Mentally Handicapped People

HoosierGuy

Why are some people on this earth mentally handicapped? I was in a gas station last night. A van pulled up and let some mentally handicapped people out to get drinks.

Are these people this way because they were so righteous in the pre-life that Father made them this way so they would not have to experience all the horrors and sadness of this life? Are some of them made that way because they were great warriors during the war in the pre-life and received wounds so bad that they carried over to this life?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or are some this way so that we can learn to be more understanding of others who are a little different than we are. Do we walk the other way when we see them? Do we give them a smile and try to be friendly?

Ben Raines

And now I'm ashamed of myself. I did not try to be friendly. I just walked in and got my drink and waited patiently for them count their money and pay for their drinks. I was patient tho. I was not going to get mad because they were a little slow. At that time I was thinking why Father made them that way. If I was asked at that moment why they were made that way I would have said what I said in the first post.

I prefer to look at such things from a purely mortal/physical perspective. Some people are mentally handicapped because they have developmental problems stemming from their embryonic development or brain injuries at some point. Others have a genetic predisposition toward mental imbalance or low performance abilities. Still others grew up in a stultifying environment and were never able to develop their innate gifts. Some few perhaps simply chose the path of least resistance, refusing to grow -- the mental equivalent of what neonatal nurses call "failure to thrive".

The hopeful element is that each of these reasons is amenable to correction or at least amelioration. As Joseph Smith taught, all who come into this world can grow and improve.

How does this relate to premortal conditions and God's plan for the individual? I don't know, and what's more, I think that we cannot know the answer to such questions at this point in our existence. In some very few cases, such an answer might be revealed for a particular individual, but that would have little meaning on the subject as a whole. We might as well ask why some people are tall or skinny or have blond hair or a big nose.

I have two sons who are mentally challenged. I don't call it Handicap.. Because they are capable of doing many things! My oldest is 28 with autism and schizophrenia, compulsive disorder and many other things.. He is my WARRIOR. and my gentle giant..... I love him with all my heart..... He lives in a state facility. His Patriachal blessing says that he was a warrior before he came here.. I truly believe it cause of his strength. He has a great love for Music.... Primary songs help to sooth his soul.

My other son is 26 he has Autism. He also has a love for music.... He is my calender! He can remember everybody's birthday and all other kinds of info that my brain cannot handle! He is social butterfly like his Mom is!

I know without a shadow of a doubt that Heavenly Father watches over my boys and protects them from harm....... I wouldn't change a thing about them.

When you see someone with challenges.... Talk to them. don't stare at them. They have feelings just like we do.......they just cannot express it like we can. Sometimes it is very difficult for them to express what they need,, and they get frustrated.... If we listen we will know what they need.

Heavenly Father is mindful of them and knows who they are.

LOVE Is the Key.......... LOVE Another as I have loved you.

In Elder James E. Faust's book called, "In the Strength of the Lord", there is a chapter that deals with this topic...

DISABILITIES

I WISH TO say a word of appreciation for those among us who struggle with handicaps, and impart a message of comfort to their families, especially to the parents. Where in all of the world is the son or daughter of God who is totally without blemish? Is life not worth living if it is not perfect? Do not the people with handicaps also bring their own special gifts to life—and to others who are free of those handicaps—in a manner that cannot come in any other way? There is hardly a family without one of its members who might be considered physically or mentally diminished. I have a great appreciation for those loving parents who stoically bear and overcome their anguish and heartbreak for a child who was born with or who has developed a serious mental or physical infirmity. This anguish often continues every day, without relief, during the lifetime of the parent or the child. Not infrequently, parents are required to give superhuman nurturing care that never ceases, day or night. Many a mother's arms and heart have ached years on end, giving comfort and relieving the suffering of her special child. ("The Works of God," Ensign, Nov. 1984, 54.)

THE ANGUISH OF parents upon first learning that their child is not developing normally can be indescribable. The tearful concern, the questions about what the child will and will not be able to do are heartrending: "Doctor, will our child be able to talk, walk, care for himself?" Often there are no certain answers but one: "You will have to be grateful for whatever development your child achieves."

The paramount concern is always how to care for the person who is handicapped. The burden of future nurturing can seem overwhelming. Looking ahead to the uncertain years or even to a lifetime of constant, backbreaking care may seem more than one can bear. There are often many tears before reality is acknowledged. Parents and family members can then begin to accept and take the burden a day at a time.

Said one great mother of a severely handicapped child: "I gradually began to take only one day at a time, and it didn't seem so hard. In fact, at the end of each day I would thank the Lord for the strength I had to get through that day and pray that tomorrow would be as good. That way I learned to love him and appreciate his place in our home."

A missionary writing to his parents said of his severely handicapped younger brother: "Mom, kiss Billy every day for me. In one of the discussions we learned that my little brother is an automatic winner of the kingdom of God. I only pray that I too may live with my Heavenly Father and see my little brother and talk and converse with him. He's a special gift, and we are truly blessed." ("The Works of God," Ensign, Nov. 1984, 54.)

