Clinical Medical Trials

Aphrodite

Just wanted a bit of feedback from you all:-

Im seriously considering doing a clinical medical trial. The main motivation is money-you can get paid anywhere between 2-3,000 quid for a trial that lasts 3 months. The money would clear a big chunk of our debts in a relatively short space of time, for a very minimum amount of effort. It basically involves taking a drug, and having regular blood tests over a 3 month period. The last 2 days you are required to stay in a unit so they can check your blood more regularly. You get fed, and have entertainments like XBOX, Sky tv etc-bit like ahotel really but with nurses lol.

I have one big obstacle-my husband.

He is dead against it, he is worried something will go wrong. His reason for this is a year or so ago, some clinical trials at northwick park hospital in London went catastrophically wrong leaving one man in a coma and now disabled.

I obviously am aware there are some risks involved, but is 99% of the time inordinately safe. I mean, planes crash, but it doesnt stop us flying does it? Everthing in life involves some risk. Plus this is the only time a drug trial going wrong has ever made the news, so I can surmise its probably the only time its ever happened.

Its a difficult situation as while I want to respect Hs wishes, its my body and such an easy way to make money. Plus, I am well aware at how drug companies need people to trial drugs or else they will never be developed. The particular drug I would be trialling is one to help arthritis-it could save so many people years of agony and inactivity.

Has anyone ever done a clinical drug trial? If so what did their family think of it? My parents are very supportive and even fancy doing it themselves. But Rob is DEAD SET against it.

Just wondered what your thoughts were on this situation.

If your husband is dead set against it, then do not do it. Why cause undue martial strife?

With that said, my recommendation is to pray for guidance in what you should do, and that your husband to needs to pray about this as well. One of you will end up with an answer you won't like but whichever way the Spirit directs you know that it is the best for you and your family.

Guest Xzain

I would be very wary; while it probably won't happen it's very, very possible you could develop serious complications.

I would consider all other options for clearing debts before embarking on this venture- although, if you feel prompted by the spirit of the Lord to do so....

If you approach it with a feeling of prayerful reverence, you won't be led astray. Good luck!

Tell me more Moksha....how did your partner react? If you have one....

I dont want to cause marital strife, but this could be such a help for us. Where do you draw the line between what you want and what he wants? I already compromise for him in some areas, as he does for me. so..I find it hard to know what I should do in that sense.

Of course I could not do it, and our debt will drag on for years as it has already....its just so tempting!!!

Tell me more Moksha....how did your partner react? If you have one....

I was single for several of the drug trials. When I was married however, they did need a few "for certain safe" volunteers for a mouth swab test for HIV. It was nice getting the clean bill of health reports in the mail as well as checks for fifty buck each. Can't beat that.

Some drug trials are closed to women in child bearing age.

Aphrodite said:

"The particular drug I would be trialling is one to help arthritis-it could save so many people years of agony and inactivity."

You don't say that it is something that could help you be free from years of agony and inactivity.

Is it safe for us to assume that you do currently suffer from arthritis? Or is this just the next clinical trial on schedule? I know, I sound silly, why would you consider taking a drug for something you don't have? Just want to make sure of the facts.

Aphrodite said

". . . its my body and such an easy way to make money."

Where have I heard that line before?

I'm not sure if what I did was considered a 'clinical trial', but I did agree to be part of an ulcer study testing the effectiveness of two different types of medications. I'm reasonably certain I ended up with a placebo, because my ulcer had always responded quickly to medication, but I sat there and writhed in pain during the length of the trial.

I think of it as my little contribution to science. I don't think I would have done something that put my life in danger.

LM

Aphrodite said:

"The particular drug I would be trialling is one to help arthritis-it could save so many people years of agony and inactivity."

You don't say that it is something that could help you be free from years of agony and inactivity.

Is it safe for us to assume that you do currently suffer from arthritis? Or is this just the next clinical trial on schedule? I know, I sound silly, why would you consider taking a drug for something you don't have? Just want to make sure of the facts.

No I dont have arthritis. Why WOULDNT I trial a drug for something I dont have? It would be selfish to do it for only that reason. Arthritis is a crippling disease that brings misery to many. I care about these things, thats why alaska :). As a future nurse I am interested in helping in anything to stop horrible diseases. When you have seen and nursed many unpleasant conditions, you hate seeing people suffer, and if I can be a part of helping those conditions then all the better. ^_^

Then how do they test a drug on someone that doesn't have what they are testing it on? How would they be able to tell it is actually helping or hindering? I guess I'm confused on this.

You dont have to have the disease they are testing for to trial a drug. the very opposite, in fact, you need to be healthy. If I decide to go ahead, I will do more reasearch on it. But it is not an initial test to see if it works, it will have been through several tests already. The trial would be looking for how long the drug stays in your system, how well its absorbed, whether it needs to be administered by weight, that kind of thing. Its not the sort of trial where they test out a new drug on existing patients. The trials are not that like that. And they have already been trialled by humans before-drugs have to go through a rigorous testing process to ensure they're safe, involving many trials of the drug where they monitor different things each time-its not simply a case of, 'oh i took it and my pain is gone, therefore it works and we can market it'. Its far more complex. Thats why drugs that are developed take 10, sometimes 15 years or more before they can be marketed as they have so many tests to ensure thier safety. Ill see if I can find link to the unit i would be tested at.

Thank you for the explanation. I guess I'm just used to the trials they do here in the US. They are usually looking for people that have been diagnosed with the certain affliction for which they want to test.

I am not sure I would take any drug that would not make me feel better in same way.

It may sound selfish, but if you don't have your health then your life is compromised IMO. Before my father passed away, and he had terminal cancer, that is when they offered him to participate in a clinical trial. The way it worked is that some were given the real trial med combination and others a placebo.

Then how do they test a drug on someone that doesn't have what they are testing it on? How would they be able to tell it is actually helping or hindering? I guess I'm confused on this.

When I did the clinical trial for Naprosin, I had to verify that I had headaches once a month. I never did know if I was on Naprosin or a placebo. Since it was a double blind study, the doc didn't know either.