passover and sacrament

rosie321

I was asked a question that has really stumped me. I'm hoping somebody can help me find an answer.

Here's my summed up background understanding on the matter.

*Passover was something required forever to remember the passing over the death angel over the Isrealites in the O.T. It is known as the feast of the unleavened bread.

*Sacrament is the way in which we remember it now

The question was.....If passover is the feast of the unleavened bread then why do we use leavened bread in the sacrament meetings to remember it? Shouldn't we always be using unleavened bread to remember?

I know the devil can be in the details sometimes but... I thought they raised a good question and would love to know the answer.

Does anyone know where to find the answers to this question or have some ideas?

I was asked a question that has really stumped me. I'm hoping somebody can help me find an answer.

*Passover was something required forever to remember the passing over the death angel over the Isrealites in the O.T. It is known as the feast of the unleavened bread.

The question was.....If passover is the feast of the unleavened bread then why do we use leavened bread in the sacrament meetings to remember it? Shouldn't we always be using unleavened bread to remember?

I know the devil can be in the details sometimes but... I thought they raised a good question and would love to know the answer.

There are many symbols related in bread. For example: Jesus was the bread of life. Not only was the Passover something to remember in the past but also a type and shadow of things to come. The reason to remember passover is to be ready for something G-d has planned in the furure. Likewish the sacrament - not only do we remember the "passing" of death or the angel of death but we look forward to that feast when Christ returns. Because the saints of the Last Days are to prepair differently for the "gathering" than the Jews of the Last Days our covenant symbols are different.

The Traveler

Well, to answer your question simply, your summed up background understanding is... flawed :)

The Sacrament has absolutely no relation whatsoever to the Passoever. The passover, as you stated, is a ritual feast in rememberance of the Angel of Death passing over Israel during the last days of their bondage to Egypt. The Sacrament is a ritual in rememberance of Christ's atonement in Gethsemane, his death on the cross, and his resurrection on the 3rd day.

There is ample evidence that early (1st and 2nd century) Christians continued to celebrate the passover, especially those who were Jewish converts to Christianity. Those same Jewish converts would celebrate Hanukkah and Yom Kippur as well. Christ himself was celebrating Passover when he (re?) instituted the Sacrament with his Apostles. There is even circumstantial evidence that the Sacrament was practiced by the ancient Patriarchs (Abraham, Isaac etc).

But as to why we use leavened bread for the Sacrament.... convenience I suppose:

"For, behold, I say unto you, that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory—remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins." ( Doctrine and Covenants 27: 2 )

Yes, I was going to suggest what puf already offered.

The Sacrament replaced Animal Sacrifice, not Passover. Passover was instituted when the sacrificial lamb's blood was put on the door frames and they were then passed over by death. The blood of the animal they spilled represented the blood of Christ, and if applied correctly would yield forgiveness. So, the Passover was a way for them to remember the purpose of the blood during the sacrifices they were already performing, which was a symbol of the Savior of the world.

The Animal Sacrifice was instituted with Adam, not Moses.

The Sacrament has absolutely no relation whatsoever to the Passoever.

The Sacrament replaced Animal Sacrifice, not Passover.

LDS.org offers several sources that refute both of these claims.

“Lesson 13: Bondage, Passover, and Exodus,” Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual, 56

At the Last Supper, the Savior instituted the sacrament in place of the Passover (Matthew 26:19, 26–28).

Elder Howard W. Hunter taught that at the Passover meal that is now known as the Last Supper, “the bread and wine, rather than the animals and herbs, [became] emblems of the great Lamb’s body and blood, emblems to be eaten and drunk reverently and in remembrance of him forever.

“In this simple but impressive manner the Savior instituted the ordinance now known as the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. With the suffering of Gethsemane, the sacrifice of Calvary, and the resurrection from a garden tomb, Jesus fulfilled the ancient law and ushered in a new dispensation based on a higher, holier understanding of the law of sacrifice. No more would men be required to offer the firstborn lamb from their flock, because the Firstborn of God had come to offer himself as an ‘infinite and eternal sacrifice’ ” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1985, 22

William O. Nelson, “Symbols from the Scriptures That Testify of Christ,” Ensign, Jun 1973, 25

The Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. Following the Savior’s commemoration of the Passover supper, he instituted the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper. This ordinance was to be done “in remembrance of me.” President John Taylor has written:

“… the two ceremonies [the Passover and the sacrament of the Lord’s Supper] centered in Him, He was the embodiment of both, He was the Being provided before the foundation of the earth, and prophecied [sic] of by men of God throughout all the preceding ages. … Thus this act [the institution of the sacrament] was the great connecting link between the past and the future; thus He fulfilled the law, met the demands of justice, and obeyed the requirements of His Heavenly Father, although laboring under the weight of the sins of the world, and the terrible expiation which He had to make, when, sweating great drops of blood, He cried: ‘Father, if it be possible let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not my will but thine be done. …’ ” (The Mediation and Atonement, pp. 125–26.)

The sacrament thus becomes our type and symbol that we “may witness unto the Father that ye do always remember me,” with the promise that “if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.” (3 Ne. 18:11.)

Terry W. Treseder, “Passover Promises Fulfilled in the Last Supper,” Tambuli, Mar 1991, 13

The Last Supper was not only outstanding as a new sacrament. It was also the fulfillment of more than a thousand years of promises repeated and prayed for every year during the Passover service since the days of Israel’s wandering in the wilderness. The more we understand and appreciate the Passover service as the Jews observed it in Jesus’ day, the more deeply we can understand our sacramental covenants and marvel anew at the infinite love and patience of our Brother, the Lord Jesus Christ.

