Visiting Salt Lake City

skalenfehl

Today my wife took me to Salt Lake City for a Father's Day retreat. It's about an hour drive, so going to SLC occasionally is a treat for me. I've always enjoyed visiting Temple Square and also the Gateway shopping center. I should note that my wife bought the latest Journey Revelation CD/DVD set and wow! I was blown away. I wasn't expecting it to be this good but their new lead singer does Journey justice.

Back to my day. We arrived late in the morning and there was a big fair sponsored by an adoption agency where lots of sidewalk chalk artists competed in a friendly contest of art. Lots of wonderful talent was displayed. We walked around the Gateway plaza, which was bustling with people, artists, vendors, a band and more. It was fun. Then we walked a few blocks east to Temple Square. I never get tired of visiting it or the church museum of history. I took tons of pictures. Here are a few:

Entrance to the Church History Museum:

Posted Image

There are two levels of so many historical artifacts, artwork, information and so much more. I'll only post a few that interested me and a beautiful quilt that my wife loved:

This is a replica of a section of the roof system of the first Conference Center:

Posted Image

Some history about punctuation of the Book of Mormon. I took these because I remember a thread about this very topic:

Posted Image

Posted Image

A very detailed quilt. There are tiny squares that are sewn together to make up the "picture frame":

Posted Image

After about an hour we made our way across the street to Temple Square.

Assembly Hall:

Posted Image

Salt Lake City Temple:

Posted Image

We visited the visitor's center and walked through paths and gardenscapes between the Temple Square and the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to the East. It is very beautiful and peaceful. We entered the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and watched a very touching movie about Joseph Smith's childhood, his life and the Restoration of the church. It is shown all day with free admission. Bring Kleenex! This is a must see.

(cont.)

Edited by skalenfehl

After the movie we went to the New Conference Center across the street to the North of Temple Square. I finally got to tour the roof of the Conference Center. I've been wanting to do this since it opened!

Front:

Posted Image

Back:

Posted Image

Main Foyer/Hall:

Posted Image

Inside (Sorry it's so dark. It's very big inside. If you could see the seats under the large pipe organ you could see the top center seat just to the left. I sat in that seat once as a member of the Priesthood Choir (base voice) for Priesthood Session of General Conference a year ago or so. That was a wonderful experience:

Posted Image

Finally the roof!

Stepping out onto the roof:

Posted Image

Walking north towards the fountain:

Posted Image

The fountain:

Posted Image

The fountain sits 105 feet directly above the pulpit:

Posted Image

(cont.)

Today my wife took me to Salt Lake City for a Father's Day retreat. Back to my day. . . . I never get tired of visiting it or the church museum of history. I took tons of pictures. Here are a few:

A very detailed quilt. There are tiny squares that are sewn together to make up the "picture frame":

Posted Image

After about an hour we made our way across the street to Temple Square.

I LOVE THAT QUILT!

I also love the Church's museum. In fact, between that and The Daughters of the Utah Pioneers' museum, I would be happy if I died in either one.

Those are fabulous pictures Ska.

The only thing I don't care for at the Museum is some of the artwork. That is why I LOVE THAT QUILT!

Elphaba

To the west of the fountain is a two acre "field" where flowers change colors throughout the summer The field seems to just end with buildings on the horizon:

Posted Image

On the South side of the roof facing South towards Temple Square. To the East of Temple Square is the Joseph Smith Memorial building (large white building) where my wife and I saw the movie:

Posted Image

The Salt Lake City Temple:

Posted Image

The Tabernacle. The roof is quite the architectural wonder. I posted a picture above of a replica section of the truss system:

Posted Image

Another view of the roof facing North West-ish:

Posted Image

Overlooking the entry area to the west:

Posted Image

Another:

Posted Image

Here's another shot from Main street facing North. Main Street used to go straight through, Northward and Southward, but it was closed off to connect Temple Square with the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (right) with beautiful gardens, fountains, walkways, and trees/flower beds:

Posted Image

(cont.)

Edited by skalenfehl

We walked back to the Gateway and ate at Tucano's. It's a Brazilian grill and the food is so dang good! The salad bar has the freshest greens, fruits, veggies, soups and more. There are servers that walk around with skewers of all kinds of meats, grilled, and glazed with different seasonings and sauces, also shish kebabs of chopped and seasoned vegetables and also fresh grilled pineapples. I'm drooling again just thinking about it:

Posted Image

Here are just a few of the sidewalk chalk artworks:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was a very enjoyable and memorable day. I finally got to visit the roof top of the General Conference Center and got to see the movie about the restoration of the church. I couldn't have gotten a better Father's Day present. :)

Edited by skalenfehl

Elphaba, that quilt was amazing. Unfortunately the rest turned out blurry because my camera is not the greatest, especially with indoor lighting and poor zoom quality, but here's another one for you. The tiny squares are individually sewn or stitched or something. I can't remember the word my wife used. Selvedge?

