First Black Bishop is from Delaware

Faith files: African-American named Dover Mormon bishop | delawareonline | The News Journal

This new article is about the first black person called to be a bishop in the Church.

I realize I posted the link, and am now going to look like an idiot. But I wish the Church did not highlight issues about its black members.

In fact, though I am conflicted about this, I question the need for a LDS website devoted to the Church's black members, as well as the Church's history with minorities. I realize this is not going to make sense to many members, but I believe the more focus put on the black members, the more they have to explain why they are members of a "racist Church," to outsiders.

Perhaps it's too early to shut the particular website down, and I admit, I visit there often for its historical information. So, I don't know a good placre for it to go, as it IS part of the Church's history.

I just believe news stories, like the one linked here, only perpetuate the mind set that "Mormons are racist." Bringing attention to "the first black in the church who "_________" is, IMO, belitting to the Church black members.

I realize in one way it is a big deal. But in another, it's not been a big deal for thirty years. Why not keep it that way?

Elphaba

I just read the article again, and think I was hasty in my post above. There are no Church authorities quoted, and until I see otherwise, then I think these authorities are doing a good thing by not making a big deal out of the first black bishop.

It is just a feature story where it seems the bishop is the only person referenced.

So, my bad about the story. I stand by my opinion though.

Elphaba

Being a member of the Church for the past decade and being Black and currently serving as a member of the Bishopric (First Counselor), I perhaps view this story in a different light. First of all, please understand that this brother is the first Black Bishop to lead a Delaware congregation for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but he is not the first Black bishop of the Church. Brother Joseph Freeman, who currently resides in Utah, was the first Black to be ordained to the Priesthood after the 1978 Revelation and he also served as a Bishop for a time.

Now, as far as the organization kown as Genesis, I personally feel that it serves a very worthwhile purpose for both Black and White members of the Church. You may be interested in knowing that President Thomas S. Monson was one of the people that was very instrumental in getting that organization started. In fact, it was he (then Elder Thomas S. Monson) who was a part of the sealing ordinances in the Salt Lake Temple for Brother Joseph Freeman and his family. Further, there are several White members that are a large part of the organization Genesis. I am a friend and have email contact with one of them. She is the author and producer of the movie "Jane Manning James: Your Sister In The Gospel" which is based on the true story of a Black sister who was a member of the Church and lived for a time with the Prohet Joseph Smith and Emma. She personally knew every Prophet from Joseph Smith to Joseph F. Smith and in fact, Joseph F. Smith spoke at her funeral. Now, I ask you, how many members have ever heard of Brother Joseph Freeman, or Jane Manning James for that matter? In my opinion the Genesis organization is necessary in teaching both Black and White members about the Black history of the Church and the fact that there were indeed many Black pioneers that played a significant role in the early Church. Unfortunately, you will not learn these facts in any of our regular Sunday meetings. I personally feel that these facts are equally important for all members to know,

As far as the 30 year celebration of the 1978 revelation, there again I take a different stand. As a Black member, this is a very significant event in the history of the Church. Think of all of the Black males that were denied holding the Priesthood even though they were worthy to do so. To finally be told that the Lord has spoken and now all worthy males, regardless of race, could now hold the Priesthood was indeed a reason to celebrate. In a sense, I believe that Revelation helped to ease some of the preconceptions by Blacks that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was prejudice against its Black members. Again, in my humble opinion, a reason to celebrate.Keep in mind as well that Blacks did hold the Priesthood during the days of the Prophet Joseph Smith. One name that comes to mind is Elija Abel.

The Lord knows my true heart and intentions so please understand that as a Black member it is sometimes refreshing to hear about the Black pioneer heritage instead of just hearing about -- for lack of a better way to put it -- the White history of the Church. Be honest and try to imagine if you were a Black member. How would you truly feel about all of this? This is the Lord's Church. We are all His children -- Red, Yellow, Black, or White -- we are all precious in His sight. Therefore, we should have a harmonious balance of learning about and from each other. Let us come together and reason together says the Lord. Personally, I would love to see a fireside about Black Mormon pioneers and their role in the Church. I think that it would be an eye opener and a great learning experience for all members.