HOW ARE THE works of God manifest in these, our handicapped brothers and sisters? Surely they are manifested greatly in the loving care and attention given by parents, other family members, friends, and associates. The handicapped are not on trial. Those of us who live free of such limitations are the ones who are on trial. While those with handicaps cannot be measured in the same way as others, many of the handicapped benefit immensely from each accomplishment, no matter how small.

The handiwork of God is manifest with respect to the handicapped in many ways. It is demonstrated in the miraculous way in which many individuals with mental and physical impediments are able to adjust and compensate for their limitations. Occasionally, other senses become more functional and substitute for the impaired senses in a remarkable way. A young friend greatly retarded in speech and movement repaired a complicated clock although she had had no previous training or experience in watch or clock making.

Many of the special ones are superior in many ways. They, too, are in a life of progression, and new things unfold for them each day as with us all. They can be extraordinary in their faith and spirit. Some are able, through their prayers, to communicate with the infinite in a most remarkable way. Many have a pure faith in others and a powerful belief in God. They can give their spiritual strength to others around them. ("The Works of God," Ensign, Nov. 1984, 54, 59.)

FOR THE HANDICAPPED, trying to cope with life is often like trying to reach the unreachable. But recall the words of the Prophet Joseph Smith: "All the minds and spirits that God ever sent into the world are susceptible of enlargement" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1938], p. 354). Certainly, in the infinite mercy of God, those with physical and mental limitations will not remain so after the Resurrection. At this time, Alma says, "The spirit and the body shall be reunited again in its perfect form; both limb and joint shall be restored to its proper frame" (Alma 11:43). Afflictions, like mortality, are temporary.

Surely more sharing of the burden will contribute to the emotional salvation of the person who is the primary caregiver. Just an hour of help now and then would be appreciated. One mother of a child who is handicapped said, "I could never dream of going to Hawaii on a vacation; all I can hope for is to have an evening away from home." ("The Works of God," Ensign, Nov. 1984, 59.)

THE SAVIOR'S TEACHING that handicaps are not punishment for sin, either in the parents or the handicapped, can also be understood and applied in today's circumstances. How can it possibly be said that an innocent child born with a special problem is being punished? Why should parents who have kept themselves free from social disease, addicting chemicals, and other debilitating substances which might affect their offspring imagine that the birth of a disabled child is some form of divine disapproval? Usually, both the parents and the children are blameless. The Savior of the world reminds us that God "maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust" (Matt. 5:45). ("The Works of God," Ensign, Nov. 1984, 59.)

MAY I EXPRESS a word of gratitude and appreciation to those many who minister with such kindness and skill to our handicapped people. Special commendation belongs to parents and family members who have cared for their own children with special needs in the loving atmosphere of their own home. The care of those who are diminished is a special service rendered to the Master himself, for "inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these. . . , ye have done it unto me" (Matt. 25:40).

Parents of handicapped children are occasionally embarrassed or hurt by others who awkwardly express sympathy but cannot know or appreciate the depth of the parents' love for a handicapped child. Perhaps there is some comparison in the fact that there is no less love in families for the helpless infant who must be fed, bathed, and diapered than for the older but still dependent members. We love those we serve and who need us.

Is it not possible to look beyond the canes, the wheelchairs, the braces, and the crutches into the hearts of the people who have need of these aids? They are human beings and want only to be treated as ordinary people. They may appear different, move awkwardly, and speak haltingly, but they have the same feelings. They laugh, they cry, they know discouragement and hope. They do not want to be shunned. They want to be loved for what they are inside, without any prejudice for their impairment. Can there not be more tolerance for differences—differences in capacity, differences in body and in mind?

Those who are close to the handicapped can frequently feel the nobility of the spirits who are confined in differently shaped bodies or who have crippled minds. ("The Works of God," Ensign, Nov. 1984, 59.)

I feel with my sons that they were given to me to learn patience. They are such a special gift. Even though my oldest may not be as book smart as other children his age, he is very spiritual. When I am stressed out, he will remind me to pray and that Heavenly Father loves me. My 2nd oldest seems to have special insight when we read the scriptures. They are such a special gift and I know that I am a better person because of them. I love all 4 of my boys and am glad for what they can teach me.

One thing I know is these special children of our Heavenly Father LOVE unconditionally......... I know when I look in their eyes I can see the glow! I love when I go to special needs mutual and get all the hugs I could ever ask for! I have one Young lady with Downs Syndrome who is 43 she comes up to me and just HUGS ME tight.... She radiates the love of Christ.

There are times when My boys are just as we are. They get angry. they get frustrated...... they throw temper tantrums! ....this morning when I asked my son to put deodorant on cause he didn't shower, He storms up the stairs.... I just tell him he cannot take his music to work........ He then goes and does what I requested of him then comes back to say he was sorry........ He gets his music and we are both happy campers!

