Why wouldn't the church look to help our own out first? After all, the bulk or the money for the system comes from the church members and their resources. The church's welfare system is designed to help us help ourselves. When we send out trucks of food, clothing and equipment to disaster areas, it doesn't come at the price of denying services to LDS church members, it is because we have a surplus that we can afford to send to help others without draining the system. If a bishop has two people sitting in front of him with the same degree of need but the resources to only help one, I would expect that he would help the tithe-paying member before he helps the non-member who only came to him because they heard the church was in the welfare business.

But that's just my opinion. I have been accused of being an unfeeling jerk here, so take my opinion for what it is.

I don't have a problem with looking after the members of your own church who have contributed so much to help others through sacrifice...i.e. fast offerings and such. Surely they should be looked after by that same system that they have contributed to when they find themselves in need.

Nah, I don't think badly of you for saying what you have said.

But, not everyone in New Orleans was Morman or could have been LDS that they helped there. And there probably are donation calls when emergency situations arise. I just don't think this is a fair statement.

But perhaps there are issues with being thought of as a 'welfare business' in my trying to locate that information on the net about how they do help many non-LDS members.

I'm not on welfare, I don't need welfare...I just have a picture of many yellowshirted Mormon volunteers helping out after the New Orleans disaster and being there when needed and I don't think it is fair to them. Am I off track?

Edit: Simultaneous posting with Pam - we both think you're right!!!

I have not seen it come down to helping one over the other, but I have seen my Bishop help non-members. Obviously, the ones who will receive help more often through the Bishop are members, because they are told about this option. Non-members would not really know unless they are familiar with the LDS church, or have some type of contact.

Its a fair statement because the church will always help the members first and does so every day of the year. They also do HUGE amounts of welfare work for non members too, during emergency situations and in every day needs. The welfare system in the church is not a dole or freebie so many in the church do not need or get it but those who do can have it freely. I know that people of other faiths in our community have been helped by our church just because they needed it. No one in the church will be denied help if they deserve it (not using the system to put it bluntly) and because of the excess that is available as needed, there is some extra for other purposes outside the church in philanthropic endeavors.

I came across the statement that, "LDS welfare seeks to help LDS members first."

Now I know that is a misrepresentation of things, but I lack the resources to refute the statement.

Can anyone give me some references?

Wanderer, go here: Provident Living Home, on the left click on Humanitarian Services. That should help you.

I think people are unaware of a lot of humanitarian aid which the church has given mainly because the church doesn't make a song and dance about it.

I agree, the Church doesn't advertise what they do- just like we, as members don't don ashes and sack cloth when we fast.

Are you confusing Humanitarian Aid with Church Welfare? The first is relief after a catastrophe; the second is short or long term support of a person or family.

When supplies go out following something like an earthquake, workers do not stand at the end of a truck with supplies in their hands, asking each recipient, "Are you LDS?" and if the reply is "No", tell them to go on without receiving anything. The aid is distributed without regard to religion.

The Church Welfare system is designed to help individuals and families who are unable to support themselves. While sometimes aid is given to nonmembers, its primary aim is for those within church membership. It is not uncommon for the able-bodied recipient to be asked to take on some duties along with their acceptance of help - such as helping to clean the church buildings, but that is up to the individual bishop. The counsel given is that a member in need should go to their own family first, then the church, then outside charities, then the government.

At least, that is my understanding.

I don't think we're so much muddling them as seeing them side by side because both come from the same source and members' fast offerings. We have had beggars coming to our ward for money and they have been refused money but offered other help such as a meal by the Bishop and one sister cut the hair and beard of a homeless man who often came.

I don't think we're so much muddling them as seeing them side by side because both come from the same source and members' fast offerings. We have had beggars coming to our ward for money and they have been refused money but offered other help such as a meal by the Bishop and one sister cut the hair and beard of a homeless man who often came.

As far as I have seen, the church will not give money to individuals. What the church does, is ask for the bill, rent, utilities, phone, medical etc. ect....and then write a check to pay the bill for the individual. If there is a need, then a food order can be issued for the Bishop's Storehouse.

I retired from The LDS Church Welfare organization in 1999. The welfare program was set up in 1930s to assist members and others during the depression. By receiving donations of food and other items to be available to bishops who could then assist individuals they determined needed to recieve it in the Lords way.

The Welfare program of the church is established on the principle of receive according to need and work according to ability, thus minimizing the dole system that is now the standard in our government. Generations of families have lived off government welfare.

Over the years the LDS welfare program has become worldwide with humatarian aid programs in all free countries and has opened many closed countries to aid. It has assisted in educational, medical, food, clothing, farming techniques and perpetual loan programs. Small loans to individuals who repay to allow additional loans to others.

The Bishop is the key to welfare assistance. He is the "Judge in Israel" who determins who will receive. Our area has appointed transient Bishops who assist travelers, homeless, and non members as they feel the need.:)

Slightly off topic, but: A welfare system that does NOT teach men to fish, but only gives them fish is not a blessing at all, it is a curse. The LDS system is designed only to make men fishers. There are a few that need long term assistance, but most are to become self sufficient. The welfare system in the U.S. has become a great curse on this people. It is a tragedy.

-a-train

as a Bishop I could help who I felt eeded help.....I could and did help non members......I could also call my stake pres and ask for him to get the Storehouse to donate 500.00 dollars in food to the local food pantry......I had ways to discern those who were traveling thru to find out if they really needed help or just trying to abuse the system....

As far as I have seen, the church will not give money to individuals. What the church does, is ask for the bill, rent, utilities, phone, medical etc. ect....and then write a check to pay the bill for the individual. If there is a need, then a food order can be issued for the Bishop's Storehouse.

the church will not give or loan cash....only assistance or commodities

Darrel: thanks for the history on it : )

A-Train: temporary solutions are just a pause in things I agree. Teaching people to fish is a hard one though.

I can't imagine trying to make those sorts of decisions - way hard.

Ummm Palerider: from what I do know of other organisations they don't give cash handouts either, for obvious reasons...food vouchers and boxes and cheaper grocery venders and such.