LM

OK I've been doing some more research and I'll concede the point that the Sacrament and the Passover are related - especially in the atonement (blood of the Lamb) symbology. As Wiki says: "Additionally, the New Testament relates that Christ's Last Supper was a Passover seder, but whether it was a first night or last (seventh) night seder is not clear."

However, Wiki goes on to say: "The latter seems more likely and it is known that the first Easter celebrations, by Jews who believed Yeshua Ben-Yosef to be the Messiah, were simply tacked on to the end of regular Passover celebrations." Which reaffirms my statement above that early Christians (Jewish converts) continued to celebrate Passover. While the Lord's Supper was originally done during Passover and incorporated several important themes from the Passover ritual, our LDS theology is very clear that the Sacrament was instituted to replace animal sacrifice (fulfilling the Law of Moses).

:edit:

It may be plausible to consider the Passover to be part of the Law of Moses, and thus the Passover would be "fulfilled" by the Atonement and would no longer be necessary. But I've got a lot of pride and hate admitting I'm wrong, so it could take a little while (and more research) to draw such a conclusion.

Edited by puf_the_majic_dragon

It was my understanding that the Passover meal was a celebration of the blood of the lamb that led to them being passed over by death and set free. I was not aware that there were any Covenants, or renewal of Covenants, during the Passover meal. I thought the Covenants, and renewing of Covenants, were done in the sacrificial offerings. Please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

This is why I believe the Sacrament, instituted by the Savior as an ordinance whereby we renew promises we make with God, replaced animal sacrifice.

From the time of Adam up until Moses, there was no Passover. How did they renew their covenants?

I'm not sure the writers in your quotes are speaking in the same specific terms as we are in this thread. They are saying that, just like animal sacrifice (which the Passover was related to) was done away because there was to be no more shedding of blood. The Passover was done away because the shedding of blood was done away, and we needed a better way to remember Christ more specifically, who was the Great and Last Sacrifice. Thus He instituted an ordinance where we can renew covenants.

Instead of merely a ritual celebration of the blood of the lamb that caused them to be passed over, Christ turned it into an Ordinance where actual Covenants are renewed... the New and Everlasting Covenant.

So, I think we (puf and I) are saying the same thing as those quotes, we were just relating the making and renewing of Covenants, and not just the celebration meal itself.

The Sacrament replaces the renewing of Covenants that were found in animal sacrifice as far back as Adam. Since the Sacrament replaces animal sacrifice, the Passover meal in rememberance of the slain lamb's blood over the door could no longer be celebrated, because there was to be no more slaying of lambs. Hence, no place to get the blood from.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Justice

The Atonement of Jesus Christ was in fulfilment of the law of Moses along with many of it's rituals and observances. The law of Moses was given to point towards and to prepare for the coming of the Messiah (2 Ne. 25:24-30).

But another thing that was done away with by the Atonement of Jesus Christ, was sacrifice by the shedding of blood, Christ being the great and last sacrifice; the Lamb of God (Alma 34:10-14). Though these ritualistic sacrifices were performed under the law of Moses, the law of sacrifice was instituted during the days of Adam (Moses 5:5-7).

Under the law of Moses, the offerings and sacrifices were administered by the Aaronic priesthood under the direction of the Aaronic High Priest, who was a firstborn male descendant of Aaron. The priests and the levites each carried out their duties in preparing the sacrifices and offerings brought by the people to the tabernacle (and temple later).

After the Atonement and the institution of the Sacrament, the Aaronic priesthood continued to officiate over the offerings and sacrifices of the people under the direction of the Bishop of a congregation; who stands in the office of the Aaronic High Priest. The priests and levites (teachers and deacons) administer the Sacrament. They perform in the exact same role as they did during the law of Moses, except instead of animal sacrifices and offerings, the Saints bring to the altar an offering of a broken heart and a contrite spirit. This ordinance is done in rememberance of the Lamb of God, and his Atonement, and it renews the covenants we make at baptism. (2 Ne. 9:20)

The Sacrament covers a lot of ground actually, and is a most sacred ordinance of the restored Church of Jesus Christ. The Aaronic priesthood has been restored, and so has the Melchizedek priesthood. A literal male descendant of Aaron has a right to the office of bishop, if he is called and worthy, but a high priest after the order of Melchizedek can hold this office as well (D&C 106:16-17). Which is the case in most if not all congregations to date (as far as I know).

Regards,

Vanhin

A literal male descendant of Aaron has a right to the office of bishop, if he is called and worthy, but a high priest after the order of Melchizedek can hold this office as well (D&C 106:16-17). Which is the case in most if not all congregations to date (as far as I know).

Regards,

Vanhin

I imagine that Sorenson Reseach or Intermountain Health Care could easily test for the Cohen gene. Don't think you would find many though, since many US Mormons ancestors came from Western and Northern Europe.

My ancestors came from England. My DNA is shared with oodles of people in the Middle East. Ashkenazi Jews, Iranians, Saudi Arabians.

DNA is fascinating, and can tell us many interesting things. But quite often it's quite useless for what we want it to do.

That could almost be taken the wrong way. hahahaha :eek::P

Guest HEthePrimate

There used to be a young lady in my ward who had converted from Judaism. One year around Passover, she mentioned that it would be nice to use matzos for the sacrament that one Sunday. I thought it was a cool idea, but the bishop didn't go for it. It doesn't really matter one way or the other. What matters is remembering the Savior and what he did for us.