C.S. Lewis and Eternal Progression

I'm currently re-reading The Chronicals of Narnia, and am picking up on a lot more of the religious themes within it, especially several LDS themes.

While reading the talk I'll be basing my R.S. lesson off of this week, this quote stuck out to me:

"The path to eternal life is not on a plateau. Rather, it is an incline, ever onward and upward. Hence, ever-increasing spiritual understanding and energy are required to reach our destination."

Now, while Elder Hilbig is talking about our progression in this mortal life, it obviously reminded me of the part of The Last Battle, where those who were on the Right Side of Aslan went "onward and upward" to their reward (Heaven). I wonder if Brother Lewis had an understanding of Eternal Progression in Heaven. Ever-increasing spiritual understanding and energy to reach our final destination.

Read them!!! And then read some more C.S. Lewis. The Screwtape Letters would be a good place to go after Narnia. He is absolutely incredible. His profound spiritual understanding is so amazing in terms of LDS theology. What an inspired man. Ever notice how many time our Church leaders quote him? Just saw Prince Caspian this weekend and lost count of how many times I saw parallels with our theology. His work touches me so much.

I had a Stake President and Institute teacher who used to quote him all the time! Almost every lesson had at least one C.S. Lewis quote. That's why I refered to him as Brother Lewis in my original post. My Institute teacher always refered to him as that. :) I wonder if he ever met with any missionaries...

They're great books, Pam! (seven in all) They're grade school reading level, so they're a quick read too, although I'm taking my time this time, to try and glean as much from them as I can. :)

There ya go. Grade school level is the perfect level for me. :lol:

Guest tomk

My parents used to read the C of N to me when I was a kid.

The only thing I picked-up on was that Aslan was Christ.

When I got a chance to watch the movie, it evoked a very strong spiritual and emotional response inside me. I wept. I loved the Lion's face. His serenity. I felt the Savior's love and power flowing from the Lion.

I download books sometimes for my MP3 player (ipod, if you're Apple oriented). It's a little slow for getting through books (takes longer to be read out loud)..but it's great for multi-tasking. I keep meaning to get an attachment thing to plug my MP3 player into the car cd player for such things.

C S Lewis's Narnia series is an old favourite. I came across it as a 6 year old...my religion teacher used to read it to us in class. It's always worth re-reading.

I download books sometimes for my MP3 player (ipod, if you're Apple oriented). It's a little slow for getting through books (takes longer to be read out loud)..but it's great for multi-tasking. I keep meaning to get an attachment thing to plug my MP3 player into the car cd player for such things.

I have the book of Mosiah on my Zune (Microsoft's knockoff of an iPod), as well as the Conference talk I'm doing my lesson from next Sunday. I listen to a couple of chapters, and the talk, while working out at the gym. No worrying about my toddlers trying to grab the book/magazine from me and ripping the pages! :D

Multi-tasking is my forte. ;)

I can only add agreement to the wonderful works of CS Lewis. If you can get a copy of The Great Divorce, I'd be interested to know how you saw it from the LDS perspective. (Not to give too much away, but the book has nothing to do with marriage!)

He also wrote a science fiction trilogy (Perelandra). I still have a vivid image of the protagonist speaking to others of God's creation on other worlds, and their awareness of what the stain of sin smells like on humans.

Guest tomk

My first time through, as a teenager, the Aslan/Christ theme was the only one I picked up on too, but now I'm picking up on all sorts of themes! Although The Horse and His Boy still has me stumped. :lol:

The only one I remember anymore is the L the W and the W.

Is / Has Prince Caspian come out?

How true does it keep to the book?

I think it's awesome! Not 100% faithful to the book, but I feel it is quite so in terms of overall message - I just am so grateful that someone is making movies of these books, and really helping to make them accessible to this generation - especially to offer an alternative to the "Golden Compass" series. My 15 year old son liked it better than the first one; more action! I just cry like an idiot when I watch these movies because of the truth in them and the Aslan/Christ imagery.

Ahhh, a thread about my favorite author!

I read the Chronicles of Narnia when I was young. I cried when I finished the last book in the series. Those books and characters stuck with me throughout my life. Something about the story just touched me.

It was not until after I joined the Church that I began reading C.S. Lewis' other writings. WOW. I then re-read the Chronicles of Narnia. Oh man. As awesome as that series was when I was young, it was even better with my new spiritual eyes (I converted to the Church when I was 24).

