Just a lookin'

djthemej

[email protected]Hello,

First of all, I would like to introduced myself, my name is Delbert Ira Bighorse Sr.

from the great Navajo Nation, here in Cameron, Arizona.

Back in '63, I was first introduce to the LDS Church through the Indian Placement Program. I came into the program a young age (8years old). Boy was I scared at that time, here I am in strange place, strangers, far from home but luck would have it that I was placed with a nice family(the Caldwell's of Holladay). Stayed the school year then went home for the summer. Came back in the end of summer, boy, I wanted so much to see the Caldwells again but there was bad news awaiting me , their father had died during the summer.

I was placed with another family, the Long's. I stayed with them in Murray for the 9 years. I stayed with them, went to good school, went to church and we've grown to love and care for each other, and it is still the same to this day.

I went to church all these years even when I came back for the summer. The Church and the good public schools in Murray has help me greatly in my education and spiritually wise.

Right now, I am still in Cameron, enjoying my retirement from the Navajo Nation Police Department, spent 20 years as a police officer.

Am married but sad to say will be separated soon, I have five wonderful kids . 6 grandkids, so I guess life has treated me alright, some up and downs, but thats life for you.

I am also looking for old friends in Murray, I went to church at the 14th ward, near the Fashion Place Mall. So if anybody remembers me, please don't hesitate to contact me at:

[email protected]

Sure would appreciate any responsed.

Thanks for hearing me out, best wishes to all

Delbert Bighorse

A separation does not have to mean the end.

My husband and I were separated for two years before we got back together. For us it was a blessing. I was very prayerful, and I asked for help in knowing what to do to keep my family together, that way I would know that I did everything possible. I had to undergo a change and accept and follow the guidance of the Spirit even when I did not feel like it.

Welcome.

I do not know why but I always have had great love for the native Americans too... Navajoes been one of my most favorites... probably as that is one of the few that have been mentioned by name around here (Scandinavia) The indian languages are so interesting... they (some of them) remind me of my own language (finnish).

Are there any nettsides for indian languages?

I wonder if they use prepositions of endings... on the table or ... pöydällä

Hello and welcome to the website. I have never been to Arizona but have seen many beautiful photographs of the Grand Canyon. I hope you are able to track down some old friends via this site. I had a lifelong friend who was Shoshone. We were as close as sisters until her untimely death from a brain tumour. I have many Native American artefacts and decorations around our home.

Mailis,

Thanks for your comments, you're writing to a honest to true Navajo Indian, I'm full blooded, meaning that I have not other lineage, other than being Navajo.

You know that our language helped win the war with the Japanese during World War II, the Navajo Code Talkers used our language as a code, they could never break the code that was used.

Now days, the language is written , has a complete vocabulary. If you are really interested, just log onto any website and type in Navajo Language.

My last name is Bighorse, my greatgrandfather back in the 1800's use to travel alot up into Utah. During one of his excursions (raids), He raided Mormon settlers around Spanish Fork area. He use to steal big draft horses and take them back to Arizona. He apparently did this several times, bringing back those big horses.

So when he compiled all those horses, he became known as "Hosteen belinitazazie" that translated into english as "man with big horses".

Then around the early 1900's the US government came along and when they could get all the names straight or could'nt pronounce them, they began translating all the Navajo names into english, so they gave my grandfather his english name as "Gus Bighorse".

Just thought I would give you a little history lesson about me and how I got my last name.

djthemej

Mailis,

Thanks for your comments, you're writing to a honest to true Navajo Indian, I'm full blooded, meaning that I have not other lineage, other than being Navajo.

You know that our language helped win the war with the Japanese during World War II, the Navajo Code Talkers used our language as a code, they could never break the code that was used.

Now days, the language is written , has a complete vocabulary. If you are really interested, just log onto any website and type in Navajo Language.

My last name is Bighorse, my greatgrandfather back in the 1800's use to travel alot up into Utah. During one of his excursions (raids), He raided Mormon settlers around Spanish Fork area. He use to steal big draft horses and take them back to Arizona. He apparently did this several times, bringing back those big horses.

So when he compiled all those horses, he became known as "Hosteen belinitazazie" that translated into english as "man with big horses".

Then around the early 1900's the US government came along and when they could get all the names straight or could'nt pronounce them, they began translating all the Navajo names into english, so they gave my grandfather his english name as "Gus Bighorse".

Just thought I would give you a little history lesson about me and how I got my last name.

djthemej

WOW that was interesting, both the winnnig of the war and your father, thanks! I suppose you wrote that in Navajo.. the name... just wondering about the pronaunciation... here we usually say that english is written "a horse" but pronaunciation is : donckey... so diferent they are! Here we read excactly what we write... e is e not i (e is like the first sound in "a" leaving the e sound out UH:huh: )

I will gogle on the languages next week, when I get home to my computer... my moms is too slow...