I have a sweetly loving nephew with autism. My husband's younger brother also has mental and physical disabilties. Both of them have mourned not being able to do the "rites of passage" that "normal" people are able to do. Anthony mourns not being able to marry a "normal" girl, Ben mourns not ever being able to drive. Anthony has spoken and sorrowed about being different, Ben has a hard time socializing with people like him, because he doesn't want to be seen as "one of them," either. Each has their burden to bear with their own challenges. I love them dearly, and always want to reach out to be kind and talk to them, to show an interest in them and to let them know that they have worth and value too! They are sweet wonderful men, and always show love to me when I'm around them.

I don't know why people are born this way. I believe maybe they chose these trials for themselves and those around them as well. I was told in a priesthood blessing years ago that I had agreed to having diabetes in this life. It makes sense to me that we all were presented with a "rough draft" of the particular trials/tribulations that we would face in this life, and were given the choice of having them, or not. It helps me to be at peace with my diabetes.

Again, these two men mean so much to me, and I love them just like I love my other brothers/sisters, nephews/niece. They have a sweet purity about them and leave me feeling very loved myself.

Yesterday I found myself wondering once again about this issue and pleading with my Daddy in Heaven for understanding--why I was born with my limitations, and why my children were as well. I went to the LDS disabilities website and found this gem from Joseph Smith:

“I have no doubt but that you will agree with me that men will be held accountable for the things which they have and not for the things they have not or that all the light and intelligence communicated to them from their beneficent creator whether it is much or little by the same they in justice will be judged, and that they are required to yield obedience and improve upon that and that only which is given, for man is not to live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.”

Does knowing this make the trials of mortality ("lifestuff") any easier? Not necessarily.

Does it make it easier to put my trust in "Daddy" and to let His arms encircle me in safety? Immeasurably.

And thus he shall bring salvation to all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance.

And thus mercy can satisfy the demands of justice, and encircles them in the arms of safety. (Alma 14:15-16)

We can't know for sure, of course, but I have felt that these individuals are indeed the most valiant warriors and followers of Christ in the pre-mortal existence, and I also feel that they each and everyone volunteered to come to this life under these circumstances. It's not doctrine, of course, just my belief.

It's what I believe as well.

Disclaimer: Again not doctrine just my belief.

• 1 month later...

I have wondered the same thing, I have a brother and sister who are both severely disabled. I did some research and found that prophet sear and revelator Harold B Lee had this to say...

"This privilege of obtaining a mortal body on this earth is seemingly so priceless that those in the spirit world, even though unfaithful or not valient, were undoubtedly permitted to take mortal bodies although under penalty of racial or physical or nationalistic limitations...." (Decisions for Successful Living pp 164-65) TLDP:497

So I guess this means that you weren't valient enough in the preexistence fight with Satan and therefore under penalty you were given physical limitations.

It is our nature to want reasons. In this subject, reasons do not always come. We do know that congenital disabilities are not given as punishments for the parent or the child (Christ dealt with the topic in speaking of a blind child), but sometimes there are no other discernible reasons besides "God is in control."

I believe that we can do more good by asking what we can do to benefit the handicapped than by asking why they are in that state.

It is our nature to want reasons. In this subject, reasons do not always come. We do know that congenital disabilities are not given as punishments for the parent or the child (Christ dealt with the topic in speaking of a blind child), but sometimes there are no other discernible reasons besides "God is in control."

I believe that we can do more good by asking what we can do to benefit the handicapped than by asking why they are in that state.

WE DO KNOW WHY..the Prophet Sear and Revelator Harold B Lee had this to say on the subject...

"This privilege of obtaining a mortal body on this earth is seemingly so priceless that those in the spirit world, even though unfaithful or not valient, were undoubtedly permitted to take mortal bodies although under penalty of racial or physical or nationalistic limitations...." (Decisions for Successful Living pp 164-65) TLDP:497

Therefore handicapped people were not valient enough in the preexistence.

I have wondered the same thing, I have a brother and sister who are both severely disabled. I did some research and found that prophet sear and revelator Harold B Lee had this to say...

So I guess this means that you weren't valient enough in the preexistence fight with Satan and therefore under penalty you were given physical limitations.

I do not believe this!! How can Spirit's be UNFAITHFUL in the Preexistence??? If you think for one minute thatt your bother and sister were unfaithfull then you better think again.

I KNOW my son's were faithfull before they came to this earth.

A couple of weeks ago, my son and I were playing golf and the club that we play at had a tournament going on for some teens....mostly down syndrome teens or similar handicap. As I left the club house, I heard a voice in my head say that I was in the presence of some of the Lord' most valiant Spirits and I immediately felt the Spirit so strong that it brought tears to my eyes.

Severe handicap has nothing to do in not being faithful in the spirit world but those who do not need to be tested and made the request to come forth in mortal state. I do believe the test comes into play as parents and those surround them in life journey.

Yes! I do believe the same as President Lee with the lesser spirits, which were many in my opinion, that were given bodies but handicapped to location of birth, culture, and parents. I used the term handicapped in not the usual literal term but where the lesser valiant spirits were rewarded in coming to earth. Now, this doesn't stop anyone to find the truth or take upon themselves the harder path to finding the truth. We had our agency to make that choice while here. Some of us, had chosen the harder path in seeking a greater reward and learn different lessons and experiences in this life. ^_^