Finally, the website that you refer to Why This Web Site :: Blacklds.org in my humble opinion is another outreach in educating the entire membership pf the Church. I personally don't see it as trying to make the Black members stand out in any way. You may also be interested in knowing that the site was originally started by two White members (husband and wife) of the Church.

I hope some of my rambling makes sense. I love all of my Brothers and Sisters. Not a single one of them is more important than another regardless of race. We are all members of one family and we need each other. There is so much that we can learn from one another. Again, the Lord says, LET US COME TOGETHER AND REASON TOGETHER.

Edited by KeithLBrown
Corrections

Keith,

Well, I guess you showed me! :P

Like I said, I am conflicted about the black.lds website. I do think it serves a function that you can find no where else.

Perhaps a day will come when it is no longer necessary? Maybe the day will come when all members know about Elijah, though if you were to put that question to a number of members, their answer would be: "I don't need to know about Elijah Able to have a testimony." Which is true. But I see a concerted effort by some to de-emphasize the Church's history.

I believe this is impossible as the Church IS its history, from the First Vision forward.

Anyway, I appreciate your post, and feel very small next to it, as you obviously know the situation much better than I.

By the way, Jane Manning James is absolutely my FAVORITE pioneer. I will always remember the first time I read about her, and her extraordinary life, even though she was denied that which she wished for most.

Her story of walking from Ohio to Nauvoo, IMO, should be taught to every Church member, as there are not many examples as profound as hers.

I also get choked up when I read the story of how, when she finally made it to Nauvoo, the people there were not very receptive.

However, when she finally made it to Joseph's house, she was warmly welcomed by Emma and Joseph. And when he put his hand on hers and told her to tell them her story of her journey, (I'm paraphrasing), I just get so choked up I can't talk. And I am an ex-member!

Thanks again for your perspective. I admit I still have problems with calling out the news about the Church's black members, but I also admit I had not looked at it from the perspectivce of a black member. I just assumed he/she would agree. After all of my time on the site, I should know better than that!

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

Keith,

Well, I guess you showed me! :P

Like I said, I am conflicted about the black.lds website. I do think it serves a function that you can find no where else.

Perhaps a day will come when it is no longer necessary? Maybe the day will come when all members know about Elijah, though if you were to put that question to a number of members, their answer would be: "I don't need to know about Elijah Able to have a testimony." Which is true. But I see a concerted effort by some to de-emphasize the Church's history.

I believe this is impossible as the Church IS its history, from the First Vision forward.

Anyway, I appreciate your post, and feel very small next to it, as you obviously know the situation much better than I.

By the way, Jane Manning James is absolutely my FAVORITE pioneer. I will always remember the first time I read about her, and her extraordinary life, even though she was denied that which she wished for most.

Her story of walking from Ohio to Nauvoo, IMO, should be taught to every Church member, as there are not many examples as profound as hers.

I also get choked up when I read the story of how, when she finally made it to Nauvoo, the people there were not very receptive.

However, when she finally made it to Joseph's house, she was warmly welcomed by Emma and Joseph. And when he put his hand on hers and told her to tell them her story of her journey, (I'm paraphrasing), I just get so choked up I can't talk. And I am an ex-member!

Thanks again for your perspective.

Elphaba

your just an ex member on paper......:D:D:p:p

Being a member of the Church for the past decade and being Black and currently serving as a member of the Bishopric (First Counselor), I perhaps view this story in a different light. First of all, please understand that this brother is the first Black Bishop to lead a Delaware congregation for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but he is not the first Black bishop of the Church. Brother Joseph Freeman, who currently resides in Utah, was the first Black to be ordained to the Priesthood after the 1978 Revelation and he also served as a Bishop for a time.

