Technician and Sterling Automobiles Silver (highest level) Technician. I have worked in the auto repair business for over 22 years as well as repairing farm pickup,trucks and equipment for 10 years before that. Plus I moonlight selling auto parts at a major nationwide retailer. I glanced through the site before becoming bored with it. A couple thoughts:

1: Why are the technicians who were so impressed with the product not named? Without names there is no way of knowing if these guys exist.

2: If these technicians do exist, why are only 2 of them ASE certified and only one of them is a Master Technician? ASE certification is the base level to be able to know if a technician knows anything at all about auto repair. And what's a #1 Grand Master Technician? Maybe Canada has that designation for Technicians, but I've never heard of it. When I think of a Grand Master I think of chess, or a magician.

3: If this stuff really worked, doesn't anyone think that one of the automakers would employ it in their cars? I know, people like to claim that automakers get together and determine what to give the people, but the fact is that if some auto exec thought he could get a leg up on the competition by introducing a new technology that worked and he could convince his customers to buy it, he would do it. Doubling the fuel efficiency without making major changes would kill the competition, and in an era when some automakers are losing billions of dollars a year, if it existed, and it worked, it would be on the market. I've been hearing about the 100mpg carburetor for decades but so far no one has broken into the warehouse where they are all stored and brought it out in public. I'm almost convinced the stories are mostly unfounded.

4: Yes, there is technology out there which does help your car, but for the most part, it is expensive, and the results across the board on the large market are inconclusive, modest, or false. Many times the gains are offset by the costs of buying or installing the fix. I think that some things work on some vehicles, but for the most part, and especially with newer vehicles, the fixes are mostly psychological. You think it works, so it does, even if the hard data doesn't support that conclusion.

I do know of one way to increase my gasoline mileage. I drive 60 miles per hour instead of 65 coming home from work. Keep your gasoline tank more than half way full. I get about 3 miles per gallon better mileage doing the above. That adds up after a while.