Posted Image

Skalenfehl,

Just wanted to touch on your comments about the new lead singer in the group Journey.

I was watching the 'Sunday Morning' program a few weeks ago, and part of their program was about the group 'Journey' and their new lead singer.

Neal Schon, the groups lead guitarist had been browsing on Youtube when he came across the singer they have now aquired. Schon said that he was blown away by his voice and had to get ahold of this man through whatever means possible--Anyway, he did get ahold of him after a time and the rest is history, he immediatley became the new lead singer.

His native country is the Phillipines and if memory serves me right, their Father had abandoned the family, so it was just him, his Mother and some siblings.

They were dirt poor and it was all they could do to eat and survive. His Mother had always ecouraged him throughout his life with his music and God-given talent-- I can't remember if his Mother has passed or not, but during the interview he broke down in tears about his Mother and his great love for her.

I can't remember the Gentelmans name, but a great story. His voice is almost identical to that of Steve Perry's.

I'm sure when he sings 'Don't Stop Believing' possibly has a great meaning for him.

Great pics, and glad you had a great Fathers Day!

HB

His name is Arnel Pineda. I've followed him on Youtube for almost a year now. He has covered a lot of songs by Journey, Cheep Trick, Heart, and more. He's got a really good voice and very strong lungs, which makes him ideal to follow in Steve Perry's footsteps. He sounds almost like Steve, but with a nice edge in his voice. I've been very impressed with him and was glad to see him live such a dream. By the way, the band that he performed with before Neal discovered him is called "The Zoo".

Elphaba, that quilt was amazing. Unfortunately the rest turned out blurry because my camera is not the greatest, especially with indoor lighting and poor zoom quality, but here's another one for you. The tiny squares are individually sewn or stitched or something. I can't remember the word my wife used. Selvedge?

Actually the tiny squares are embroidered.

I used to design quilting books, including illustrations of each individual step. But I have never actually made a quilt. :P

I think your camera did a wonderful job!

Elphaba

Elphaba are any of your books available online? My wife loves to quilt. I just asked her and she said those small squares were "pieced", whatever that means. Not sure if the obvious is accurate. :P

PC, It's really nice at Temple Square. There are so many places to walk through outdoors. All the gardens, walkways, fountains, etc. You could use a whole memory chip just taking pictures of everything outside. I didn't have enough time to visit inside the Assembly Hall, but I've been there before. The architecture is amazing and when the choir performs, it's very inspiring. There are two visitors centers at Temple Square, the North and the South ones. I also recommend going across the way and visiting the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and watching the movie. Then there's the Beehive House, where Brigham Young lived. All the door knobs are placed low on the doors. Brigham Young loved children and believed they should have easy access to all the entries. There's a lot to see and experience. I love it at night, too, especially at Christmas time when there are millions of lights on all the trees and landscape and the Choir is singing Christmas music.

Elphaba are any of your books available online?

Why, yes they are. In fact, they can all be purchased for under a dollar! How depressing is that?

The most popular, and successful book is this one:

Small Quilts

Posted Image

Vanessa-Ann's Living With Quilts

I am most proud of this book's design, which was my responsibility. Who cares about the actual quilts?

Stringing Along

This quilt designer was, in my opinion, the most talented artist in the company.

There are more, but I can't for the life of me remember the names, including one I really poured my heart and soul into. bleh

I just asked her and she said those small squares were "pieced", whatever that means.

She and I are talking about two different parts of the quilt.

She is talking about the various fabrics used to make squares, though I'm not sure which part of the quilt she's referring to. However, she is correct they are pieced together.

I was talking about the square designs made only from off-white thread. This part is embroidered.

I love it at night, too, especially at Christmas time when there are millions of lights on all the trees and landscape and the Choir is singing Christmas music.

I could tell you about my experience with the Choir this last Christmas.

But then I'd want to kill someone who knows why. :P:p:p

Elphaba

• 3 weeks later...

I visited Temple Square twice already and the last time I went I saw for the first time in my life tiny snowflakes while I was waiting to get into the tabernacle organ. Salt Lake City its a beautiful place to live and I hoping to move to SLC someday. thanks for letting us see those beautiful pictures.

Thanks for posting these pictures. I would love to get up tot he roof of the Conf. Center again. When I was serving in the Young Women we were lucky enough to go up and help plant a section of the roof. I love plants and gardening so it would be fun to go check it out now. :)

Really awesome photos! I just took my kids to the Lion House and Beehive house right there in SLC. They had never seen them before. We were so amazed at the size of the shoes the girls wore. SOOO tiny! And hadn't realized how much of an entertainer Brigham was. He was always hosting some important person and he created his home accordingly. He even had a family store where all of his extended family could come and get supplies and goods. Can't remember if they had to pay or if it was like a bishop's storehouse type concept. Really astonishing how industrious this man was and the culture of hard work and resourcefulness he set in motion.

• 1 month later...