Now, as far as the organization kown as Genesis, I personally feel that it serves a very worthwhile purpose for both Black and White members of the Church. You may be interested in knowing that President Thomas S. Monson was one of the people that was very instrumental in getting that organization started. In fact, it was he (then Elser Thomas S. Monson) who was a part of the sealing ordinances in the Salt Lake Temple for Brother Joseph Freeman and his family. Further, there are several White members that are a large part of the organization Genesis. I am a friend and have email contact with one of them. She is the author and producer of the movie "Jane Manning James: Your Sister In The Gospel" which is based on the true story of a Black sister who was a member of the Church and lived for a time with the Prohet Joseph Smith and Emma. She personally knew every Prophet from Joseph Smith to Joseph F. Smith and in fact, Joseph F. Smith spoke at her funeral. Now, I ask you, how many members have ever heard of Brother Joseph Freeman, or Jane Manning James for that matter? In my opinion the Genesis organization is necessary in teaching both Black and White members about the Black history of the Church and the fact that there were indeed many Black pioneers that played a significant role in the early Church. Unfortunately, you will not learn these facts in any of our regular Sunday meetings. I personally feel that these facts are equally important for all members to know,

As far as the 30 year celebration of the 1978 revelation, there again I take a different stand. As a Black member, this is a very significant event in the history of the Church. Think of all of the Black males that were denied holding the Priesthood even though they were worthy to do so. To finally be told that the Lord has spoken and now all worthy males, regardless of race, could now hold the Priesthood was indeed a reason to celebrate. In a sense, I believe that Revelation helped to ease some of the preconceptions by Blacks that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was prejudice against its Black members. Again, in my humble opinion, a reason to celebrate.Keep in mind as well that Blacks did hold the Priesthood during the days of the Prophet Joseph Smith. One name that comes to mind is Elija Abel.

The Lord knows my true heart and intentions so please understand that as a Black member it is sometimes refreshing to hear about the Black pioneer heritage instead of just hearing about -- for lack of a better way to put it -- the White history of the Church. Be honest and try to imagine if you were a Black member. How would you truly feel about all of this? This is the Lord's Church. We are all His children -- Red, Yellow, Black, or White -- we are all precious in His sight. Therefore, we should have a harmonious balance of learning about and from each other. Let us come together and reason together says the Lord. Personally, I would love to see a fireside about Black Mormon pioneers and their role in the Church. I think that it would be an eye opener and a great learning experience for all members.

Finally, the website that you refer to Why This Web Site :: Blacklds.org in my humble opinion is another outreach in educating the entire membership pf the Church. I personally don't see it as trying to make the Black members stand out in any way. You may also be interested in knowing that the site was originally started by two White members (husband and wife) of the Church.

I hope some of my rambling makes sense. I love all of my Brothers and Sisters. Not a single one of them is more important than another regardless of race. We are all members of one family and we need each other. There is so much that we can learn from one another. Again, the Lord says, LET US COME TOGETHER AND REASON TOGETHER.

:clap:

I wonder if we are talking about two different issues here. It seems to me that the black history is just as important as any history of any race or any group of people and should be recorded and shared just the same as the Asian history or the Native American history including all the significant players. In my view, it shouldn't be the "black" history or the "Asian" history that should be given extra attention. After all, isn't it the LDS history we are learning about? And isn't that history expanding as the church enters new countries and into new cultures?

I still think that there is something to be said about having the history speak without emphasizing that black people are extra special because they have somehow been "brought back into favor with God" -- a notion that has never sat right with me. And perhaps the racist history of the United States is an inseparable part of church history and a part that should be told as well. It definitely has played a role. But maybe, if it can be understood correctly, then it can add to the fabric of this restoration story and help others see our history more accurately.