I just have this unshakable feeling that he was one of the great and nobles ones from the pre-mortal world. He may not have found the Church while alive, but he was so spiritual and on point with so much of our own doctrine and principles...though he did not know it.

Did you know that he is the most quoted non-member within our Church? He may be the most quoted altogether, but I am not sure about that.

Books I own by C.S. Lewis:

Chronicles of Narnia (5 out of 5 stars)

Mere Christianity (5 out of 5 stars)

The Great Divorce (3 out of 5 stars)

The Screwtape Letters (5 out of 5 stars)

A Grief Observed --- have not read it yet

The Joyful Christian --- have not read it yet

Miracles --- have not read it yet

The Problem of Pain --- have not read it yet

The Weight of Glory --- have not read it yet

---------------------------------------------------

Listener,

I liked The Great Divorce...and I did pick up on much that parallels the Church...as with much of the writings of Lewis. However, I gave it 3 stars out of 5, because it was a story about what happens after death. Although I got the point and message of the book, some elements of the story are not exactly as I picture our beliefs manifested into a story. Still, that is just my humble opinion. The book is still VERY much worth reading, and he still hits the nail on the head more often than not...especially for somebody who was never a member of our Church.

I have a Book Reading Journal. I have notes on all the books above that I have read. I have made notes and highlighted in every book by Lewis that I have read. He is interesting, insightful, witty, humorous, spiritual, and wise. I look forward to meeting him in the Spirit World. Of course, I may not be worthy to be near somebody like him...but I will still try!!!! LOL LOL

I may be wrong, but I think he was not aligned with any Church for most of his life...until he joined the Church of England. I could be wrong.

If anybody wants to exchange notes on any of the above books that we have read in common, please let me know!

Amen, amen, and amen, True Grits! C.S.Lewis is also my very favorite. I have/have read several of his books and am currently rereading the Chronicles and The Great Divorce. I'm with you. So look forward to meeting him someday! What a mind and spirit. I love his description of a circular notion of time - can't remember which of his books it was in, does that ring a bell? So parallels with our understanding of all time being concurrently before the Lord - endless and eternal - would love to talk more about them as I read! What do you think of the movies?

Well, I am disappointed...but I understand why they did what they did.

Those who have read the Chronicles of Narnia, know that the series actually begins with The Magician's Nephew. It all begins with Digory and then Polly.

Now, that would have been a GREAT movie. Some of the scenes from The Magician's Nephew would have been awesome to see on the big screen. Also, I find such a depth of spirituality in the first book. Aslan is so strong and beautiful in this book. I love it when he calls the children daughters of Even and sons of Adam. Also, isn't this the book in which we can "see" a world being born? How beautiful is that?

Oh, and what about The Last Battle?

How about the ending? It has been mentioned within this thread about all needing to move upward and inward. Did you also notice how C.S. Lewis laid out "Heaven"? Each world that had been created had their own space in heaven, and though they were separated (like great continents) they were connected.

I think of:

Moses 1: 33, 35

33 And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten.

• • •

35 But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them.

How about the very last page of the very last book in the Chronicles of Narnia?

The Last Battle, page 228, C.S. Lewis:

"...The dream is ended: This is the morning."

(I think of the morning of the first resurrection...see the scripture below)

Mosiah 18: 9

9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

The Last Battle, page 228, C.S. Lewis:

"And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this is the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on forever: in which every chapter is better that the one before."

How many times in the scriptures do we read of something similar to, "...but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them." ? There have been many times in the scriptures where there was more, but the person writing the account could write no more. Maybe there was not enough space on the plates or parchment, or maybe the Spirit directed them to write no more.

Truly our life on earth is merely a chapter in a great book. However, I believe that the first chapter was the pre-mortal world. The second chapter is our life on earth. The next chapter will be the return of Christ and the ushering in of the millenium. After that will come the chapter on the Great and Final Judgement, and then so on and so on until infinity.

C.S. Lewis was so close. What a beautiful testimony that man had. His books are truly worth reading. It really is his testimony and love of Christ that shines through in his writing. Yes, he had skill and talent to write, but without the strong testimony and spirit that he had it would not be nearly as powerful as it is. What a legacy.

I have always wanted to write, but compared to him and many of the other General Authorities and members of the Church, nothing I could ever write would be as magnificent or powerful, or leave such a lasting legacy.

So, I content myself in merely reading the works of others!