History of the Word of Wisdom

Moksha

Long story short is that the LORD warned the saints against intoxicants and many listened while some didn't. After many years, Church leadership, forbade temple attendance to those not living certain aspects of the Word of Wisdom, namely: Alcohol, Coffee, Tea, Tobacco, and harmful drugs.

All of the substances warned against are harmless if used properly.

-a-train

Joseph Smith was having meetings upstairs in the Johnson home, where he and Emma lived. She complained about having to clean up after all the men who smoked and chewed in the room. So, she asked Joseph to do something about it. As with all matters, he took it to the Lord, and surprisingly received the Word of Wisdom that expanded on what is now our health code.

Joseph Smith was having meetings upstairs in the Johnson home, where he and Emma lived. She complained about having to clean up after all the men who smoked and chewed in the room. So, she asked Joseph to do something about it. As with all matters, he took it to the Lord, and surprisingly received the Word of Wisdom that expanded on what is now our health code.

In addition to this, when Joseph would go to attend meetings with the brethren, he was offended by the smoke filled room. He counseled with the Lord and the WofW was announced as Rameumptom mentioned above.

am I wrong....I thought that took place at the Whitney's....above the store....

am I wrong....I thought that took place at the Whitney's....above the store....

It is my understanding it was in Emma and Joseph's home. He'd hold the School of the Prophets upstairs where everyone would smoke pipes and chew tobacco.

While Joseph also smoked pipes and chewed tobacco, he did not like entering a smoky room.

It's then that he too the matter to the Lord.

That is how I remember it. I'll try a find a reference.

Elphaba

It is my understanding it was in Emma and Joseph's home. He'd hold the School of the Prophets upstairs where everyone would smoke pipes and chew tobacco.

While Joseph also smoked pipes and chewed tobacco, he did not like entering a smoky room.

It's then that he too the matter to the Lord.

That is how I remember it. I'll try a find a reference.

Elphaba

yes......it was when she was cleaning the school of the prophets upstairs in the whitney store..

This brings us to 1833 when, in the School of the Prophets, Emma had complained about the smoke-filled room and was tired of cleaning up tobacco juice. She importuned Joseph, who importuned the Lord, and Section 89 was born. [5]

Footnotes:

[5]

This story regarding the Word of Wisdom in the school of prophets was recounted by Brigham Young, though he was not in attendance at the time, (see JD 12:157-158).

David Whitmer told a slightly different account in a newspaper article 50 years after the meeting.

Quite a little party of the brethren and sisters being assembled in the Smith's house. Some of the men were excessive chewers of the filthy weed, and their disgusting slobbering and spitting caused Mrs. Smith...to make the ironical remark that 'It would be a good thing if a revelation could be had declaring the use of tobacco a sin, and commanding its suppression.' The matter was taken up and joked about, one of the brethren suggest that the revelation should also provide for a total abstinence form tea and coffee drinking, intending this as a counter dig at the sisters. Sure enough the subject was afterward taken up in dead earnest, and the 'Word of Wisdom' was the result (Des Moines Daily News (Des Moines, Iowa), October 16, 1886; as quoted by Peterson, "An Historical Analysis," 20-21, fully notated in 6 below).

It should be noted Whitmer had apostatized at the time of the articles publication, but the general feeling of his statements agree with Brigham Young's account that Emma had some influence in the reception of the revelation.

Zebedee Coltrin, who was present at the school when the revelation was presented, recounted his experience in 1883 when the School of the Prophets was revived by President John Taylor:

When the Word of Wisdom was first presented by the Prophet Joseph (as he came out of the translating room) and was read to the School, there were twenty out of the twenty-one who used tobacco and they all immediately threw their tobacco and pipes into the fire.

According to Coltrin, it took longer for the school to refrain from tea and coffee:

Those who gave up using tobacco eased off on licorice root, but there was not easing off on tea and coffee, these they had to give up straight off or their fellowship was jeopardized. [Coltrin]never saw the Prophet Joseph drink tea or coffee again until at Dixon about ten years after (Source: Minutes, Salt Lake City School of the Prophets, October 3, 1883).

It has been suggested that President Taylor revived the school, in part, to encourage the brethren to obey the Word of Wisdom.

Life On Gold Plates: The Development of the Word of Wisdom