But I still think that I would like to see Latter-day saints evolve into a different attitude today.....where all of us, are simply seen as children of God and part of global story of this church. I think that might be a little of what Elphaba was trying to say. Maybe???? I mean why can't it just be Jim on the cover who just happens to be black or Maribel who just happens to be Latin? And then just maybe a white person could be profiled without being seen as something preferential.

Edited by Misshalfway

But I still think that I would like to see Latter-day saints evolve into a different attitude today.....where all of us, are simply seen as children of God and part of global story of this church. I think that might be a little of what Elphaba was trying to say. Maybe???? I mean why can't it just be Jim on the cover who just happens to be black or Maribel who just happens to be Latin? And then just maybe a white person could be profiled without being seen as something preferential.

Yes, Miss, this is exactly what I meant, and I am so glad you are eloquent enough to capture it.

Elphaba

Misshalfway I think that you have very eloquently summed up what Elphaba was saying as well as what I was trying to say and emphasize as a Black member of the Church and from that perspective.

Yes, I do agree that we are all children of God and there should be no emphasis placed on one race over another. But, the fact remains that there are still those in the Church today who in some cases don't feel quite as welcome because of their race. I personally pray for the day when race is no longer an issue in any area of life. A day when, as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. so beautifully expressed it, "All men will be judged by the content of their charcater and not the color of their skin." Please understand my comments were in no way meant to sound prejudice. But, I am a realist. And, as a Black member and a member of a Bishopric, I perhaps see, hear, and understand things from a different perspective. Let us keep in mind that people such as President Thomas S. Monson (our beloved Prophet, Seer, and Revelator) would not be so much in favor of groups/organizations such as Genesis if there were no real purpose for such a group.

You asked if perhaps we are talking about two separate issues. No, I don't think so. The issue is alive and well in the Church as well as in society as a whole. I will say and agree that as the Church continues to grow and more and more people of all races become members, the whole issue of race becomes more transparent. I do fully understand what you are saying and what Elphaba has said and appreciate both of your posts. You make excellent points. Please try and understand where I am coming from as a Black member of the Church and where I sit on this issue.

I agree that we are all learning about Church history and it is all of OUR history. I will further agree that our testimonies should not rest nor rely upon any particular event or character in that history. I truly believe that this is the Lord's true Church. I truly believe that Joseph Smith was a Prophet. But, my testimony of the glorious Gospel is based on my faith and my reliance upon my Lord and Savior, my Redeemer, my Rock, the Lord Jesus Christ. In the grand scheme of things, it is His Story that I am most interested in. My eternal salvation rests in Him and Him alone.

Everyone, regardless of race, played a significant role and I personally feel that there just needs to be more of a harmonious balnce. Let the entire story be told and let ALL of the charcaters in the story be named just as you have said. Maybe, just maybe, when we do that, everyone will have a fuller understanding and there will no longer be a need for such organizations as Genesis or websites like Why This Web Site :: Blacklds.org. And, as both of you have pointed out, on that day, people will no longer care what race is represented on the front cover of a magazine, but the only thing that they will see on that front cover is a member, one who is representative of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. May God speed that day.

Edited by KeithLBrown
Additions and corrections to text

Just a little PS......

I am white and have been all my life :) and grew up in a predominantly white neighborhood. Most of my friends of color came from Asia, Latin countries, or the Islands. So, I really have little to no experience with what a black person may feel like growing up in the USA other than what I read and see.

I will tell you, though, where I grew up, if a black person moved in, they were a celebrity or the coolest person to know! It hurts me that some still feel that they are not welcome because of color. I wonder if it is the unfamiliarity with our separate experience that separates us or that may be interpreted as a color issue when perhaps it isn't. I don't know. I can't know. I just wish it were all different. Perhaps we are getting there.....slowly.....

(I will share that my very first slow dance of my life was with a handsome black gentleman football player from Snow college. It was a lionel Richie song. I was 14. I nearly melted! I thought I had died and gone to heaven!! )